what bike to buy?

Mar 2004

what bike to buy?

ok, i am a newbie to road biking and before this year used to just ride my hardtail around on the roads and do a little off roading, but not much so i decided to get a road bike and just recently bought a friend's late 80s schwinn traveler for a few bucks. i am thinking of taking up road biking as part of my cross training for track and cross country and might enter some triathaltons since i also swim, but i figure i need to refine my biking skills first. my budget for a new bike is around 1000.00. i was looking at the 04 ocr1 or the 04 specialized allez elite. the shops around me carry giant, specialized, cannondale,klien, and lemond. out of those makes, what bikes would you suggest?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat007
    ok, i am a newbie to road biking and before this year used to just ride my hardtail around on the roads and do a little off roading, but not much so i decided to get a road bike and just recently bought a friend's late 80s schwinn traveler for a few bucks. i am thinking of taking up road biking as part of my cross training for track and cross country and might enter some triathaltons since i also swim, but i figure i need to refine my biking skills first. my budget for a new bike is around 1000.00. i was looking at the 04 ocr1 or the 04 specialized allez elite. the shops around me carry giant, specialized, cannondale,klien, and lemond. out of those makes, what bikes would you suggest?
    I was in the same situation as you for some time and spent a year test riding every bike I could. I tested Lemond and loved their steel. I am not a fan of aluminum (even though it may have come a long way). Take the Specialized out for ride, more than a parking lot spin and then compare it to the Lemond on the same ride. With the Lemond you might feel, as did I, how well the steel feels alive when you pedal, while the Allez may and should do the same it may have a harsher jarring feel--very still. Also to note, aluminum is more brittle than steel and will not bend, but brake; and you will have to protect steel with paint to fend off potential rust.

Hopes this helps. Steel is wonderful, and would recommend Lemond.

Mar 2004
    I have the allez and love it! But Cheers is right, while it does feel VERY lively, the ride is a bit bumpy. The stiff frame ensures that every bit of pedaling force goes straight to the road, and the carbon fork and seatpost help with the jarring, but it is still a harsh ride. I'm only 20 and my butt doesn't mind it, even with a minimalist saddle (the Selle San Marco ASPide), but you may not like it. Definitely look into that bike though, as it has one of the best components setups of any bike in the $1000 range. Good luck, and buy what fits!

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat007
    The shop I work at carries Specialized, Schwinn, Cannondale, Salsa, Basso, Surly, Giant.
    For the money you'll get the most out of Giant. The OCR 1 has a Ultegra rear deraileur where the Allez Elite has a 105. At our shop the OCR is $50 cheaper than the Allez too. Cannondale and Klein you are paying for a great frame with lesser components for more money so it's not worth it unless you plan upgrades. The Allez isn't a "true" 105 bike either. The wheels are Alex, the cranks and brakes calipers are Specialized factory parts. One of the best buys for the $1000 price range is the Schwinn Fastback Comp. It is a true full 105 bike. Cranks, brake calipers, levers and shifters, hubs and both deraileurs. For the money, if you can locate a Schwinn dealer in your area is the best deal. Plus if you can find and '03 you'll get the same stuff, but most likely discounted.

The Allez Sport isn't bad for the money either. At $750 it has a 105 rear der., Tiagra front and Tiagra brakes and shifters.

Allez Elite
    OCR 1
    R500 or R600
    Fastback Comp
    Last edited by Sketchy One; 03-13-2004 at 12:57 AM.

Mar 2004
    Thanks for all of your suggestions on what bike to get. I am going to go to the shop tomorrow and check out what they have and see if i can get anything for my 02 giant ds1 as far as trade-ins go.