Thoughts on this bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Thoughts on this bike

I'm looking for my first bike and I am on a pretty tight budget. I found this on craigslist. Opinions? Thanks

Specialized Secteur Road bike

VoodooYeti
    Jul 2007
    That bike looks like it was in a crash. the scratches on the down tube, head tube and fork all line up with one nasty wreck. The fork looks like it has dents.

I also see some rust, so not well taken care of. It was probably only in the $600 range new, if that, so not a great deal to begin with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks, I asked him what year and components and he said he didn't know the year and it had "mostly Shimano stuff". Might be stolen? Or he is really dumb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    It doesn't look like it is too bad of a bike, and it would make a good starter bike. There are questions on whether a triple crank is really needed on a road bike, but not a bad option for commuting or touring.

The price seems fair.

What are your ultimate goals with the bike?

As far as the year, if it has been bought and sold a couple of times, then one might not know the exact dates on it. The only reason I know about when I bought my primary bike was because it was part of a big European Trip which I can date fairly closely. It was only recently I have been able to narrow the date of manufacture down to about a 2 year window putting my bike over a dozen years old when I bought it. For a 4 year old bike, he should have some idea when it was bought. The cranks often have a date code on them.

If concerned if it is legit, ask for a serial number to look up on the web before going to look at it with cash in hand.

Beginner
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
    As far as the year, if it has been bought and sold a couple of times, then one might not know the exact dates on it. The only reason I know about when I bought my primary bike was because it was part of a big European Trip which I can date fairly closely. It was only recently I have been able to narrow the date of manufacture down to about a 2 year window putting my bike over a dozen years old when I bought it. For a 4 year old bike, he should have some idea when it was bought. The cranks often have a date code on them.

If concerned if it is legit, ask for a serial number to look up on the web before going to look at it with cash in hand.
    You type in circles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Well I bought it for $300. Not stolen. College kid. Looks like his parents bought it for him to ride to school and he never rode it. Probably left it out on his balcony and got banged around. The carbon wasn't damaged, no dents in the frame, wheels spun true, shifted ok, chain and cassette were in good shape, no loose hubs or headset. For my tight budget, I'm happy with it. So far. Thanks everyone, excited to start riding more!!