Strong Welds

Thread: Strong Welds

Cross Bike Collector.....

Strong Welds

Ok so it's no secrect I'm a huge fan of Carl. Being a Moots owner is being someone who appreciates beautiful welds, thus I had to share.
    I found this beauty on Carls website. All you Strong owners out there, enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have compassion for your fellow man

[Wheels]
    Somehow, "beautiful" doesn't quite cover it. (mechanical engineering student and cx lover )
    I'm so fast I beat people who don't even know they're racing me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

welds?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat&SlowVelo
    Ok so it's no secrect I'm a huge fan of Carl. Being a Moots owner is being someone who appreciates beautiful welds, thus I had to share.
    I found this beauty on Carls website. All you Strong owners out there, enjoy!
    do 'beautiful welds" make the frame stronger? I believe some frames even had welds finished to "look better".

n00bsauce
    No, beautiful welds don't necessarily make a frame stronger but they do demonstrate a high degree of care in manufacturing and thus are an indication of overall quality. Many manufacturers finish their welds to look better and one reason is because they don't look too good unfinished and buyers might assume they're of poor quality and it would impact sales. Does this mean they're poor welds? No, but it does probably mean they were welded by less skilled craftsmen on more of an assembly line manufacturing approach. They take less time and the builder can sell them for less. The Henry Ford paradigm. They are certainly "good enough".

A weld as consistent as the Strong weld in the picture takes great skill and more time and is, over the long haul, probably a better weld (and much more beautiful, IMHO). Fact is, most welds, whether beautiful or not, bare or finished, will hold up over a lifetime and then some, probably longer than the tube itself. I'd have to guess that the failure rate for less consistent welds that have been finished is marginally higher than a weld like Strong's, but that's just a wild a$$ed supposition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This your new Strong PSV??? If so congrats. If not whatcha gettin'? C'mon you can let me know. And the Zank?

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

RoadBikeReview Member

BTW, I'm a Strong weld fan

I love my Strong.

singlecross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross
    This your new Strong PSV??? If so congrats. If not whatcha gettin'? C'mon you can let me know. And the Zank?

singlecross
    This bike is way too big for me. My 2nd Strong is going to be a road bike, not a crosser.
    The Zank is a crosser, being painted right now......

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat&SlowVelo
    This bike is way too big for me. My 2nd Strong is going to be a road bike, not a crosser.
    The Zank is a crosser, being painted right now......
    And mighty pretty it is too ( the Zank that is).

I have been riding my factory built Rocky Mountain CX bike around the Laurentien Mountains ( actually hills) north of Montreal the last few days.

I always forget how much I love having a CX bike under me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    No, beautiful welds don't necessarily make a frame stronger but they do demonstrate a high degree of care in manufacturing and thus are an indication of overall quality. Many manufacturers finish their welds to look better and one reason is because they don't look too good unfinished and buyers might assume they're of poor quality and it would impact sales. Does this mean they're poor welds? No, but it does probably mean they were welded by less skilled craftsmen on more of an assembly line manufacturing approach. They take less time and the builder can sell them for less. The Henry Ford paradigm. They are certainly "good enough".

A weld as consistent as the Strong weld in the picture takes great skill and more time and is, over the long haul, probably a better weld (and much more beautiful, IMHO). Fact is, most welds, whether beautiful or not, bare or finished, will hold up over a lifetime and then some, probably longer than the tube itself. I'd have to guess that the failure rate for less consistent welds that have been finished is marginally higher than a weld like Strong's, but that's just a wild a$$ed supposition.
    The welds are nice you are right on a few levels. After all a pretty weld means nothing if the tolerances of the miters were bad and the tubes didn't fit great before the weld. Or great welds on cheap tubes, and poor alignment. Not that this is the case with the Strong but so many people only look at welds which is only one small part.

n00bsauce
    But, it's highly unlikely that a builder would put the time, effort and skill into great welds without other parts of the build process being quality work as well. Welds are a signature and they're indicative of quality throughout the process.

A Canadian in Sweden
    PSV, we're already members of the Moots club, what about joining the Strong club together?
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

Tmb

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    And mighty pretty it is too ( the Zank that is).

I have been riding my factory built Rocky Mountain CX bike around the Laurentien Mountains ( actually hills) north of Montreal the last few days.

I always forget how much I love having a CX bike under me.
    "I always forget how much I love having a CX bike under me"
    It just warms my heart to hear you say that TMB,

True Dat

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    But, it's highly unlikely that a builder would put the time, effort and skill into great welds without other parts of the build process being quality work as well. Welds are a signature and they're indicative of quality throughout the process.
    Very well said Mel, couln't have said it better myself!

Hi Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    PSV, we're already members of the Moots club, what about joining the Strong club together?
    well, I'm already an owner of a Carl Strong, this will be #2.
    Incredible experiance, Incredible builder, Incredible bike. I'm sure Carl would build you one Wayne, all you gotta do is call him.
    Ask TerryB what he thinks of Carl, or anybody who owns one for that matter. A Strong Crosser would look good on you Wayne.