RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Too good a deal on used Trek Madone 6 series?

I'm looking at a used Trek Madone 6 series. Seller says it's a 2013 6.2, but I can't verify that (from a distance at least). I can see on the top tube it says "Six Series", along with the usual OCLV decals, etc.

Photos show full Dura-Ace: 10-speed, brakes. Dura-Ace C24 carbon wheels. Carbon bar, alloy stem. Looks good in the photos .

He's asking $1500, and the ad has been on Craigslist for 2 months. From what I can tell looking at Trek archives, they didn't produce a 6 series in 2013 with Dura-Ace; the 7 series has Dura-Ace, but this clearly isn't that.

I can't find any Trek 6 series in the color combination (mostly black, orange trim) in the Trek archives either. Bike blue book says an excellent condition 2013 6.2 -- which has Ultegra + alloy wheels -- should be around $1400+.

Something seems hinky. Carbon wheels, full DA, yet on CL for 2 months?

I live in another state, but I'm having a friend go check it out, ride it, etc. for me tomorrow.

Is this price low? Low but in the range? Too good to be true? Seller says it has wear and tear, but hasn't been crashed -- not that I necessarily believe this, however.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Curt

Neophyte
    I don't think it's too low, once you're talking a couple of generations old components including not being the current number of speeds , value drops immensely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by curt.w View Post
    Something seems hinky. Carbon wheels, full DA, yet on CL for 2 months?
    Where is he located? San Diego or Butte, MT, or Prairie**** KS? That could have something to do with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Where is he located? San Diego or Butte, MT, or Prairie**** KS? That could have something to do with it.
    He's in Boulder, CO.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by curt.w View Post
    He's in Boulder, CO.
    Why not have your friend take into a local trek dealer and get the answers you need plus get an assessment on the condition of the bike and the fair market value?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    '13 Madone 6.2 was all Ultegra w/ Bontrager Speed Limit brakes, the rear under the bb/stays. It was blue/white. I just checked on the Trek archive part of the dealer site. Lemme know if you have any questions.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It very well could be a sham (craigslist after all) but not having the group and wheels the series 6 rolled out of the factory with wouldn't necessarily tell you anything about the frame.

It probably would imply the frame has a ton of miles on it though. There are a lot of serious high mileage riders in Boulder so a bike from someone who burnt through the original stuff or upgraded would be a highly possible scenario if the parts don't match original specs. Not to imply that 'is' the case. Again, it's craigslist. You pretty much need to see and touch it I think.

Neophyte
    As for the amount of time it's been on Craigslist, I wouldn't necessarily call that out as a red flag for scam. The market is saturated, and possibly the seller is not willing to negotiate price. I've had a brand new 2016 Scott Addict posted on Craigslist for almost four months and haven't gotten a single real offer for it yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks all.

I had checked the Trek archives, from 2010 to 2014, didn't find a 6 series in the color listed.

My friend checked the bike out this morning. It'd clearly been down, on both sides -- scrapes easily seen. Also the brake calipers weren't DA apparently, but Bontrager.

So I passed.