What ti manufacturer, what strength
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

What ti manufacturer, what strength

I've worked hard and I'm thinking I deserve a top of the line ti bike. I'm thinking about celebrating my first year clean of cancer (that would be in June) with one. I know only very little about them. I have a carbon TCRc1 Giant and an aluminum Trek Pilot now. Friends have Merlins and Litespeeds and love them. I like the idea of going to Linskey because of his experience and so I can talk directly to the man. I'm in the USA if that makes a difference.

I'm 6 feet and about 230 to 235. I want to lose more weight (down about 150 from May 2005 after 10,000 miles on a bike in that time) but I still need it to be stiff.

I'm looking to spend about $4,000 to $5,000 for the finished bike. Is that realistic?

Any suggestions? All would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
    IceMan
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

Scary Teddy Bear

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by walleyeangler
    I've worked hard and I'm thinking I deserve a top of the line ti bike. I'm thinking about celebrating my first year clean of cancer (that would be in June) with one. I know only very little about them. I have a carbon TCRc1 Giant and an aluminum Trek Pilot now. Friends have Merlins and Litespeeds and love them. I like the idea of going to Linskey because of his experience and so I can talk directly to the man. I'm in the USA if that makes a difference.

I'm 6 feet and about 230 to 235. I want to lose more weight (down about 150 from May 2005 after 10,000 miles on a bike in that time) but I still need it to be stiff.

I'm looking to spend about $4,000 to $5,000 for the finished bike. Is that realistic?

Any suggestions? All would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
    IceMan

GO custom...get a moots or a Strong, or an Eriksen.....you'd have something unique, and at your size, custom might be better...plus at your weight, you really want straight gauge Ti....not butted. At that price point..you can get a SWEET custom....
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, custom for sure.
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer

Apr 2004

Moots/Eriksen/Hampsten/Kellog(Spectrum)

All the best with your recovery! I also would highly recommend custom in the price range you are considering and would un-hesitatingly recommend either a Moots or one of Kent's frames. With Kent you also get to deal directly with the man, a cool thing for sure. Also consider giving Steve Hampsten (ww.hampsten.com) a call if your a little unsure of working your way through a custom build on your own. Steve (Andy's brother) will gladly walk you through the process of coming up with a custom design to fit you and your needs and specs his ti frames from either Moots or Kent Eriksen. I got my custom Moots from Steve last summer and was very happy with the experience. Working with Steve got me the bike I needed, not the bike I thought I wanted to start with and I am very happy with the result.
    A custom Spectrum woould also be a good option (these are designed by Tom Kellog and built by his hand-picked team of frame builders at Merlin). I have a couple of friends who have them and love them. If you are on the east coast, this would be a great option as Tom could personally fit you (he lives near Philly and is considered by many as one of the finest fitters in the US).

SPG

eminence grease
    Strong, deSalvo, Kish, Moots (through Hamspten or LBS), Davidson, Eriksen - have fun shopping. Any one of these guys can put you on a fine custom frame with an outstanding component set in the price range you have.

I have two customs by Carl Strong, a custom Davidson and a custom Moots. All tremendous bikes delivered via a wonderful build process. Eriksen is next on my list if I can talk myself back into it.

Start with Carl - he likes to talk to customers on the phone.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

toomanybikes
    Holland, Kish, Davidson, .................................................. .

Sep 2002

The folks at Merlin

The folks at Merlin will also customize one for you for a couple hundred more than a stock frame.

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Also consider Serotta. They maybe considered a little more overpriced than some of the others mentioned but they are certainly every bit as good and a little more known to the general biking public. Some folks would like that others might not.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, the pres of our bike club has a Merlin...it is gorgeous and he is a strong guy and experiences no flex. That is a huge selling point that I know someone swho has one and is happy with it.
    Last edited by walleyeangler; 01-21-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer

RoadBikeReview Member

Consider a Seven all Ti

I went the Seven path as a gift to myself and what a gift it has been. They are superior folks to work with in getting what YOU want. The phone interview really impressed me and had significant influence on some important design choices.
    Stay Well and LiveSTRONG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Agree with Terry B

I have a Strong and a Moots. Besides those... Ericksen, Kish, Holland.
    Anyone of them will make you very happy.

Not Banned

Search the board

a guy put pix of his custom Holland with these beastly, Pegoretti-esque chain stays. I'm big as well and have thus never lusted after Ti until I saw that.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Jul 2005

Litespeed...

Litespeed does a ton of customs as well....if you NEED custom. Might be a waste to spend the money on custom if you don't need it. That money could be spent elsewhere.

The thing is, you could spend the extra money to get custom, or you could spend that extra money to get something really nice...top of the line parts. WIth money, you can get strong and light.

Mike

eminence grease
    I think most of the custom builders here compete pretty well on price with a standard, stock Litespeed frame. Litespeeds are no bargain, at least not until the end of the season when they go on sale.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    That's a good point. I ride a 58 cm. I had a professional bike fit and he lengthened my stem just a bit. I have no problem riding long and hard on it. No aches or pains after 7 centuries between Thanksgiving and the New Year. He said my perfect bike would be a 60 but when I have stood over one, the top tube was right to my sensitive bits, no one inch clearance at all. SO, I wonder if custom is really necessary. On the other hand, if I'm going to spend that much money, why not custom?

I talked with the tech at the LBS. He is very big and strong and he rode Moots and said it was very stiff, a good thing for big boys like me.

Ice Man

P.S. Thanks for all the insight. It is very helpful.
    Last edited by walleyeangler; 01-23-2007 at 06:33 AM.
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer