• 08-05-2019
    sheepherder
    Top tube on carbon bike a little off center
    Just noticed the top tube is off center a bit. Really bothering me now. Does it matter?

If you run your finger under the top tube there's a faint center line. It's centered at the front of the bike but slowly goes off centre by the time it reaches the seat tube. It's hard to notice but now that I know it's off I can even see it from the top.

I first noticed as there seems to be a small chip on the bottom of the top tube. Not sure if it's a stone chip but when I was feeling around there it felt like a indent. It's actually not an indent, just feels that way becauaw the center line is off
  • 08-05-2019
    cxwrench
    This thread is useless w/o pictures.
  • 08-05-2019
    sheepherder
    Hard to see in pics but should make it out from this one.
  • 08-05-2019
    rideit
    Yer gonna DIE
  • 08-06-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    A non straight line on the tube is hardly definite evidence of the tube being off center.
  • 08-06-2019
    duriel
    Take a deep breath, there is more trouble in your future!
  • 08-06-2019
    velodog
    You're letting your imagination run wild.
  • 08-06-2019
    cxwrench
    What on earth are you talking about? Go back outside and yell at some clouds...
  • 08-06-2019
    SPlKE
    When this happens to me, I put a small dot on side of my nose with a sharpie, where I can just barely see it when I sort of cross my one eye in the direction of the obtuse angle of the top tube as measured at the seat post.

In two shakes of a lamb's tail, I no longer see the dot, and the off-centeredness of the top tube literally disappears.

As Doug Henning would say with a Bat Dance flourish of his hands over his eyes: "It's magic!"
  • 08-08-2019
    Retro Grouch
    A road bike with an off center top tube increases stability when ridden in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation. Just be warned this phenomenon may be negated if your wheel sensor interacts with the planet's magnetic field.

I'm not sure why more frame manufacturers don't adopt this marketing strategy :thumbsup:
  • 08-08-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    A road bike with an off center top tube increases stability when ridden in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation. Just be warned this phenomenon may be negated if your wheel sensor interacts with the planet's magnetic field.

I'm not sure why more frame manufacturers don't adopt this marketing strategy :thumbsup:

Even I know the answer to that. It's because the majority of cyclists are in the northern hemisphere. So they don't need counterclockwise bike frames to negate the coriolis forces of the southern hemisphere. Duh!

Buy a clue already, Grouch!