Upgrade suggestions!
    christocyclist
    Mar 2009

Upgrade suggestions!

Hi All-

First I want to thank everybody who responded to my post about determining the age of my "new to me" TIME VXR. Came from a racer who has numerous bikes and has one year of about 600 miles on it. It is mint and rides beautifully.

I built this ecnomically by taking everything off of my 2000 Pinarello Opera (she will stay in the family!) and bringing all but the bars and bottom bracket over. It has a 2000 Campy Chorus 10 speed groupset with Nucleon (predecessor to Neutron) wheels. I'm riding Conti Attack/Force Grand Prix tires

I am posting to get people's advice on where I can get the most bang for my buck in weight savings by doing things piecemeal as my budget allows.

Some assumptions/thoughts:
    • I have decided to stick with the Campy 10 speed and not move to the 11. My ultimate long term goal is to slowly swap out the old chorus front and rear der., shifters, brakes and crankset as opportunities/$/deals arise
    • The wheels are bullet-proof and light- about 1520g for the set I think. I will keep those for now. They "aint broke".
    • I like Campy

My thinking was to do something initially with the crankset/cassette for reducing rotating weight. I have no reference point of what that stuff weighs but I have a fairly big cluster in the rear right now. I thought that I would put a 2007/08 Campy Chorus Carbon Compact Crankset (I love the 4C's)...Ultra-Torque 10speed with a 34/50 and a smaller, lighter cassette. My thinking is that this is all spinning weight and that the combination of carbon, Ultra-Torque and a smaller cassette will be the biggest initial bang for my buck.

I'm thinking with the mindset of "if I were to do only one major change this year".

Any thoughts or ideas? Are any of my assumptions wrong or way off? Other than changing my groupset from Campy(!), I am open....

Thanks in advance!

The Bike Genie
    Quote Originally Posted by christocyclist
    Hi All-

First I want to thank everybody who responded to my post about determining the age of my "new to me" TIME VXR. Came from a racer who has numerous bikes and has one year of about 600 miles on it. It is mint and rides beautifully.

I built this ecnomically by taking everything off of my 2000 Pinarello Opera (she will stay in the family!) and bringing all but the bars and bottom bracket over. It has a 2000 Campy Chorus 10 speed groupset with Nucleon (predecessor to Neutron) wheels. I'm riding Conti Attack/Force Grand Prix tires

I am posting to get people's advice on where I can get the most bang for my buck in weight savings by doing things piecemeal as my budget allows.

Some assumptions/thoughts:
    • I have decided to stick with the Campy 10 speed and not move to the 11. My ultimate long term goal is to slowly swap out the old chorus front and rear der., shifters, brakes and crankset as opportunities/$/deals arise
    • The wheels are bullet-proof and light- about 1520g for the set I think. I will keep those for now. They "aint broke".
    • I like Campy

My thinking was to do something initially with the crankset/cassette for reducing rotating weight. I have no reference point of what that stuff weighs but I have a fairly big cluster in the rear right now. I thought that I would put a 2007/08 Campy Chorus Carbon Compact Crankset (I love the 4C's)...Ultra-Torque 10speed with a 34/50 and a smaller, lighter cassette. My thinking is that this is all spinning weight and that the combination of carbon, Ultra-Torque and a smaller cassette will be the biggest initial bang for my buck.

I'm thinking with the mindset of "if I were to do only one major change this year".

Any thoughts or ideas? Are any of my assumptions wrong or way off? Other than changing my groupset from Campy(!), I am open....

Thanks in advance!
    I would upgrade to the 07-08 chrous UT Crankset, shifetrs, and Rear-derailleur. The rest of your group should work fine with it and it's a great way to take advantage of the new technology without breaking the bank. Another suggestion is go with some Zero Gravity brakes which should shave 225g off your bike if you're using 2000 chorus brakes.

I let my LBS talk me into a SRAM group and haven't looked back given the 1680g weight of my group with the cannondale Si Crankset and Zero gravity brakes! I wish i was half as good as the bike i ride ;)

Jul 2008
    I would reconsider the shifter / derailleur purchase unless you absolutely need all matching carbon bits. Functionally the shifters and derailleurs are the same from 2000 all the way up to the change to the new 11 group. There would be no real "advantage"....and well maintained Chorus lasts a long time. The money could be used on other value added upgrades.

I'm still using my 2000 9 speed (old style, same year) and it works flawlessly. I wrestled with the upgrade to 10 speed as well when I did the "G spring" rebuild, but decided to wait. Now I'm holding out for new 11 or the new Alloy Centaur...(which has really caught my eye).

Something to think about if your doing smart and frugal upgrades.

The rest of the plan sounds good.

christocyclist
    Mar 2009

Great advice!

Good point on not changing the shifters or rear der....the weight saving benefit is not so great.

On the other hand if I go with the Chorus CT UT 35/54, smaller cassette and some "smart' brakes (e.g. Mavic or Record Skeleton or even SRAM Red) could shave about 300g. Beyond that, I just need to train and ride!

Thanks again all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Rotational fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by christocyclist
    My thinking was to do something initially with the crankset/cassette for reducing rotating weight.

I thought that I would put a 2007/08 Campy Chorus Carbon Compact Crankset (I love the 4C's)...Ultra-Torque 10speed with a 34/50 and a smaller, lighter cassette. My thinking is that this is all spinning weight and that the combination of carbon, Ultra-Torque and a smaller cassette will be the biggest initial bang for my buck.

Are any of my assumptions wrong or way off?
    Yes, your whole "rotating weight" assumption is flawed. Cranks are rotating much slower than wheels (rims/tires) and are at a much shorter radius. Cassettes are even more so. The weight in a crank has approximately 1/20 the effect of rotational kinetic energy than a rim/tire, and the cassette is more like 1/50 the effect. Knowing that the only time rotational kinetic energy is an issue at all is when you are accelerating, the physics provides zero support for your assumptions.

What you will get for the smaller cassette is faster drive train wear and higher drive train friction, all else equal. You'd be far better off to get some really nice bike shorts or spend the money on coaching. There is virtually no performance improvement on offer from chaning the cranks and cassette.

christocyclist
    Mar 2009
    Thanks Kerry Irons-

I do appreciate your explanation from a physics perspective. I threw my ideas out there based on what a lot of people "out there" are propgating as opinion or even fact....ergo, I thought that I would get some perspective. BTW, when I spoke f a smaller cassette, I meant more in the realm of a 12/25 inasmuch as I now have a 13/26 or something like that.

Very eye opening and informative. FYI I have many very nice pairs of shorts ;)

I approach all of this with a healthy eye on the value of actually riding and training properly- the bike is but one aspect of the picture. That said, while many of my components are pushing 10 years, there have been many improvements in technology in that time period. A little tweaking here and there might offer a more enjoyable riding experience. As an example, when I switched from Open Pros to Nucleons, I could feel the difference...It sounds as if the wheels are my biggest area of potential improvement and I do believe that I have already covered that...

Now I just need to ride my beautiful new steed. Hopefully this weekend's weather will give me that chance.

Thanks again...