Tell me about Time VX Elite or Special Pro..
    lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Tell me about Time VX Elite or Special Pro..

I am looking into a carbon fiber bike and have read some very good reviews about the Time VX Elite and the Special Pro. Anyone had any experience with these? And, if so, how is the sizing compared to other bikes. I normally ride a 59-60 top tube bike and am curious how the Time frames differ, if at all, on sizing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have not ridden an Elite but have owned the Special Pro for the past year. Very nice bike. Imo, on par with the Look's and Colnago's of the world.

Maybe a bit over-priced brand new, but can be had very reasonably on the used market. I think there are a few frames and complete bikes listed here in the classifieds.

If memory serves me, the largest top tube Time has is a 58cm ctc. Please let me know if you need any further dimensions as I believe I have one of their spec sheets lying around. All in all, I would highly recommend their frames.

Regards,
    Jeff

Jun 2004
    Both the Special Pro and Elite are great frames. I owned an Elite last year before upgrading to the new Time Edge. The sizing for the Elite and Special Pro is traditional frame sizing, so you would likely go for a 58-60 cm Time. Also, both the Special Pro and Elite are discontinued, so really good deals can be found. The differences from the Special Pro to the Elite are: the steer tube on the fork for the special pro is carbon, the elite is aluminium; the special pro is made with high modulus fiber and the elite is high resistance fiber (besides cost the real difference is a slight stiffness although the Elite is plenty stiff without punishing your body over really long rides). Both are great bikes. I work for a distributor of Time frames and if you let me know your location, I could see if any frames are still available. I almost think that we've got an Elite 58cm on the shelf still, won't know until monday though. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you. I will see if I can find the tube dimension chart for the Elite and Special pro so you can see the different tube lengths and perhaps determine what your fit would be.
    It's not normally like this...

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Thanks! I llive in

Quote Originally Posted by amontillado
    Both the Special Pro and Elite are great frames. I owned an Elite last year before upgrading to the new Time Edge. The sizing for the Elite and Special Pro is traditional frame sizing, so you would likely go for a 58-60 cm Time. Also, both the Special Pro and Elite are discontinued, so really good deals can be found. The differences from the Special Pro to the Elite are: the steer tube on the fork for the special pro is carbon, the elite is aluminium; the special pro is made with high modulus fiber and the elite is high resistance fiber (besides cost the real difference is a slight stiffness although the Elite is plenty stiff without punishing your body over really long rides). Both are great bikes. I work for a distributor of Time frames and if you let me know your location, I could see if any frames are still available. I almost think that we've got an Elite 58cm on the shelf still, won't know until monday though. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them for you. I will see if I can find the tube dimension chart for the Elite and Special pro so you can see the different tube lengths and perhaps determine what your fit would be.
    the Bay Area (Northern California). I would love to take a look at one up close. l haven't seen any of them since the bike show in October.

Jun 2004
    On monday I'll see if I know of any shops in the Bay Area that may have one. Because they are discontinued and there are 2 new frames to replace the Elite and Special Pro it may be difficult to find one. I'll let you know what I find.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Thanks again. Are the replacement frames

On monday I'll see if I know of any shops in the Bay Area that may have one. Because they are discontinued and there are 2 new frames to replace the Elite and Special Pro it may be difficult to find one. I'll let you know what I find.
    compact or standard geometry?

Jun 2004
    The replacement frames, VX Edge, and VXS are compact frames. The Edge is meant to be a cheaper (cost) replacement to the Elite, with a few upgrades. Both the Edge and VXS have carbon lugs with an aluminum bottom bracket shell. The Edge comes with a complete carbon fork (including steerer). The finish on the edge is a matte clear coat over the carbon weave (really looks nice). The VXS is a gloss clear coat with some white graphics. When I was building the Edge I was able to compare the frame modules of the Elite I was selling and the Edge I was unpacking. I was quite surprised to see the Edge weigh a pound less than the elite. Here a a few photos of what my build turned out like for both the Elite and the Edge. I'm much more fond on the matte black vs the bright red, but that's just me. The real reason I went to the edge was for the sizing, I'm not complainer mind you...*lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jun 2004
    forgot to mention, the Elite is a 54cm and the Edge is a small, just so you cna see the differences between the standard geometry (Elite) and the compact (Edge).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    amontillado,

hi. i am in the market for a high end carbon frame and i am considering the time. i wanted to ask whether there is a significant difference in quality or ride characteristics between the edge and the more expensive models. time frames get expensive very fast. i want to spend about 4k. if there is not much difference i will go with the edge and get better components. if there is a big difference then i will have to swap the parts from my current bike or figure out some other plan.

i want a balanced bike. stiff, comfortable, light. i do not compete but i like to ride hard.

thanks.

Jun 2004
    I've not been on the VXR or VXRS, but I understand they are very stiff racing frames. The Time Rep I deal with says he finds the Elite, Special Pro, and the new Edge to be qutie comfortable without destroying your body. I know the Elite and Edge will still accererate like a scalded monkey (my favorite comparison, although no monkeys were hurt in my test drives). I think that the Edge provides a very nice balance between racing stiff and want to ride all day. As for value, I know that Time frames are expensive, but there are few manufacturers that spin their tubes from raw carbon fiber. And even the corners cut to make the Edge a bit more affordable don't detract from the quality of the frame. I was really quite surprised to see how much of the VXRS and VXR have been put into this frame. Time spends a little less money on the detail finishing and CNC machining time to build the Edge, but that aside, I find the finish to be very detailed and flawless. I think wrench science can build one with DA10 for about $4200ish... I know it's not cheap, but it is well made, trustworthy bike.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Given all of this information and not in need of a

I've not been on the VXR or VXRS, but I understand they are very stiff racing frames. The Time Rep I deal with says he finds the Elite, Special Pro, and the new Edge to be qutie comfortable without destroying your body. I know the Elite and Edge will still accererate like a scalded monkey (my favorite comparison, although no monkeys were hurt in my test drives). I think that the Edge provides a very nice balance between racing stiff and want to ride all day. As for value, I know that Time frames are expensive, but there are few manufacturers that spin their tubes from raw carbon fiber. And even the corners cut to make the Edge a bit more affordable don't detract from the quality of the frame. I was really quite surprised to see how much of the VXRS and VXR have been put into this frame. Time spends a little less money on the detail finishing and CNC machining time to build the Edge, but that aside, I find the finish to be very detailed and flawless. I think wrench science can build one with DA10 for about $4200ish... I know it's not cheap, but it is well made, trustworthy bike.
    race steed such as the VXR or VXRS, and weighing in at 210 lbs, which bike would you recommend for a recreational, but aggressive club rider? And any shops in Bay Area where I might check them out? (P.S. I have been out of town for a few days)

Jun 2004
    I think the Special Pro would be good for standard geometry or even the new Edge if you want a compact frame. My boss is over 200lbs and he tends to brutalize any equipment he uses (pedals squares, or looks to wrestle his bike down the road). He's been riding a Special Pro for 3 years now without any problems. In the warehouse we tend to think of his success as a ringing endorsement for carbon! I would try Wrench Science (Berkley) as they are a Time dealer or in San Mateo, there is Richard Goldie Bicycles. Wrench Science has a great web site, but I think it would be worth your while to go to that store and test drive a bike or two.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Many thanks! I will

I think the Special Pro would be good for standard geometry or even the new Edge if you want a compact frame. My boss is over 200lbs and he tends to brutalize any equipment he uses (pedals squares, or looks to wrestle his bike down the road). He's been riding a Special Pro for 3 years now without any problems. In the warehouse we tend to think of his success as a ringing endorsement for carbon! I would try Wrench Science (Berkley) as they are a Time dealer or in San Mateo, there is Richard Goldie Bicycles. Wrench Science has a great web site, but I think it would be worth your while to go to that store and test drive a bike or two.
    in one of these stores this weekend and will let you know the scoop.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Checked out the Edge, VXS and VXR..

unfortunately, no demos to try at WrenchScience. Was told that the VXS and VXR could actually ride more comfortably than the Edge due to fork and flared headset (on one or the other). Seems hard to find a demo to ride around the block. Wonder what you think of the less expensive bike being more comfortable vs. what I was told?

Jun 2004
    Bummer 'bout not having a good test drive... As I've only been on the Edge and Elite I cannot compare within my own experience the VXS and VXR. But, the representative I deal with for Time owns a VXR, Special Pro, and has a lot of test rides on the VXRS, Elite, and VXS. He was quite impressed with the comfort level of the Edge and Special Pro. Now I really don't see how the flared steer tube will affect the ride. I know that it is used as a way to increase the strength of the steer tube. Anyway, the Edge is a slightly more complient ride (not to mean noodly or flexy.... it certainly isn't any of those) while the VXR is a really stiff racer. The VXS is the new replacement for the Special Pro. It's main chainge over the Special Pro is the carbon lugs and the compact frame. I personally, with the choices I have of Time frames, chose the Edge for its economic value (for a frame spun from raw carbon at the same facility, I know it's not that cheap), it's comfort (I want to do races and centuries), as well as it's relative lightness vs. strength. When I compare the equally impressive remaining Time frames I just can't afford the slight differences when going for the VXS, VXR, or the incredible VXRS. And for the style factor I really like the matte finish carbon, kinda stealth mode.... that's really just because I'm silly. Anyway I hope that sort of answered your questions, in not please let me know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    amontillado,

have u had a chance to ride the vxr or the vxrs? i am taking my time (no pun intended) chosing a bike. many bike have come and gone from the list...except times. i will probably end up with a time or look....those french know how to make bikes. anyway, if you have had a chance to experience the vxr or vxrs i would appreciate your thoughts. thanks.