What is the name of this C40 paint scheme ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tourist

What is the name of this C40 paint scheme ?

Thanks,

Pierre
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg C.jpg (128.3 KB, 762 views)

toomanybikes
    I'm just guessing here - but -- Ugly??

As with most Colnagos of recent years.

Hijack over - back to your regular thread now ......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice reply . It's LX10.

-Keith

Mar 2004

Ohhh. .

Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    I'm just guessing here - but -- Ugly??

Hijack over - back to your regular thread now ......

Sad sac as you can't afford one? Tho ones up to 2003 and early 2004 are the nice ones. It's the '05's and the "PR" paint styles which are horrific.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL
    [FONT=Century Gothic]
    Sad sac ( uhh - no ...) as you can't afford one?( I certainly could - however I prefer to spend money on things I like the look of .... ) Tho ones up to 2003 and early 2004 are the nice ones. It's the '05's and the "PR" paint styles which are horrific. No Arguement there at all, just not real fond of the earlier ones either, it's a personal choice issue ...........[/FONT]

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Toomany -- Looking at that frame, before scrolling down to your comment, I was thinking to myself how beautiful it was....
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei Roida
    Toomany -- Looking at that frame, before scrolling down to your comment, I was thinking to myself how beautiful it was....

Clearly, different people, different likes and dis-likes / different taste.

Colnago wouldn't sell as many frames as they do if an awful lot of people didn't agree with you.

I think an awful lot of bike manufacturers now-a-days have veered into the world of "clown Bikes" with some of the paint schemes - simply too loud for my tastes.

That's what makes the world go around and I am clearly, I think, in the minority.

Now, for what it's worth, I was a great fan of Colnagos back in the pre indexing days, and still like those bikes, I'm just not a fan of the paint schemes and finishes they go for in recent years.

Jan 2005
    Yeah, and the kicker is you need to shell out more dough and wait a longer time for a standard paint job. Yeah like these guys have forgotten how to paint an Italian bike frame all Ferrari Red, for example.

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei Roida
    it has that somewhat oriental, arabesqued look that only italians from all meridional europe took from the east.. which i like a lot. mixed w/ a high number of colnago logos and the horrible bstay moniker lettering, the whole thing becomes a bit tacky.
    since the colnago hype attracts the nouveau riche of cycling (as much as everybody else is attracted to the riding qualities), the tackynness ens up first while the oriental gets lost..
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Tourist
    Actually it seems that it is not the LX10 paint scheme. Not very far, but not it. So my question remains open.

By the way, the only thing I find annoying with the C40s : the paint chips for no reason. Nobody's going to make me believe that they have a 5000 miles old C40 with absolutely no paint chip. It can be 2mm paint chips, 5mm paint chips or 1cm paint chips, there must be some. The Merlin X-Light I ride most of the time, on the other hand, has no paint chip, barely some decals that went off and can be replaced more or less easily.

Pierre

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dont know (or care) what the company calls it,,, but I call it pretty f**k'n cool....
    Being a child of the '80's I tend to like outlandish things though....
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KATZRKOL

Sad sac as you can't afford one? Tho ones up to 2003 and early 2004 are the nice ones. It's the '05's and the "PR" paint styles which are horrific.
    I'd rather not be able to afford it than afford it and not be able to ride it. No one (should be) stupid enough to actually race that thing, so what's the point? A masturbatory group-effort on your Saturday morning - before the kids wake and the mini-van-and-wife comes-a-calling - 14-mph average for 20 mi "team" ride? Screw that; I'll take my young, fast legs, my 150 pounds, my 1400 watts, and my 19 lb custom steel without the flash paint any day. All I have to do is beat that guy, anyway.

I think this thread hi-jack was successful!
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Nov 2002
    Looks like that well known "FUGLY" paint scheme. The paint boys must have had too much vino that year.

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I'd rather not be able to afford it than afford it and not be able to ride it. No one (should be) stupid enough to actually race that thing, so what's the point? A masturbatory group-effort on your Saturday morning - before the kids wake and the mini-van-and-wife comes-a-calling - 14-mph average for 20 mi "team" ride? Screw that; I'll take my young, fast legs, my 150 pounds, my 1400 watts, and my 19 lb custom steel without the flash paint any day. All I have to do is beat that guy, anyway.

I think this thread hi-jack was successful!
    nice effort.. but the old "rather yound and broke over rich and old, your wife and kids life is boring.." cliche lost validation in 2004.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br

Nov 2005
    This post is probably stale by now, but I remember back in the 80s I lusted after a Klein that had some garish red-orange-yellow tri-fade paint scheme. It occured to me then as this Colnago reminds me of now, that when you buy a bike that says "Hey, everybody, look at me!" you'd better be doing something that deserves looking at. It's probably a generalization, but I've seen more Colnagos under lawyers than on top of podiums lately.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fixintogo
    It's probably a generalization, but I've seen more Colnagos under lawyers than on top of podiums lately.

hehehe...

it is a status symbol, but one can't argue with Colnago's success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

huh!!

Its just a bike...to each his own folks....so anything wrong about riding a colnago if you can afford it...There are other bikes equally as expensive that don't get flamed...if colnago's were priced and painted like treks, cannondales and specialized...will their still be "haters"? I ride an MXL and don't race, only ride recreationally and couldn't care less if anyone passed me...I bought the bike for the ride and geometry. Why does it make people feel good to pass someone riding a colnago?

TheCapMan

Twitterpated
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    Actually it seems that it is not the LX10 paint scheme. Not very far, but not it. So my question remains open.
    Pierre,

I think that it is an LX10. I think there is more than one model year for the LX schemes with slight variation between years.
    ...You know, like the PR paintjobs: 2005 and pre-2005? The frame in the picture might be a 2002.

Thanks,
    Tshirt

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wzq622
    hehehe...

it is a status symbol, but one can't argue with Colnago's success.
    i find cyfacs and pinarellos modern design look(oh yeah:look too) classier. colnago's paint is garish.. though a lovable garish.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ultimately it's the competitiveness inside people that drives the hating, and Colnagos make an easy target (so are lawyers;-)). Vanity comes in many shapes and forms. It doesn't matter if it's the 50-year old with a $3K custom steel bike nobody has heard of, or the 20-year old with a beat up CAAD4. "I am less showy than you", "I am more hardcore than you, I am the true cyclist and you are not", ... these are all implicit statements which essentially scream "I am different and I am better".

By the way, a 4 year old C40 that goes for just over $1000 is hardly a status symbol, is it?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    Vanity comes in many shapes and forms. It doesn't matter if it's the 50-year old with a $3K custom steel bike nobody has heard of, or the 20-year old with a beat up CAAD4. "I am less showy than you", "I am more hardcore than you, I am the true cyclist and you are not", ... these are all implicit statements which essentially scream "I am different and I am better".

Wait a minute -- so now being NOT showy is actually being showy? How am I supposed to know if I'm cool or not?

RoadBikeReview Member

Wink

...when you buy a bike that says "Hey, everybody, look at me!" you'd better be doing something that deserves looking at. It's probably a generalization, but I've seen more Colnagos under lawyers than on top of podiums lately.
    Funny thing is, that if you do try and are not successful in beating a Colnago rider to the line, you'd blame his Colnago for it. "Well, it's a much better bike. If I had Colnago, you'd see.." And if you did win, you'd be posting here about posers and how Colnago is not a good bike for the money, because you can take them anytime on your steel bike. So I guess you're right, it is the paint job that makes Colnago not worthy for you. Until one day you get your arss whooped by a rider on a Colnago and cry foul. If you only had one..., you'd show that "lawyer".

toomanybikes
    It's a freaking Bike!!!!

A bike with a freaking ugly paint scheme.

The bike means nothing - the person riding it is what matters.

It is a collection of tubes, nothing more, nothing less, a collection of tubes with a freaking ugly paint job.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bon vivant
    Funny thing is, that if you do try and are not successful in beating a Colnago rider to the line, you'd blame his Colnago for it. "Well, it's a much better bike. If I had Colnago, you'd see.." And if you did win, you'd be posting here about posers and how Colnago is not a good bike for the money, because you can take them anytime on your steel bike. So I guess you're right, it is the paint job that makes Colnago not worthy for you. Until one day you get your arss whooped by a rider on a Colnago and cry foul. If you only had one..., you'd show that "lawyer".

Hmmm... I'm not sure about any of that.

Personally, I've never been beaten by a bike; only by its rider. Likewise, if I win a sprint it's because I had better legs than the other guy that day, not a better bike.

My point was simply that some people think that riding a paint job will make up for their shortcomings. I think that it calls more attention to them.

No need to get defensive about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm... I'm not sure about any of that.

Personally, I've never been beaten by a bike; only by its rider. Likewise, if I win a sprint it's because I had better legs than the other guy that day, not a better bike.

My point was simply that some people think that riding a paint job will make up for their shortcomings. I think that it calls more attention to them.

No need to get defensive about it.
    No defence here, just an overview of how "some people" like to make their opinion in to a "should be" behaviour for everybody. Nobody in a right mind thinks that "riding a paint job will make up for their shortcomings". They ride the "paint job" because they like it, or it was a good deal, or gift or... . And good for them.
    I race my C50 and do so because I love the fit on that bike. What colour it is, or do "some people" like it or not, is not my problem. My problem becomes when they tell me that the bike is not for me. I also win some and lose some sprints, and it's not due to the bike. But in a close race, it sure matters every adventage I can get. Yet, you see when some people lose, how somebodys Colnago becomes the reason for their shortcomings.
    Following your logic, only F1 drivers should drive fire red Ferrari's. When I do pass some of them in my car, my thinking is that I wish a had one. Not if they shouldn't be in that car. Only that I wish I was bihind the wheel of whatever colour that Ferrari is. For the experience. Try it next time. You'll feel better.
    So back to what the original poster asked, about the colour code for the Colnago on the picture. If you know, help the guy out. If not, don't volunteer your opinion and rain on somebody's parade. He likes the colour and that is what matters. He didn't ask about anybody's opinion on the colour, just a help on the code. Could you stick to the question without judging his taste?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast