Trek Domane SLR disc brittle seat stays
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Trek Domane SLR disc brittle seat stays

I have a 2017 Trek Domane SLR disc bike that had the right seat stay damaged when I was run into a high curb by a car. The seat stay was scraped up and there was some cracks showing. I took the bike to my local Trek dealer and they told me the damage was fairly minor and could be repaired easily by one of their vendors. I took their advice and paid over $900.00 for the bike to be disassembled, reassembled, repaired and repainted. Bike looked great, but it was late November and I was not able to ride the bike much during the winter. It is now spring and I started riding the bike and with only 385 miles on the new repair, the seat stay on the left side(non repaired side) is now cracking. Contacted Trek and my bike shop and neither of them will take responsibility for the failed frame. They will give me 20% off of a new frame, but I will have to pay for labor. The cost is very expensive. I am a little gun shy to get another carbon frame with this design. I am wondering if the Domane carbon frame is prone to seat stay failure. I am now thinking about repairing the seat stay myself. Have anyone of you done any home carbon fiber repair with success? It seems worth a $100 bucks to give it a try and see if it works. If it does not, I am thinking about buying a titanium or steel frame and swapping all of my components to it. Could use some advise or insight on this issue.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    No, the Domane is not normally prone to seat stay failure. How do you know it's cracking? Post photos to start.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I know at least 2 racers here that have repaired minor cracks on their frames. Basically they just layup a few carbon fiber ply over the crack and then that's that. If frame is black, they paint the repair spot black, otherwise put a big sticker on it

AFAIK, those two are still riding their frames. YMMV!

I know another guy who cracked his Pinarello F8 in 3 different spots in a crack, and he brought it to a local carbon repair guy (recommended by Pinarello) and the repair guy charged him $600 to repair and repaint (repair spots were painted solid white). Dissemabling and reassembling the components was done by the user. $900 sounds like a lot for your previous repair job!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    IMG_1258.jpg

Here is a picture of the crack. It does not go completely around. Sorry about the orientation of the photo. Not sure how to rotate it on this site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks, I think I am going to repair it myself. It is nice to hear that others have made similar repairs.

I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately and I can tell that's obviously from impact. No wonder they won't warranty it, it's been hit by something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately and I can tell that's obviously from impact. No wonder they won't warranty it, it's been hit by something.
    I might agree with you if I had not been the one riding the bike. That is what ticks me off so much about this breakage. I will not buy another Domane SLR frame again. There was no damage to the area before my 50 mile ride. When I was putting the bike away I found the crack. My first thought was it was the repaired seat stay, but then I realized it was the other side. Anyway, it is what it is and I plan on repairing it myself. I have some experience with fiberglass repairs. I still feel this is a design defect with Trek trying to give a softer ride on this frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldriverdude View Post
    I might agree with you if I had not been the one riding the bike. That is what ticks me off so much about this breakage. I will not buy another Domane SLR frame again. There was no damage to the area before my 50 mile ride. When I was putting the bike away I found the crack. My first thought was it was the repaired seat stay, but then I realized it was the other side. Anyway, it is what it is and I plan on repairing it myself. I have some experience with fiberglass repairs. I still feel this is a design defect with Trek trying to give a softer ride on this frame.
    Nope. That is very obviously damage from the outside. I'm not even a warranty guy and I've seen it dozens and dozens of times.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Nope. That is very obviously damage from the outside. I'm not even a warranty guy and I've seen it dozens and dozens of times.
    Yeah, that looks like crash/fall damage
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Yeah, that looks like crash/fall damage
    Agree. If this is where the frame was damaged before the $900 "fix" then the fix didn't work. If this is in a different location then perhaps it was hidden damage from the original crash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I had a very similar issue with my old BMC Gran Fondo. One of the seat stays had a fairly obvious crack as a result of having a garage door closed on it.

I sent it Calfee, who did an ultrasound scan and found that there was also damage to the other seat stay.

It's likely a compression break, and it's almost impossible to have that sort of structural damage on one seat stay and the other be unaffected.

If anything, you should probably be annoyed that whoever did the original repair didn't find this and fix both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I had a very similar issue with my old BMC Gran Fondo. One of the seat stays had a fairly obvious crack as a result of having a garage door closed on it.

I sent it Calfee, who did an ultrasound scan and found that there was also damage to the other seat stay.

It's likely a compression break, and it's almost impossible to have that sort of structural damage on one seat stay and the other be unaffected.

If anything, you should probably be annoyed that whoever did the original repair didn't find this and fix both at the same time.
    It's entirely possible if the bike falls on something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

I think you are on to something. That is what is frustrating about the situation. There may have been hidden damage to the other side that the shop did not see. Your comments are helpful unlike the know it all's who know insist that I must have taken a second crash on the bike. I'm actually looking forward to repairing the bike myself. At least I won't be at the mercy of some low wage stoner in Santa Cruz repairing my frame.

I think you are on to something. That is what is frustrating about the situation. There may have been hidden damage to the other side that the shop did not see. Your comments are helpful unlike the know it all's who know insist that I must have taken a second crash on the bike. I'm actually looking forward to repairing the bike myself. At least I won't be at the mercy of some low wage stoner in Santa Cruz repairing my frame.
    At this point in your experience I am basically the 'know it all'. I've got more experience w/ this than pretty much anyone on this forum. After 25 years you learn some things...one of them being what different types of failure modes look like. I've seen more damaged frames of all materials than I can remember. I've learned a LOT from some very knowledgeable industry types that deal w/ this daily. I'm not the only one that thinks (knows) that this damaged came from an outside impact and not a 'brittle' seat stay. That kind of thinking shows your lack of knowledge concerning composite in general and carbon frame construction in particular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    At this point in your experience I am basically the 'know it all'. I've got more experience w/ this than pretty much anyone on this forum. After 25 years you learn some things...one of them being what different types of failure modes look like. I've seen more damaged frames of all materials than I can remember. I've learned a LOT from some very knowledgeable industry types that deal w/ this daily. I'm not the only one that thinks (knows) that this damaged came from an outside impact and not a 'brittle' seat stay. That kind of thinking shows your lack of knowledge concerning composite in general and carbon frame construction in particular.
    I have had the displeasure of managing and working with pompous narcissistic pricks like you. I am willing to bet that you are not that good at your job. Have you been fired from a lot of jobs? I bet you have. It is safe to say that you most likely hate what you do and you have hostility towards people you disagree with. No joy in what you do or in your life. You are not very likable and you cannot admit that you don't know something. I feel sorry for the people who have to work with you and have to tolerate your toxic personality. I am sure you don't have friends and family members cringe every time they have to have contact with you. I am not a carbon expert, but I am a people expert. You have major issues. Why not share. What is it? Drugs, alcohol, depression or your attempt to be a cyber dick is the only thing that brings you pleasure? I know what you really are. You're a ***** and most likely broke. You are envious of the kind of bike I own. That's what it really is isn't it. Little jealous worm. Try not to cry you little pathetic psycho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have had the displeasure of managing and working with pompous narcissistic pricks like you. I am willing to bet that you are not that good at your job. Have you been fired from a lot of jobs? I bet you have. It is safe to say that you most likely hate what you do and you have hostility towards people you disagree with. No joy in what you do or in your life. You are not very likable and you cannot admit that you don't know something. I feel sorry for the people who have to work with you and have to tolerate your toxic personality. I am sure you don't have friends and family members cringe every time they have to have contact with you. I am not a carbon expert, but I am a people expert. You have major issues. Why not share. What is it? Drugs, alcohol, depression or your attempt to be a cyber dick is the only thing that brings you pleasure? I know what you really are. You're a ***** and most likely broke. You are envious of the kind of bike I own. That's what it really is isn't it. Little jealous worm. Try not to cry you little pathetic psycho.
    Dude, take a pill.
    Too old to ride plastic

Funny, I only see one poster in this thread agreeing w/ you. I'm not going to bother replying to your attack on me but you might want to take a good look at yourself in the mirror one of these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Dude, take a pill.
    I almost died laughing while writing that over the top manifest. That guy is a jerk and he had it coming. I'm sure I was spot on with a lot of the comments. I have a cracked frame, he has a broken life.