Trek Domane 4.3 vs Domane 4.0 Disk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014

Hello,

I'm in the market for my first road bike. I've always had mountain bikes and as of late find myself outfitting my Trek mountain bike with slick tires and really am riding on the road mostly. The roads can go from good to bad, pretty quickly. I've settled on looking at the Domane.

Now, I definitely love disk brakes, having used them for a while now on my mountain bike - but I'm not sure if maybe on a road bike it's as much of an impact?

My question would be, in your opinion, would you go for the 4.0 Disk, which has Soro gear and a 9 speed or the 4.3 which has Shimano 105's and a 10 speed, but no disk brakes. They're both around $2k, which is my budget.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    me, I would go with the 105 and no disk brake..which is exactly what i did when I bought my domane 5.2 (ultegra)... I ride all road and not much of a wet weather/mud rider...so I see no real need for disk brakes, which I do have on my mtb...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    me, I would go with the 105 and no disk brake..which is exactly what i did when I bought my domane 5.2 (ultegra)... I ride all road and not much of a wet weather/mud rider...so I see no real need for disk brakes, which I do have on my mtb...
    This is exactly what i did this weekend. In fact, I rode the disks and they were nothing like what's on my MTB, they actually were bad. The rim breaks were surprisingly a lot better. I rode two of the 4.0 Disk in different sizes, both were no good and the sora shifters were pretty.. blah.. The 4.3 though, loving it!

I love to climb!
    Sounds like you already made your choice, a good one I might add. Unless you plan to ride in wet weather or use carbon rims, the 105 components will be much more beneficial than disc brakes.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I have exactly the same conundrum. I really wanted/expected 105 components at this price, but I love the idea of the disc brakes for a bike that I would use as a commuter (as well as for fun weekend rides). One of the big pluses of the 4.0 disc version is bigger tire clearance. I have heard that it's really hard to get fenders on the 4.3 with 700 x 25 tires, even though Trek claim you can do it. With the 4.0 disc, it looks like you can easily use 700 x 28 tires with fenders. That makes this bike very flexible, which is appealing to me.

If you search in the forums, you will find lots of discussions about whether Sora components are good enough. It sounds like old Sora wasn't great, but new Sora is decent. The snob in me still wants the 105 though (or at least Tiagra).

I'm honestly thinking of waiting to see if Trek release a 4.3 disc in the not too distant future. I know it will cost a little more, but that's what I really want.
    Last edited by benmills; 05-13-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo

Neb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I would consider the Domane 4.0 Disc essentially a frameset purchase. They went for budget parts everywhere in order to reach the pricepoint, so it performs accordingly. I'd imagine they'll come out with a Domane 5 disc with 105 and perhaps hydro brakes too, that'd be the sweet spot with the upcoming 11speed 105 and mechanical hydro brakes from shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    The funny thing is that they put the nicest possible non-hydro brakes they could on the 4.0 disc. The TRP HY/RD are meant to be better than Avid BB7s and TRP Spyres. But they really went cheap on the drivetrain, which is much harder to replace.

I also find the decision to put an alloy seat post in the IsoZone frame pretty strange, but at least that is really easy to swap out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Does anybody know the weight of the 4.0 disc? I'd love to know if the heavier disc brakes combined with the Sora groupset have this bike inching towards 20 pounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Is save some bucks and wait for the disc in the 105 level or get it as is and start combing the classifieds/ craigslist/eBay for a 105 group, when I bought my colossal I sold a 105 group for 300 shipped, deals can be had.