Uncomfortable due to cheeper carbon? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    [REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You wouldn't put 100psi in your mtb tires would you?
    That might be fun to try at least once.......with ear protection.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That might be fun to try at least once.......with ear protection.
    Fat Boy criterium back in the day IIRC had those kinds of pressure, albeit on narrower hooked bead rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I doubt you'd say that to me in person.
    In person I avoid people with your condition.

Meanwhile my actual riding experience with my bike remains fun and the same as I reported in my last post. Other riders experience may vary depending on the exact wheel design, preference in air pressure, road surfaces, and bike setup to name just a few relevant factors.

https://www.ultimevelo.com/en/carbon...disadvantages/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Some frames are more comfortable than other in my experience of riding several with tires and wheels being exactly the same.
    But "cheap carbon" vs "expensive carbon" is just about having less favorable strength and stiffness to weight ratios. It's what they do with the carbon, or anything, that matters not really what that material is, as far as comfort goes.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post

Meanwhile my actual riding experience with my bike remains fun and the same as I reported in my last post. Other riders experience may vary depending on the exact wheel design, preference in air pressure, road surfaces, and bike setup to name just a few relevant factors.

Note this was written by a vendor which sells carbon wheels.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.

I'm not saying that because I'm especially tough or looking to get into some kind of altercation, I'm just saying that people really tend to spout off on the interwebs because it's generally pretty anonymous. I would say anything I've said here in person, none of it has been said w/ the intent of inciting violence...I'm just direct and to the point.

The article in the link you provided in wrong on many accounts, most notably the "comfort" of different rim constructions. Anyone familiar w/ the physics involved w/ bicycle wheels in general and composite rims in particular will tell you he's incorrect.

And what condition do you think I'm dealing with again?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    CXLombardism since we're the same person?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'm not saying that because I'm especially tough or looking to get into some kind of altercation, I'm just saying that people really tend to spout off on the interwebs because it's generally pretty anonymous. I would say anything I've said here in person, none of it has been said w/ the intent of inciting violence...I'm just direct and to the point.

The article in the link you provided in wrong on many accounts, most notably the "comfort" of different rim constructions. Anyone familiar w/ the physics involved w/ bicycle wheels in general and composite rims in particular will tell you he's incorrect.

..I have to laugh...an amateur arguing about wheel design with a veteran professional wrench.

...I mean it isn't like you've ever built wheels before.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    ..I have to laugh...an amateur arguing about wheel design with a veteran professional wrench.

Feelz...you can argue w/ them. He (IIRC) thinks I'm probably terrible at what I do and no one likes me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

How often is this the case though? Poster comes here looking for advice and shoots down the most knowegeable people because he doesn't agree with the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    How often is this the case though? Poster comes here looking for advice and shoots down the most knowegeable people because he doesn't agree with the facts.
    It is kinda funny. They seem to think it's the suggestions of physics, not the laws of physics. They call them laws for a reason.

[REDACTED]
    It is kinda funny. They seem to think it's the suggestions of physics, not the laws of physics. They call them laws for a reason.
    It seems to be part of human nature. Someone comes here asking a question when it's a particular confirmation of their own theories they are really looking for.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Not that often, with the low-traffic this board now sees.

Over on BikeForums...there have been several funny incidents like this this year, with people like Psimet walking in and becoming school teacher.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member

I hope your posts in this thread don't reflect your overall reading comprehension, as you are clearly struggling in this thread.

I made a simple non-quote observation that I had changed my wheels from aluminum to carbon and after the change I experienced an improvement in ride quality that included a smoother ride.

Then cxwrench posts telling me that I am wrong in my experience. I'm not feeling what I state I'm feeling because it is impossible for me to feel what I state. That's a dumb ass statement. No one but me knows what I'm feeling on my bike when I ride it and where and how I ride it.

No where did I make any claims other than stated above about comparing carbon wheels to alloy or aluminum wheels. No where did I argue about any poster's opinion on the subject of carbon v aluminum wheels. I did add a link from a website that sells bikes and bike equipment including both carbon and and alloy wheels that in part made a statement that is compatible supportive with my own individual personal experience. I also added in another post that different riders experience may vary.

No where I have I claimed anything CX says is wrong other than trying to tell me my experience and perception when riding my bike.

Another perspective that is consistent with my single rider independent opinion and perspective of my bike rides.

https://www.icebike.org/carbon-road-bike-wheels/

I could post other links too, but there is no need because regardless of whether the site or source supports or opposes or contradicts my individual experience that doesn't change my actual real world experience.

[REDACTED]
    I hope your posts in this thread don't reflect your overall reading comprehension, as you are clearly struggling in this thread.

I made a simple non-quote observation that I had changed my wheels from aluminum to carbon and after the change I experienced an improvement in ride quality that included a smoother ride.

Then cxwrench posts telling me that I am wrong in my experience. I'm not feeling what I state I'm feeling because it is impossible for me to feel what I state. That's a dumb ass statement. No one but me knows what I'm feeling on my bike when I ride it and where and how I ride it.

No where did I make any claims other than stated above about comparing carbon wheels to alloy or aluminum wheels. No where did I argue about any poster's opinion on the subject of carbon v aluminum wheels. I did add a link from a website that sells bikes and bike equipment including both carbon and and alloy wheels that in part made a statement that is compatible supportive with my own individual personal experience. I also added in another post that different riders experience may vary.

No where I have I claimed anything CX says is wrong other than trying to tell me my experience and perception when riding my bike.

Another perspective that is consistent with my single rider independent opinion and perspective of my bike rides.

https://www.icebike.org/carbon-road-bike-wheels/

I could post other links too, but there is no need because regardless of whether the site or source supports or opposes or contradicts my individual experience that doesn't change my actual real world experience.
    Nobody is denying what you felt. But it is not because the wheels are carbon. There are other factors that can make wheels feel smoother or harsher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    YIKES! Do you like riding rodeo horses?? Use the 2nd box in the link below to find optimal pressures:

Bicycle tire pressure calculator
    Thanks for posting this! I’ve been running way too much pressure in my CX bike’s tires. I’m primarily a mountain biker (at low pressure) and just assumed I needed to max out the tires for the road and gravel riding that I do on the bike.

Nobody is denying what you felt. But it is not because the wheels are carbon. There are other factors that can make wheels feel smoother or harsher.
    ^This^. I don't have any need at all to ride his bike to know that the carbon wheels are not providing a smoother ride compared to the aluminum wheels. To feel that difference he'd have to change tires/inflation pressure/roads. Which obviously leads one to infer that he is saying that he experienced an improvement in ride quality due to the carbon rims.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Apparently you're the one with reading comprehension struggles. And perhaps an anger issue.

You claimed:
    I recently upgraded my decent quality metal alloy wheels on my road bike to carbon wheels. I inflate by tires the same as always. The carbon wheels have made a noticeable difference in reducing the road vibration or shock transmitted back to me.
    CX replied:
    No, they actually haven't. The carbon rims are MUCH stiffer than the alloy rims and NO rim has enough flexibility to absorb road shock. The tire would have to bottom against the rim for that to happen. What you feel is different from what is actually happening. Sometimes this can be explained by the lightness in your wallet after buying carbon wheels.
    He did not say you're not feeling what you're feeling. Or it's impossible to feel what you feel.
    It's not a "dumb ass" statement. Unless of course you have an aversion to facts, reality, physics.

Then of course, you got all butthurt and resorted to a bunch of childish snippy personal attacks. It says a lot.

You've ridden my bike with both of the wheels mentioned in my post? No, of course not.

That's OK your posting "style" has proceeded you in many prior posts.

Good luck with your therapist and medication. I hope that they specialize in treating people that comment based upon theory at best and imagination at worse as opposed to an actual experience.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    ^This^. I don't have any need at all to ride his bike to know that the carbon wheels are not providing a smoother ride compared to the aluminum wheels. To feel that difference he'd have to change tires/inflation pressure/roads. Which obviously leads one to infer that he is saying that he experienced an improvement in ride quality due to the carbon rims.
    He could also conceivably "feel" a difference if the spoke counts or spoke gauge wasn't identical - all other things being equal. However, tires will make the biggest impact on ride quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Apparently you're the one with reading comprehension struggles. And perhaps an anger issue.
    You are projecting.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You are projecting.
    Just an observation of what YOU have posted.
    Maybe you're not angry... but just post like you are.

That's OK your posting "style" has proceeded you in many prior posts.

Good luck with your therapist and medication. I hope that they specialize in treating people that comment based upon theory at best and imagination at worse as opposed to an actual experience.

That's a dumb ass statement.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

You are projecting.
    You should join a psychology forum. You're all about 'deny deny deny'. Take a minute, go back and read all the posts and see what we all wrote. That might help clear things up...or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should join a psychology forum. You're all about 'deny deny deny'. Take a minute, go back and read all the posts and see what we all wrote. That might help clear things up...or not.
    Which do you know or understand better, bicycle wheels or psychology?

I understood and remember the substance of all the posts responding to my first post in this thread. With a couple of exceptions they misrepresent what I said and they deny any links of third parties that weigh in on the subject. Some have obvious reading comprehension issues and some project big-time.

You will note that no where have I questioned your overall knowledge or claimed expertise, (or that claimed by others too in their defense of you.) I have posted several links to bike sites that disagree with you and are supportive or corroborative of my personal one bike riding experience with my new wheels compared to the old. But...as I said it doesn't matter what they say be it supportive or contradictory that doesn't change my individual experience, an experience that I make clear I am claiming only from my experience and I am not questioning anyone else's riding experience in the context of the subject.

By the way are the "we" you reference all experts never wrong about wheels in their opinions?

Which do you know or understand better, bicycle wheels or psychology?

I understood and remember the substance of all the posts responding to my first post in this thread. With a couple of exceptions they misrepresent what I said and they deny any links of third parties that weigh in on the subject. Some have obvious reading comprehension issues and some project big-time.

You will note that no where have I questioned your overall knowledge or claimed expertise, (or that claimed by others too in their defense of you.) I have posted several links to bike sites that disagree with you and are supportive or corroborative of my personal one bike riding experience with my new wheels compared to the old. But...as I said it doesn't matter what they say be it supportive or contradictory that doesn't change my individual experience, an experience that I make clear I am claiming only from my experience and I am not questioning anyone else's riding experience in the context of the subject.

By the way are the "we" you reference all experts never wrong about wheels in their opinions?
    What brand & model are your new wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What brand & model are your new wheels?
    Thanks for the good faith relevant question. Given what has transpired so far in this thread I am just going to pass.

May I suggest that had you asked such a relevant good well question as your first post things would have ended up a lot more positive all around. That said, thanks again for inquiring, but it is time to move on. Have a good week and continued success in your profession.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast