vintage frame made for 700c wheels?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019

vintage frame made for 700c wheels?

What year or dropout spacing or speed to look for when searching for vintage 70s or 80s steel frames that are made for 700c wheels. When i look for frames for sale there is a lot of misadvertising saying there frame takes 700 when the do not. This is an issue when trying to build a vintage frame with new components. sheldon brown only says that this isnt an issue just a 4 mm pad adjustment or buy long reach brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by newtakeon View Post
    What year or dropout spacing or speed to look for when searching for vintage 70s or 80s steel frames that are made for 700c wheels. When i look for frames for sale there is a lot of misadvertising saying there frame takes 700 when the do not. This is an issue when trying to build a vintage frame with new components. sheldon brown only says that this isnt an issue just a 4 mm pad adjustment or buy long reach brakes?
    The only "vintage" frames that took 27 inch instead of 700c wheels were lower end bikes. How do you know these frames you're seeing won't take 700c? In most cases, Sheldon Brown is right that brake reach can accommodate both wheel sizes. If the frame needs long reach brakes to work with 700c then it wouldn't be "vintage" but rather just "old." Such frames rarely warrant any investment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Thank you. I am trying to buy a late 70s 80s steel road bike frame to place my new components on it. This solves a bike fit problem for me.. The problem i have encountered is the brake reach problem. I dont want change my ultegra brakes designed for 700c wheels. It seems to be really difficult to determine what an older bikes frame was made for. Pardon my use of the word vintage

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newtakeon View Post
    Thank you. I am trying to buy a late 70s 80s steel road bike frame to place my new components on it. This solves a bike fit problem for me.. The problem i have encountered is the brake reach problem. I dont want change my ultegra brakes designed for 700c wheels. It seems to be really difficult to determine what an older bikes frame was made for. Pardon my use of the word vintage
    Your Ultegra brakes are not designed for 700c wheels. They are designed for frames that are designed for short reach brakes.

Pretty much any road frame will be designed for 700c wheels. Most, but not all, are designed for short reach brakes like the modern Ultegra ones.

Rear drop out spacing is also something you need to consider when looking at old bikes and intending to use new-ish wheels.