What brand of bike is this??
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Devoid of all flim-flam
    You gotta post another picture, a different one.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Ttf

The head badge is the only identifying marking on it, it does have the number 8384 stamped into the seat downtube right at the top of the tube.
    Yellow bike Shimano Lark SS rear derailuer. nothing else identifiying on it anywhere. components date it early 70s?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

TTF pics

Quote Originally Posted by billetproofcustoms View Post
    The head badge is the only identifying marking on it, it does have the number 8384 stamped into the seat downtube right at the top of the tube.
    Yellow bike Shimano Lark SS rear derailuer. nothing else identifiying on it anywhere. components date it early 70s?
    here is another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Ttf

Anyone have any idea??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Deleted
    Last edited by ogre; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM. Reason: didn't see pic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Ttf

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Deleted
    What does that mean? There is a pic in my OP, and apic in my last post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Answer to Ogre

Deleted
    The pinstriping makes me think that this was a nice bike for its time. Not sure if these questions will provide answers but ask -

Can you determine the threading of the frame?

Is the crank cottered or cotterless? Cotter

Any stamps on the rear dropouts? Are they Campy? No stamps anywhere other than the seat tube

Any components on there that could be OEM? If so, what are they? Shimano components, all match. Lark SS rear, thunderbird front .

700c or 27 inch wheels? Short reach or long reach brakes? 27 inch wheels, not sure how to tell on the brakes.

Maybe answering a couple of these questions will narrow down the time period it was made and help determine or eliminate countries of origin.

What the what???
    The head badge seems to read TF, but the brake cable is in the way. Is there another letter in the center?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Ttf

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    The head badge seems to read TF, but the brake cable is in the way. Is there another letter in the center?

Letters are all combined, center is a large T, there is a T on the left, and an F on the right.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Not sure who made it, but from your pics, I've made a few observations:

Shimano Lark is an ancient, low-end derailleur line, from about 50 years ago.

Having friction shifters on the stem is an indicator of a low-end bike.

Having a kickstand is a similar indicator.

A straight pipe seatpost with a cheap steel saddle clamp is an indicator of a low-end bike.

Heavy steel cotter cranks likewise.

Cut-steel dropouts crimped to the seatstays=cheap.

No quick-releases? Cheap!

Those old center-pull brakes ain't much, either

So, it looks like a slightly more expensive department store bike from circa 1970. I'd bet it's Belgian, probably retailed for about $120 when new (as opposed to $99 at a discount store), probably with heavy straight-gage tubes held together by a slightly ornate head tube, but otherwise plain lugs. It WAS chrome-plated before painting, so at least it probably won't rust fast.

Value? Maybe $100 IF everything is in top working order (which I doubt is the case). If not, well, a nice-looking frame as this will be worth a bit more than scrap value, but there is no great value in this old sled.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

What the what???
    The stem, fork lugs and Shimano Lark... maybe a C. Itoh from Japan???

Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

Russian Troll Farmer
    C. Itoh is probably a good equivalent, but is probably about 5 year newer. Also, Itoh was more of a west-coast thing, which we saw very few of in the east at that time. Early Shimano stuff competed against Huret components in the days before Sachs bought them out. Those lugs on that frame pretty much scream "European", though, and at that point, Belgium was the epicenter of cheaper 10-speeds.

BTW, I just love that clunky chrome car headlight on the Itoh. Probably bought that kit at Western Auto back in the day....

What the what???
    The head badge is a bit of a mystery to me. It doesn’t quite seem to fit the head tube and I can’t find a reference to “TTF”. A one-off maybe, or a local cycling club back in the day???

Russian Troll Farmer
    That Pletcher rack on the back may be the most valuable thing on this bike- sometimes they sell on EBay for $15 or more! Since the bike has 27" wheels, it was obviously made for the American market. Probably was sold by some discount or sporting goods chain, which might explain the headbadge that doesn't really match the lugs. The pinstriping around the ornate headtube lug is probably just a case of 'putting lipstick on a pig', because the rest of this bike ain't worth much!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

thanks

Thanks for the input on this one guys, It actually is in good working order as it sits, but I am going to bring it to top shape and sell it. (frame is too big for me anyway) I picked it up along with a Schwinn World Sport Xtra Lite at a local garage sale for $20. I wont make much on it, but at least I'm keeping it on the road. I hate seeing old bikes get destroyed.
    Last edited by billetproofcustoms; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Not sure who made it, but from your pics, I've made a few observations:

Shimano Lark is an ancient, low-end derailleur line, from about 50 years ago.

Having friction shifters on the stem is an indicator of a low-end bike.

Having a kickstand is a similar indicator.

A straight pipe seatpost with a cheap steel saddle clamp is an indicator of a low-end bike.

Heavy steel cotter cranks likewise.

Cut-steel dropouts crimped to the seatstays=cheap.

No quick-releases? Cheap!

Those old center-pull brakes ain't much, either

So, it looks like a slightly more expensive department store bike from circa 1970. I'd bet it's Belgian, probably retailed for about $120 when new (as opposed to $99 at a discount store), probably with heavy straight-gage tubes held together by a slightly ornate head tube, but otherwise plain lugs. It WAS chrome-plated before painting, so at least it probably won't rust fast.

Value? Maybe $100 IF everything is in top working order (which I doubt is the case). If not, well, a nice-looking frame as this will be worth a bit more than scrap value, but there is no great value in this old sled.
    That's why I tried to delete my post. At first I thought it may be a Euro bike with personality, but I didn't see the the second pic until after I posted. Yep, stamped dropouts and hb-stem mounted shifters are the deal killers.

Amazing that my original thoughts were resurrected when I edited the comments less than a minute after posting. I guess I better never run for public office.

Still, the pinstriping is nice and that's a nice head tube badge. Sometimes monograms have the last name as the middle initial, maybe you should be searching for a builder with initials TFT?

Russian Troll Farmer
    ....maybe you should be searching for a builder with initials TFT?
    This bike was factory built. Certainly no 'builder' would do a rear dropout as cheap as that! More likely, you should be looking for some small chain of general retail stores with the "TTF" initials.