Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade... but when to consider the frame and fork?
    RoadBikeReview Member

In 2009, I bought a Scott Addict SL (frame set) and, over the past few years, lots of parts have been swapped, rebuilt, upgraded - as you'd expect.

It's now a mix of Dura-Ace and Ultegra - mostly 6600 Ultegra. The bike is in PERFECT running order. Shifts like butter, not a creak or squeak...

As the 6800 groupsets are now showing up on sale for around $500 (without a crank - I have an SRM)... it's tempting to upgrade - to get the 11-speed, the (supposedly) better brakes... and to get rid of those exposed loopy shifter cables.

But then I think about that frame and fork... that 5-year-old, 20,000 mile frame and fork, and wonder: Do I just ignore the 6800 stuff, get another couple years out out of the bike as is. Or, upgrade and commit to that frame and fork for several more years?

have droids, will party
    You clearly need this:

234625_65373_tif_zoom_3.jpg

The new Addict SL. Then put on some new components!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Unlikely you will wait for a couple of years. You are lusting now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in the same boat. My Ridley is kind of starting to show its age. I wand to upgrade to campy 11sp. I just can't decide but the new parts on this bike of get a new Fenix frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I was thinking the same sort of thoughts recently about my 2008 Giant TCR Advanced with 6700. Then I was at the Giant store and looked at the new TCR Advanced with 6800 and you know what, I decided my old TCR is so close to the new one in almost every way that I will ride it as is for at least 2 more years or until it breaks and I will stay with 6700 until then as well! Besides, 6600 is a really nice group and is it worth the trouble just for 1 extra gear and hidden cables?

Side note, I was on an organized ride recently and was kinda looking around and I was really shocked at the number of bikes with 8 and 9 speed 15 year+ old groups on them. Got passed by more than a few of them too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah... I wonder if I can make it another few years. I also wonder how that Addict SL (a $3,500 frame set in 2009) stacks up against a new frame - I wonder how much $$$ I'd have to spend to actually upgrade.

davcruz, I know what you mean - the 11-speed doesn't make us mortals any faster. Most of us would be just as fast on 9, 8 speed. I often ride my 1995 Klein single speed on 50+ mile group rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    6600 is a really nice group and is it worth the trouble just for 1 extra gear and hidden cables?
    The improvement in shifting is worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    ...6600 is a really nice group and is it worth the trouble just for 1 extra gear and hidden cables?
    I can't argue with that - the shifting is like the paddle shift in a $100,000 car - it's instant, precise, low-effort... But man... those cables. I know... pretty lame.

In my defense, I ride 3 or 4 days/week in the dark. And I'm constantly fighting to keep the cables out of the beam. Wow... talk about 1st world problems huh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I have 6500 on my 5200 and 6800 on my C-59 after briefly using 6700 and not liking it much. If 6600 performs like 6500 with an extra gear and it's still operating well, I don't think its worth it. While the 6800 is better overall, it's not flawed like the 6700 is. The extra gears are not going to make you ride faster, and the hoods on the 6600 are fairly comfortable. Personally I'd ride the hell out of it until there's an issue and deal with it then. And by then you might be getting a whole new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Flawed like 6700...here we go again. I personally do not find anything wrong with 6700, cables routed correctly and derailleurs setup correct and the group shifts and stops perfectly. Maybe 6800 is some kind of improvement over 6700, but 6700 works fine, never misses a shift and mine is crisp. I have run a lot of groups over the last 25 years starting with old downtube shifted 6 speed and from Shimano, SRAM, Suntour and Campy and I can't leave MicroSHIFT off either, cause I have a set of their carbon 10 speed shifters and IMO 6700 works as well as any of them. Prior to 6700 I had a bike with 7700 and 6700 works just as well.

Anyway, OldZaskar, if you want 6800 put it on your 2009 Scott, it will be great. I cannot seem to bring myself to justify it though, not yet anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    My Ridley is kind of starting to show its age.
    Just curious, but in what ways? My Litespeed has well over 150,000 miles on it and is showing no signs of aging.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    You clearly need this:

The new Addict SL. Then put on some new components!
    +1 on this

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    If it still shifts like butter then what are you going to accomplish (I'm in the same boat as you, I want 6800 but why)? I actually prefer the exposed shift cables because I run the DA cable shift indicator on my bikes. Are your wheels 11 speed compatible, or, will you need those also? I'd suggest going into your LBS and trying a bike with 6800 to see what you are getting before you spend the money. This is still on my to-do list.

have droids, will party
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Yeah... I wonder if I can make it another few years. I also wonder how that Addict SL (a $3,500 frame set in 2009) stacks up against a new frame - I wonder how much $$$ I'd have to spend to actually upgrade.

davcruz, I know what you mean - the 11-speed doesn't make us mortals any faster. Most of us would be just as fast on 9, 8 speed. I often ride my 1995 Klein single speed on 50+ mile group rides.
    I think the new SL is around $3500, though I think I'd go with the team version. It's only a few grams heavier (something like 1050g for frame and fork vs 990g), but supposed to be a bit stiffer and a little more robust.

As far as the 11speed thing goes, it's nice to have the range. Plus Dura Ace 9000 is super smooth.

Matnlely Dregaend
    If it's a size 54, you absolutely need a new frame, and you also absolutely need to mail me your old frame to take off your hands... I will ummm.... dispose of it for you!

I actually prefer bikes with threaded BB and 1 1/8 headsets, all more standardized stuff that works forever.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Just curious, but in what ways? My Litespeed has well over 150,000 miles on it and is showing no signs of aging.
    For me, it's not a wear and tear thing. My frameset looks like new. I just wonder how it stacks up against 2014 "technology", i.e. is my $3,500 frame on par with a new $2,000 frameset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Your old $3500 frame is on par with a new $3500 frame. The only new technology you're missing out on is the spin from the marketing department.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatochip View Post
    Your old $3500 frame is on par with a new $3500 frame. The only new technology you're missing out on is the spin from the marketing department.
    That is true. I get Strava PRs with my 1993 technology C-40 as I do with my 2009 Prince. The C-40 has low profile aluminum rims the Prince 38/68mm Enve Carbon hoops. The Prince is about 2 pounds lighter.

Keep your current ride and train more...but it is always a great feeling to have a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suppose the carbon - the actual structure of the frame - is on par with the new stuff. If anything, I'm missing out on a few more years of Scott playing with wind tunnels - the newer Addict/Foil is evidently pretty slippery. But, really... I'm 6'1", 185 pounds and ride a 61cm frame - I see OVER most riders out there... my shoulders and head are way more of an aero penalty than my frame.

Maybe I'll just keep my eye out for one of those crazy deals on the 6800 group sets (without the crank) and keep that "old" Addict for a few more years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatochip View Post
    This is actually truth that many riders just don't want to hear/read

As was said above somewhere look at how many guys on older 8 or 9 speed rigs pass you on a group ride.
    Fai Mao
    A Proud Retrogrouch