Top tube dents, old steel frame
    ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Top tube dents, old steel frame

My solid chrome frame has a dent from handlebar swing in the top tube. I am sending the frame to Waterford to have the clear stripped off the chrome and then I will apply new decals and polishing, having it cold set for 130mm wheels. Since I am going to refurb the frame the only major flaw will be the dent. Anyone know if the dent repair means removing the tube and replacing it? I am afraid that removing the tube and replacing will disfigure the chrome and may not be worth the trouble. Anyone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    A dent of that size is no problem on a steel frame. It's not going to compromise the integrity of the frame, it's just cosmetic. What they would do is just fill it, smooth it and paint over it and you'd never see it. However, if you intend on keeping it chrome finish, they may not be able to do anything with it. Replacing tubes is akin to open heart surgery for a bike. Yes, it can be done, but it's far better to avoid it in the first place.

brewster

RoadBikeReview Member
    a knowledgeable metalworker person once told me of a method of clamping the frame it an exact circumference clamp in very small rotations around and around until the dent worked its way out. I have no idea how this works but he said he was able to do it on small dents with great success. The drawback was that it took a long time to do correctly, but it was a way to keep from needing to repaint.
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

No paint involved

That is why I said SOLID CHROME. The bike will be blindingly shiny when it is finished. Structurally the dent hurts nothing. But since the frame is being stripped and polished to a blinding new finish, the last little flaw is the dent. If it can't be fixed I may just put one of those top tube protecter things like they have on track bikes over the dent to hide it.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    If it can't be fixed I may just put one of those top tube protecter things like they have on track bikes over the dent to hide it.

That's what I did with my Panasonic Keirin frame. I put a top tube protector over the dent...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Frog Whisperer
    and had they had the protector in the first place, there would be no dent

(understanding that you guys probably didn't make the dents)