Trek Madone 5.2 vs Pinarello FP3 vs Cannondale Synapse Hi Mod?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Trek Madone 5.2 vs Pinarello FP3 vs Cannondale Synapse Hi Mod?

I am a serious woman recreational rider and sometime racer looking for a new bike and facing a dilemna. I have ridden many, but have it narrowed down to a Trek Madone (WSD), a Pinarello FP3 or a Cannondale Synapse Hi Mod (Feminine) . I loved the Pinarello for its quick feel, that bike climbs like a dream and felt stable downhill at speed and cornering as well. My main reservation is the amount of road feel you get with it; not a problem on an average ride, but what about for the long haul? I ride several centuries each season, and will race a double this year. I wasn't able to take the Trek Madone for much of a ride, but my initial impression was that it seems to be a nice mix of "fun" and comfort, feels great, and climbs well, though not quite as "zippy" feeling as the Pinarello (honestly, that Pinarello felt like it could almost go uphill on its own!). The Trek I tried, a 5.2, fit me very nicely, but has an Ultegra triple I would want to change out to a DA compact...the Pinarello is Ultegra as well, but at least it had a compact vs. a triple. Then there is the Cannnondale Synapse Hi Mod, which comes already equipped with full Dura Ace, nice. Problem is, I have not been able to find one to test ride. I did try a lower end model, the Synapse Carbon 5, and I liked the ride feel, but I thought it was sluggish on the climbs compared to the other bikes, not surprising, given the difference in wheels and higher end components. The Hi-Mod weighs a full 3 lbs less than the one I rode and much nicer wheels etc...but would that make it as sweet as the Trek or the Pinarello? I can get a great deal on the Hi-Mod, but, should I even take this kind of chance on a bike I can't even ride before buying? I want a bike that has a fast, fun feel and climbs well - I don't mind - really, I LIKE a bit of road feel, but, as I said, I do long rides too and don't want to feel trashed halfway through. Oh yes, I should also mention that I am drooling over the Madone 6 series bikes, but can't find any to try, and given that the geometry is pretty different from the 5 series, not sure I would want to take that chance...it's an awful lot of $$$ not to be absolutely sure it will be a good fit. Anyone have any input, advice, comments? Anyone familiar with the Synapse Hi Mod? And/or the others?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I have the Pinarello and love it. Ive not found it to be harsh on long rides.
    I did come from a alloy Cannondale so that was a harder ride.
    Seams that all 3 bikes your looking at will be amazing bikes and differences will be subtle.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    I can't speak for the women specifoc bikes, but my test rides on the FP3 left me with the complete opposite opinion. I felt it was smooth and comfortable and solid, but not snappy or nimble. And at almost 20 lbs. with Dura Ace 7800, way too heavy for the price. Pez Cycling did a good review on it.

A buddy of mine had a 5.2 and he really liked it. He's a big guy at 6'2" and 235, but his seat post cracked, Trek warrantied it with a 6.9, and he said the 6.9 is so much stiffer, especially in the head-set and fork, but still comfortable. I don't know if he would have paid retail for it, but for free, it was worth it.

I haven't ridden Cannondale, but alot of people love them for being stiff and very race-able.

Too bad you couldn't get your hands on a Look 585 Elle.
    http://www.bikebling.com/Look-585-El...elle-frame.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 5'4' and ride a Madone 5.2 with a 50cm frame. It is a great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    i would get the trek in h2 geometry, you probly road the h3. much less awsome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Hi~ Is Madone 5.2 with 50cm frame a little bigger for you guy 5'4?
    People said that riding road bike, the frame would rather smaller.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I built up a Madone 5.2 H2 geometry, great feeling frame which you would have no problem being comfortable on doing a century. That being said I just finished building a Scott CR1, much more lively frame to ride on, sweet out of the saddle climbing, this frame screams for it to be pushed.

If you have a chance to test ride a Scott I'd highly recommend it, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the bikes you've mentioned.