TCR SL 1 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 2021
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020

TCR SL 1 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 2021

Hey guys,

What would be a better bike between these two, TCR SL 1 disc 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 disc 2021? Both bike are at the same price.

Some points:
    - SL 2020 is a better quality carbon frame and it is stiffer,
    - pro 0 2021 frame has been redesigned and is more aero,
    - ISP is not an issue for me as I don't travel with my bikes,
    - I equally like sram and di2 so eventually I think the choice comes down to which frame is better.*

Thanks*

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Can you provide links? Not seeing either one on the US Giant site.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Can you provide links? Not seeing either one on the US Giant site.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tc...ced-pro-0-disc

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tc...sl-1-disc-2020

Thanks

I'd probably go w/ the '20 as I like SRAM a little better than Shimano. Also the ISM should give you a slightly more comfortable ride. Are you in Melbourne?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    I'd probably go w/ the '20 as I like SRAM a little better than Shimano. Also the ISM should give you a slightly more comfortable ride. Are you in Melbourne?
    I'm in Perth mate. The 2021 model is redesigned and more aero. So i guess it comes down to what's more effective, the aeronese of 2021 or better stiffness of sl 2020 (sl has better quality carbon). What are your thoughts? Apart from sram..

I've been taught that aero is always aero, no matter the speed. I don't think you're gonna have any issues w/ ride quality especially w/ the tire sizes that fit those frames. If you like aero and you like Shimano...there you go.
    Glad you're not in Melbs. Sounds pretty crazy.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Aero differences will be small between the two.

The major differences that matter to me most regarding these two are:
    Advanced SL 2020 - ISP - lighter
    Pro 2021 - bit heavier, but more tire clearance (30-32mm?). Probably a bit more durable due to less high mod carbon. Though durability shouldnt be an issue with either one if using it for its intended purposes and not crashing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been taught that aero is always aero, no matter the speed.
    I've always thought that aero (i.e., wind resistance) benefits are negligible at 15 mph or lower. I have limited experience on very deep dish wheels, but I hear people say that when you're going fast, say 28+ mph you can definitely feel the advantage (if there are no crosswinds).

These days my old-ass does good averaging 15mph, though I ride where there are hills. My average speed has gone down 5 mph over the past six years, and I think aero advantages (related to frame design) have little benefit for me now, and is probably overstated for a lot of riders with average abilities. Aero only helps when you are going fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I've always thought that aero (i.e., wind resistance) benefits are negligible at 15 mph or lower. I have limited experience on very deep dish wheels, but I hear people say that when you're going fast, say 28+ mph you can definitely feel the advantage (if there are no crosswinds).

These days my old-ass does good averaging 15mph, though I ride where there are hills. My average speed has gone down 5 mph over the past six years, and I think aero advantages (related to frame design) have little benefit for me now, and is probably overstated for a lot of riders with average abilities. Aero only helps when you are going fast.
    You're still faster than me and i think the most important thing is that we're enjoying it I only average 33-34kph over a 1hr ride.
    Thanks for your comments mate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DII View Post
    Aero differences will be small between the two.

The major differences that matter to me most regarding these two are:
    Advanced SL 2020 - ISP - lighter
    Pro 2021 - bit heavier, but more tire clearance (30-32mm?). Probably a bit more durable due to less high mod carbon. Though durability shouldnt be an issue with either one if using it for its intended purposes and not crashing it.
    Thanks for your thoughts and a nice summary. The way I see it:
    1. 2020 SL model would be stiffer. Reading some comments online, it looks like it's significantly stiffer than pro 0 2021 model. The weight difference is not important I think as the weights of complete bikes are almost identical.
    2. 2021 pro 0 model is more aero. Giant says it's around 35 sec faster over a 40km ride at 40kph than the old model.

So what's really more significant, advantage 1 or advantage 2? I'm probably just splitting hairs as both models are great.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post

There is really no low limit to aero benefits. Of course they're more apparent at higher speeds because physics. We all know that as speed doubles the amount of power needed to maintain that speed goes up by a factor of 4. If there were a TT over a 40k course the slower rider would actually save more time than the faster rider because they're on the course longer. If there is an aero benefit to a bike it will be had no matter the speed. It's just whether it matters to the rider at whatever speed they're going.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    .... so unless your putting out 1000w++, you should probably go aero, you'll never see any difference in stiffness.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    so what bike did you get ? I favor the non disk option before they disappear.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position