Volagi trying to fund a new bike in a diffrent way
    RoadBikeReview Member

Volagi trying to fund a new bike in a diffrent way

This popped up on face book and I thought it was a cool Idea. Volagi is that company that makes the disc brake road bikes that took on Spec. and beat them. Now they want to make a new adventure bike. So they are asking for help from the public.
    The Viaje Bicycle: Engineered for Adventure by Volagi Cycles — Kickstarter

Anphaque II
    I like those forks!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    This popped up on face book and I thought it was a cool Idea. Volagi is that company that makes the disc brake road bikes that took on Spec. and beat them. Now they want to make a new adventure bike. So they are asking for help from the public.
    The Viaje Bicycle: Engineered for Adventure by Volagi Cycles Kickstarter

What killed the deal for me was the BB.

I do not like pressed in BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    What killed the deal for me was the BB.

I do not like pressed in BB.
    Yea I'm the same way. But its what people seem to want now. I'm not ordering one I have to build a new mountain race bike for next season. So I will have to make due with the 2 road bikes I have right now. I have never herd of kickstarter before. I thought it sounded like a cool Idea I hope it works for them. I really like the idea of there bikes. I have a local shop that has them. I have to get down there and demo one some time.

Anphaque II
    Yea I'm the same way. But its what people seem to want now. I'm not ordering one I have to build a new mountain race bike for next season. So I will have to make due with the 2 road bikes I have right now. I have never herd of kickstarter before. I thought it sounded like a cool Idea I hope it works for them. I really like the idea of there bikes. I have a local shop that has them. I have to get down there and demo one some time.

Yeah, I really like the geometry on the bike. And in general, it's a good looking bike.

But no way with that pressed in BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    It is an intriguing bike. Salsa is doing something similar with it's Warbird...dirt road-able at a decent price.
    And I agree on the B/B......but I think the bomb proof threaded B/B is going the way of the dodo bird. Every new bike that catches my eye and a press fit....And the 1 bike I owned with a pressed in was a pain until I finally cured it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    If a company needs to use Kickstarter to fund a project I would be a little concerned that it may not be as stable of a company as you think. We will see if they are still around in 5-10 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    Yeah, I really like the geometry on the bike. And in general, it's a good looking bike.

But no way with that pressed in BB.
    Interesting concept, personally I am not interested. I hope it does make a take-off. Shame though, the frame will not be manufactured in the U.S.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by g-Bike View Post
    If a company needs to use Kickstarter to fund a project I would be a little concerned that it may not be as stable of a company as you think. We will see if they are still around in 5-10 years.
    There's no guarantee that any company will be around next week....never mind 5-10 years. If you're worried about a warrantee on a 5-10 year old frame...especially on a low cost frame.....you're in the wrong sport.
    Last edited by the mayor; 09-01-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    Interesting concept, personally I am not interested. I hope it does make a take-off. Shame though, the frame will not be manufactured in the U.S.
    Yeah; Once cheap labor was found off shore, it's hard to compete against it via price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    The company is as good as gone now. This is desperation! If there was any chance of the company to succeed, lots of private equity companies would be investing. But third party equity firms are smart and look to make investments that are safe. That should tell everyone something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stanseven View Post
    The company is as good as gone now. This is desperation! If there was any chance of the company to succeed, lots of private equity companies would be investing. But third party equity firms are smart and look to make investments that are safe. That should tell everyone something.
    Have you ever done any investment deals? PE firms would take a lot of ownership of the company in return for their dollars. Kickstarter allows a company to raise a small amount of money and not give away any equity. Raising money by handing out a few t shirts is a fantastic way to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjc View Post
    Have you ever done any investment deals? PE firms would take a lot of ownership of the company in return for their dollars. Kickstarter allows a company to raise a small amount of money and not give away any equity. Raising money by handing out a few t shirts is a fantastic way to go.
    Thank you...
    I'm glad some one has a clue....

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Viaje Bicycle: Engineered for Adventure by Volagi Cycles — Kickstarter

The go anywhere bike...sounds a lot like a Specialized Tri Cross to me...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

yes

but Without the Specialized..

let me see;
    1) steel
    2) disc brakes
    3) flexible chainstays for comfort
    4) small company

Volagi has been doing disc comfort frames for over 1 year and basically won in court for their design..
    so, no just not a tricrosscruztarmacroubaixabike....
    Last edited by a_avery007; 09-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007 View Post

let me steel;
    1) steel
    2) disc brakes
    4) small company

Volagi has been doing disc comfort frames for over 1 year and basically won in court for their design..
    Actually they lost in court...its too bad, it looks as though they could really use that dollar right now.
    Specialized V. Volagi Verdict: Choi Liable, Forsman Not Liable - BikeRadar

flinty-eyed moderator

let me steel;
    1) steel
    2) disc brakes
    4) small company

Yeah whats with the myth they won? They lost the case, but lucked out on the damages. But given how much they spent on legal fees and the revelations on their conduct, they in no way "won". Now they want Kickstarter money to produce a lightly modified Redline Cross disc? Lol- good luck with that.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper FSR View Post
    Actually they lost in court...its too bad, it looks as though they could really use that dollar right now.
    Specialized V. Volagi Verdict: Choi Liable, Forsman Not Liable - BikeRadar
    Most of Specialized's claims were thrown out before it went to trial. They were all of Specialized most important claims. So it is not really clear cut. Overall it looks like Specialized lost.

If a prosecutor chaged someone with twenty counts, including murder and racketeering, but only managed a conviction for jaywalking, for which the defendent is fined $1, I think it would be fair to say the prosecutor lost, and lost big.

I am not so sure about this Kickstarter plan. It could be that the suit cost so much money that they have to resort to this. Winning over Specialized may have been a Pyrrhic victory.
    Last edited by trailrunner68; 09-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjc View Post
    Since the video mentions the new bike, I assume they need a lot more money than they get from a few t-shirts. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I assume the company needs a lot more money than that. The thing about a private equity company is finding one that matches your interests and operational goals. But yes, I've been a key part of two different investment deals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Thank you...
    I'm glad some one has a clue....
    Really nice. You throw out insults. I guess that comment shows how much class and intelligence you have.

Anphaque II
    just go away man, i mean seriously, do not reply to my comments ever!

your reading comprehension skills surely must be at the third grade level.

sPeCiAlIzed clearly lost in the spirit of the law.....
    I dont even care if they are local; clue they ain't...offshore chinese crap does not count..

so just go and waste away...
    blurry eyed one....

I see a vacation in your future........

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

just go away man, i mean seriously, do not reply to my comments ever!

your reading comprehension skills surely must be at the third grade level.

sPeCiAlIzed clearly lost in the spirit of the law.....
    I dont even care if they are local; clue they ain't...offshore chinese crap does not count..

so just go and waste away...
    blurry eyed one....
    You have chosen- poorly.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it cometh...
    Attached Images Attached Images