Is there an intended way to ride a endurance geometry bike?
    jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Is there an intended way to ride a endurance geometry bike?

Ive looked everywhere for an answer to this question which leads me to believe that there is no intended way and that im trying to make correlations where there arent any. i bought a defy 1 about a month ago and have put about a 100 miles on it with commuting and some short rides. In addition ive been going through the usual trials of bike fit. On all my previous road and CX bikes Ive always ridden on the hoods and the tops never the drops and had relatively shallow seat-bar drop.

Ive continued this pattern of previous fit on the defy with different results then before. Im now experiencing some lower back and wrist pain. Ive raised the bars as the LBS that sold me the bike suggested but the conditions, although reduced, still persist. This has lead me to wonder if im not riding the bike in the position it was intended to be ridden in order to be more comfortable. Do i just need to spend more time on the bike, to get comfortable? Should i have the bar higher then the seat and ride in the drops or just higher bars and continue to ride in the hoods?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    There is no intended way the Giant is meant to be ridden. Heck; you could RACE this bike if you wanted and you would not be at a disadvantage.

I would try to DUPLICATE the position on your Giant with any of your previous bikes, assuming you still have one of them. Saddle height, fore/aft, reach to the bars, and bar height. Oh yeah; don't forget the brake lever position on the bars and the bar's angle; that could be a cause of your wrist pain. A ruler, tape measure, and plumb bob of some sort are all you need to set things up identically.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What I've found is lowering the bars has really helped my lower back. Tops of my bars are now 10cm below the top of the saddle. The tradeoff, of course, is more weight on the hands and wrists, but the harder you ride, the less a problem this is. This may or may not work for you, but raising the bars didn't work for me.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    This may or may not work for you, but raising the bars didn't work for me.
    Agree with looigi in that raising the bars isn't always the road to comfort. I can't know if this is what's going on with you, but "raising the bars" often is the catch-all advice of people who probably mean well, but don't know a whole lot about fitting someone to a bicycle. Having that mantra thrown at you can also indicate a lack of interest in working with a rider, as in "just raise the bars and go away." Consider having a knowledgeable person (perhaps not associated with the shop) look at you as you sit on your bike or, even better, as you pedal it with some degree of effort out on the road.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 07-09-2011 at 06:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I would look at your position vis-a-vis the bottom bracket. In other words, is your seat far back enough. If it's too far forward it may result in you leaning too hard on the bars, resulting in the pain you're experiencing.

Bsilver
    Nov 2009
    I would advise you to spend the $$$ and find a LBS that does a complete fitting. When they do this they have all the different components on hand to make the changes and when complete you should be good to go. There is also time spent riding the bike.