TCR SL 1 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 2021
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    16

    TCR SL 1 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 2021

    Hey guys,

    What would be a better bike between these two, TCR SL 1 disc 2020 vs TCR PRO 0 disc 2021? Both bike are at the same price.

    Some points:
    - SL 2020 is a better quality carbon frame and it is stiffer,
    - pro 0 2021 frame has been redesigned and is more aero,
    - ISP is not an issue for me as I don't travel with my bikes,
    - I equally like sram and di2 so eventually I think the choice comes down to which frame is better.*

    Thanks*

  2. #2
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,281
    Can you provide links? Not seeing either one on the US Giant site.
    #promechaniclife

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Can you provide links? Not seeing either one on the US Giant site.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tc...ced-pro-0-disc

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/tc...sl-1-disc-2020

    Thanks

  4. #4
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,281
    I'd probably go w/ the '20 as I like SRAM a little better than Shimano. Also the ISM should give you a slightly more comfortable ride. Are you in Melbourne?
    #promechaniclife

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'd probably go w/ the '20 as I like SRAM a little better than Shimano. Also the ISM should give you a slightly more comfortable ride. Are you in Melbourne?
    I'm in Perth mate. The 2021 model is redesigned and more aero. So i guess it comes down to what's more effective, the aeronese of 2021 or better stiffness of sl 2020 (sl has better quality carbon). What are your thoughts? Apart from sram..

  6. #6
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,281
    I've been taught that aero is always aero, no matter the speed. I don't think you're gonna have any issues w/ ride quality especially w/ the tire sizes that fit those frames. If you like aero and you like Shimano...there you go.
    Glad you're not in Melbs. Sounds pretty crazy.
    #promechaniclife

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    205
    Aero differences will be small between the two.

    The major differences that matter to me most regarding these two are:
    Advanced SL 2020 - ISP - lighter
    Pro 2021 - bit heavier, but more tire clearance (30-32mm?). Probably a bit more durable due to less high mod carbon. Though durability shouldnt be an issue with either one if using it for its intended purposes and not crashing it.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've been taught that aero is always aero, no matter the speed.
    I've always thought that aero (i.e., wind resistance) benefits are negligible at 15 mph or lower. I have limited experience on very deep dish wheels, but I hear people say that when you're going fast, say 28+ mph you can definitely feel the advantage (if there are no crosswinds).

    These days my old-ass does good averaging 15mph, though I ride where there are hills. My average speed has gone down 5 mph over the past six years, and I think aero advantages (related to frame design) have little benefit for me now, and is probably overstated for a lot of riders with average abilities. Aero only helps when you are going fast.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I've always thought that aero (i.e., wind resistance) benefits are negligible at 15 mph or lower. I have limited experience on very deep dish wheels, but I hear people say that when you're going fast, say 28+ mph you can definitely feel the advantage (if there are no crosswinds).

    These days my old-ass does good averaging 15mph, though I ride where there are hills. My average speed has gone down 5 mph over the past six years, and I think aero advantages (related to frame design) have little benefit for me now, and is probably overstated for a lot of riders with average abilities. Aero only helps when you are going fast.
    You're still faster than me and i think the most important thing is that we're enjoying it I only average 33-34kph over a 1hr ride.
    Thanks for your comments mate.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DII View Post
    Aero differences will be small between the two.

    The major differences that matter to me most regarding these two are:
    Advanced SL 2020 - ISP - lighter
    Pro 2021 - bit heavier, but more tire clearance (30-32mm?). Probably a bit more durable due to less high mod carbon. Though durability shouldnt be an issue with either one if using it for its intended purposes and not crashing it.
    Thanks for your thoughts and a nice summary. The way I see it:
    1. 2020 SL model would be stiffer. Reading some comments online, it looks like it's significantly stiffer than pro 0 2021 model. The weight difference is not important I think as the weights of complete bikes are almost identical.
    2. 2021 pro 0 model is more aero. Giant says it's around 35 sec faster over a 40km ride at 40kph than the old model.

    So what's really more significant, advantage 1 or advantage 2? I'm probably just splitting hairs as both models are great.

  11. #11
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,281
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I've always thought that aero (i.e., wind resistance) benefits are negligible at 15 mph or lower. I have limited experience on very deep dish wheels, but I hear people say that when you're going fast, say 28+ mph you can definitely feel the advantage (if there are no crosswinds).

    These days my old-ass does good averaging 15mph, though I ride where there are hills. My average speed has gone down 5 mph over the past six years, and I think aero advantages (related to frame design) have little benefit for me now, and is probably overstated for a lot of riders with average abilities. Aero only helps when you are going fast.
    There is really no low limit to aero benefits. Of course they're more apparent at higher speeds because physics. We all know that as speed doubles the amount of power needed to maintain that speed goes up by a factor of 4. If there were a TT over a 40k course the slower rider would actually save more time than the faster rider because they're on the course longer. If there is an aero benefit to a bike it will be had no matter the speed. It's just whether it matters to the rider at whatever speed they're going.
    #promechaniclife

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,370
    .... so unless your putting out 1000w++, you should probably go aero, you'll never see any difference in stiffness.
    BANNED

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rudge66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    320
    so what bike did you get ? I favor the non disk option before they disappear.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

Similar Threads

  1. Tcr sl 2020 vs tcr pro 0 2021?
    By TCR A1 Disc in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2020, 03:29 PM
  2. RBR TdF 2020 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2020!
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2020, 03:25 AM
  3. RBR TdF 2021 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2021!
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2020, 12:15 PM
  4. TCR Advanced 1 Disc vs TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2021
    By TCR A1 Disc in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM
  5. GIANT ADVAMCED TCR SL,SL-O,SL TM,SL Team
    By DuraAce85 in forum Giant
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.