Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What makes it a "boys bike"? Why couldn't I get it for my daughter???

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike for-Kids
is a good bike. Now everyone said it's only boys can use. Is that true why not my daughter can use it.

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">Mongoose Legion Freestyle Sidewalk BMX Bike for-Kids</body>

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's perfectly fine for a girl to use a "boy's" bike if she likes it.

Heck, I had to ride a girl's bike when I was a kid because it's what was available at the "too good to throw away" spot at the local landfill. I barely even complained.
Me too. My first bike was a used "girl's bike" that was a hand-me-down from my two older girl cousins. Actually I was happy it was since it would have been much too big for me if I had to straddle a boy's bike top tube.

The origin of the "girl's bike" or "ladies bike" was during the late 19th century when women all rode in voluminous skirts and the top tube of a men's frame would have made that difficult to impossible to say nothing of immodest.

#4 ·
My first two or three bicycles were inherited from my older sister. She outgrew them. She got a new one. I'd get the old one. My first boy's bike was a hand-me-down from my older cousin -- a Sturmey-Archer three speed. My first ten speed? Like many baby boomer kids -- a Huret-geared ten speed Royce-Union. A couple sizes too big.

#5 ·
The bike doesn't look like it cares what gender it's marketed for. Back when I was growing up, there were kids' bikes that had a removable top tube so they could look gender specific.

On adult bikes, gender specific bikes have a more practical use. Most women have proportionally longer legs than men do and men have a proportionally longer torso. Of course there are plenty of people who fly in the face of this "majority" of men and women. Many women fit better on a men's specific frame than a women's specific frame. And of course some of the women's specific bikes come in more "girly" colors like pink, purple and light blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.