Warranty refused for misaligned Lynskey frame - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I just don't get this, something is awry?
    I don't think so. The problem was, in part, Lynskey doesn't transact business in Australia - they don't have an AUS business set up. They rely on a rep/dealer to take care of things and do well by them, effectively as the voice of Lynskey. That was where the dispute was - between the OP and the rep. Apparently it took some time to work through that with the rep.

The wakeup call for Lynskey may be that they need a different rep in AUS.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

“Never use your face as a brake pad
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Crickets.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same thought yesterday when the Lynskey sale ads popped up.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Keep in mind this is the Internet.
    As Campy 11 chains don't follow the 12 1/16" rule, it's wise to change them at 132.60 mm max.
    Lights and road riding - it's not about what you need to see, it's what it takes to be seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    Keep in mind this is the Internet.
    But everything on the internet is true, and you're a French model, right ?

I had the thought about this one long ago, that this could easily be a disrep plant, and nobody would have any way of knowing.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Or, he could have actually received a misaligned frame

Quote Originally Posted by ibericb
    ...and nobody would have any way of knowing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    And there is no way of knowing, one way or the other. That's the point.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Don't know why Battler2 has gone quiet on this. Its poor form imo to start it a thread like this and not finish...but that's just me.

You can read the end result on our local forum from page 7...

Australian Cycling Forums - Being REFUSED warranty on a defective Lynskey frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    But everything on the internet is true, and you're a French model, right ?

I had the thought about this one long ago, that this could easily be a disrep plant, and nobody would have any way of knowing.

Yeah... Uber troll. That's why I came back. I'd still sell a Lynsky frame if you gave it to me. But I'm thinking more and more, disrep jackass poster. This thread has been icky and off from the start. Now, this doesn't happen with companies that support their products and eat losses where needed even if they are wrong. That's good business in the long haul and bad business in today's ledger. I'd NEVER buy a Lynsky product. But that only screams uber troll has won?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I could have won the Powerball last week.

On the other hand I do have among the bikes in the shop, 4 Lynskey frames and a 5th in production at the moment.
    As Campy 11 chains don't follow the 12 1/16" rule, it's wise to change them at 132.60 mm max.
    Lights and road riding - it's not about what you need to see, it's what it takes to be seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    I could have won the Powerball last week.

On the other hand I do have among the bikes in the shop, 4 Lynskey frames and a 5th in production at the moment.
    What does that comment mean?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    What does that comment mean?
    One is a possibility

One is an actual fact

Based on the linked thread on the replacement frame, the OP was provided an upgraded frame. It was never shown that there was a misaligned frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cage. View Post
    Don't know why Battler2 has gone quiet on this. Its poor form imo to start it a thread like this and not finish...but that's just me.

You can read the end result on our local forum from page 7...

Australian Cycling Forums - Being REFUSED warranty on a defective Lynskey frame
    Thanks Cage. I think Battler2 was just spreading the word to empower his claim. He owes Lynskey a resolved post at least, preferably on his original post. Sounds like the Aussie Distributor sucks and Lynskey are stuck with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I would never buy a Lynsky either.............. and I didn't thank god..MOOTS all the wayIMG_1111 (800x600).jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Hi Battler2,

how did you go with this??? I am in the proceeds of concluding a 4 year battle with Lynskey with a very an issue like yours. I got an R450 then R350 months apart from each other off them in the second half of 2014. The R450 was always problematic with rear wheel removal/insertion. I would have to smack it out with the palm of my hand. My tires 23mm. When I took delivery of the R350.....same thing. I just thought it was how they were made. In 2016 I went to replace the 23mm tires with 25mm. It was then apparent that the tire sat within 1mm of the drive side chain stay with heaps of clearance on the non drive side. Ride down to same nano meter my R450 had the same issue. Different brands of tires would touch. Contacted Lynskey got given the hot a pot hole line,damaged in freight & wheel dishing etc blah blah blah. I too initially delt with Don Irwin. I knew something was'nt right as the two frames had exactly the same issue. The boxes were not damaged when i received them initially as well.
    They are finally coming to the party but i have to pay freight from Sydney Australia. So costly. But just in case they change their minds I getting fuel for the fire. I have come across two other guys who had similar issues with late 2014 frames. Actually the same issues. But they sold the frames.

If there were frame issues during this period i would have to feel for Lynskey, as they were real busy shipping frames globally....a lot of recalls and freight costs. Not good for a company of that size.

Would really appreciate some feed back from you re this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It was then apparent that the tire sat within 1mm of the drive side chain stay with heaps of clearance on the non drive side. Ride down to same nano meter my R450 had the same issue. Different brands of tires would touch. Contacted Lynskey got given the hot a pot hole line,damaged in freight & wheel dishing etc blah blah blah. I too initially delt with Don Irwin. I knew something was'nt right as the two frames had exactly the same issue.
    I would have given you some wheel dishing blah blah too.

Have you put the same wheel(s) in a third frame? A different wheel in the Lynskey?

It very well could be both frames are off by the same amount. But the logical guess there would indeed be wheel dishing if you are using the same wheel in both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Very quick way to test, flip the wheel around and put it back in the other way. If the wheel dish was off, it would be close to the other chainstay.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for showing interest in this topic as which I have mentioned has been dragging on for some time. The obvious should be stated that having two bikes meant two sets of wheels. Even with one wheel you can can insert 180D the other way for a simple dish test.

Before I go any further i will say Lynskey have just agreed finally to sort this just as I had reached out to the battler2 who started this thread. so hoping a 4 year on and off sporadic communication with Lynskey will come to an end.

There were two issues with the frame. As mentioned when I first got the R450 insertion and removal of the rear wheel after opening the brake caliper and releasing the quick release, the rear wheel had to be smacked hard with the palm of my hand for removal. Insertion was'nt easy either. When the R350 arrived a few months later same thing..i just thought, okay its how these frames are...

However...two years later from Lynskey in 2016 I got my wife an R315, her friend an R360 and myself an Urbansky. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE REAR WHEEL INSERTION OR REMOVAL. In fact the rear wheel action was inline with all my other bikes. The rear wheel would just pop in and out...like a dream. I raised the issue and got given the run around....2016 was also the year that 25mm tires gained popularity. It was when I went to upgrade my tires from 23mm to 25mm i could clearly noticed the chain stay tire clearance issue. Hence my alignment concerns. Both frames had the 25mm tire set up hard up against the drive side chain stay. My wifes R315 and here friends R360....no problems with a 25mm tire and also both these frames had the wheel sitting dead center..this is what got me. Unlike other people who may have experienced this with frames built in 2014(i say may have) i had other frames from Lynskey to make a direct comparison.....and other bikes annnnnd lots of wheel sets. The R350 & R450 are both spec'ed for 25mm tires. You can still google the specs from various retailers.

Its my opinion that for a very small window in 2014 production of these bikes something was overlooked. I will be very clear to anyone reading this that the other Lynskeys i own including a Ridgeline 29er are excellent in every way possible.
    I have a lot of bikes, and the R350 on 23mm tires is my favourite of them all. The 3/2 Ti is plush. The R450 was rarely ridden and I retired it a few years back. Its 6/4 ti made it stiff but less compliant.

Maybe the two issues these frames have are related. i'm not a frame builder. But regardless they have been a standout against all my other bikes. They cost me a lot of money....enough said!

I'm hoping for a response from battler2 who brought his frame from during the same period as me...to see if his problems were the same...

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for showing interest in this topic as which I have mentioned has been dragging on for some time. The obvious should be stated that having two bikes meant two sets of wheels. Even with one wheel you can can insert 180D the other way for a simple dish test.

Before I go any further i will say Lynskey have just agreed finally to sort this just as I had reached out to the battler2 who started this thread. so hoping a 4 year on and off sporadic communication with Lynskey will come to an end.

There were two issues with the frame. As mentioned when I first got the R450 insertion and removal of the rear wheel after opening the brake caliper and releasing the quick release, the rear wheel had to be smacked hard with the palm of my hand for removal. Insertion was'nt easy either. When the R350 arrived a few months later same thing..i just thought, okay its how these frames are...

However...two years later from Lynskey in 2016 I got my wife an R315, her friend an R360 and myself an Urbansky. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE REAR WHEEL INSERTION OR REMOVAL. In fact the rear wheel action was inline with all my other bikes. The rear wheel would just pop in and out...like a dream. I raised the issue and got given the run around....2016 was also the year that 25mm tires gained popularity. It was when I went to upgrade my tires from 23mm to 25mm i could clearly noticed the chain stay tire clearance issue. Hence my alignment concerns. Both frames had the 25mm tire set up hard up against the drive side chain stay. My wifes R315 and here friends R360....no problems with a 25mm tire and also both these frames had the wheel sitting dead center..this is what got me. Unlike other people who may have experienced this with frames built in 2014(i say may have) i had other frames from Lynskey to make a direct comparison.....and other bikes annnnnd lots of wheel sets. The R350 & R450 are both spec'ed for 25mm tires. You can still google the specs from various retailers.

Its my opinion that for a very small window in 2014 production of these bikes something was overlooked. I will be very clear to anyone reading this that the other Lynskeys i own including a Ridgeline 29er are excellent in every way possible.
    I have a lot of bikes, and the R350 on 23mm tires is my favourite of them all. The 3/2 Ti is plush. The R450 was rarely ridden and I retired it a few years back. Its 6/4 ti made it stiff but less compliant.

Maybe the two issues these frames have are related. i'm not a frame builder. But regardless they have been a standout against all my other bikes. They cost me a lot of money....enough said!

I'm hoping for a response from battler2 who brought his frame from during the same period as me...to see if his problems were the same...

Thanks...
    I spent lots of time frame shopping over the past 4 months to build up a bike from nothing. I never, ever, even for a second would have considered a Lynsey frame. I looked at eBay and others and was willing to ship from worldwide. I had a Lynsey frame in the right size show up 10 minutes up the road in the next town over. I didn’t even bother. This company looks more and more like a POS operation all the time, which is worrisome because their products, in the event of failure, could easily kill someone. No f’in thanks. Bad products from bad companies... Caveat emptor I guess. But not for me.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid

Thanks...
    You have never said whether or not you tried a different wheel in your frame. You never mentioned whether you'd flipped the wheel in your frame either. If I were a warranty guy these are the VERY FIRST questions I'd ask.
    Well...have you?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Will try and determine the purchase date of my Lynskey Cooper CX. I bought it on ebay directly from Lynskey back when they would list frames at no reserve. The rear wheel rubbed into the brake pads - no matter what. You could set it not to rub on the stand, then as soon as you start riding, it is rubbing again.

Well, the guy at Lynskey (who is no longer with the company) told me straight up that the frame probably has to be aligned. They covered the cost of shipping to/from California and included a new rear thru-axle skewer as well (the original was poor quality).

Happy with it now, but it was a mystery and frankly a PITA back then.

Hi Battler2,

how did you go with this??? I am in the proceeds of concluding a 4 year battle with Lynskey with a very an issue like yours. I got an R450 then R350 months apart from each other off them in the second half of 2014. The R450 was always problematic with rear wheel removal/insertion. I would have to smack it out with the palm of my hand. My tires 23mm. When I took delivery of the R350.....same thing. I just thought it was how they were made. In 2016 I went to replace the 23mm tires with 25mm. It was then apparent that the tire sat within 1mm of the drive side chain stay with heaps of clearance on the non drive side. Ride down to same nano meter my R450 had the same issue. Different brands of tires would touch. Contacted Lynskey got given the hot a pot hole line,damaged in freight & wheel dishing etc blah blah blah. I too initially delt with Don Irwin. I knew something was'nt right as the two frames had exactly the same issue. The boxes were not damaged when i received them initially as well.
    They are finally coming to the party but i have to pay freight from Sydney Australia. So costly. But just in case they change their minds I getting fuel for the fire. I have come across two other guys who had similar issues with late 2014 frames. Actually the same issues. But they sold the frames.

If there were frame issues during this period i would have to feel for Lynskey, as they were real busy shipping frames globally....a lot of recalls and freight costs. Not good for a company of that size.

Would really appreciate some feed back from you re this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    ^^purchased mine in Aug 2016^^
    took awhile to figure out that it was out of alignment tho!

will shoot you a PM in case I can help.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345