Y-foil tri conversion- preliminary pics w new fork
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Y-foil tri conversion- preliminary pics w new fork

Picked up a Y-foil with a wicked paint job and some strange changes (triple crank, spd pedals, etc). Planning on setting it up for tri use. I thought I would take an hour and swap out some parts to see how it might look, and post some preliminary pics here and see what people think. As in, what people think of this particular conversion, not the idea of riding a y-foil in general. My mind is made up on this beauty and there's other posts to bash this oddity of a frame if you wish.

I'm replacing the original threaded fork with a threadless one. (For preliminary pics, just to see how it looked, I took out the fork but kept the head tube races in for now, just in case it didn't work out as planned.) The y-foil forks are well known to be a strangely longer length, so swapping forks drops the front end a tad (rake is the same). I wondered if this factor plus the fast forward seatpost would distribute too much weight on the front axle. I put clip on bars onto the Bontrager drops just to see how aero bars might look, before taking everything apart.

First pic is how it came to me,
    Second is after ditching the Rolf wheels for my Ksyriums,
    Third and fourth are how it looked after switching out fork and stem, adding aero bars, and putting FFC seatpost on (ran out of time to put seat on for now). I like it, and unless there's a good reason (technically, not aesthetically) not to, I'm gonna change out the crankset, take the headtube races out and and get going on it.

Either way, it's a looker, and it's so fun to ride. This is my first attempt at attaching pics to a post so let me know if it didn't work. Let the games begin!

1.jpeg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hot! but from a strictly aesthetic perspective a significant amount of hotness is lost without the original fork. Of course one must go with performance; but well done on that head-turning acquisition!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    ...from a strictly aesthetic perspective a significant amount of hotness is lost without the original fork
    Is the loss of hotness the loss of matching flames or simply the loss of the stock threaded setup? Cause I know the guy that did the paint job, and was thinking of having the fork painted to match if I go through with this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    imo it'll look cooler with a straight fork. I don't blame you for the threadless conversion. Only use the FF seatpost if your fit relative to the BB demands it.

And I'm pretty sure the Rolfs are more aerodynamic than the Mavics. Either way, Foils were always kinda cool in my book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is the loss of hotness the loss of matching flames or simply the loss of the stock threaded setup? Cause I know the guy that did the paint job, and was thinking of having the fork painted to match if I go through with this.

I find the flame motif on the original fork to be particularly well executed... it really ties in nicely with the frame. Also, I generally like chrome attachments on older bikes, but that frame might look equally striking with black anodized components matched with tape (or hoods) and saddle that play nicely with the paint job.

Again, nice score as it looks like it's just fun to ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Rolfs are more aerodynamic than the Mavics.
    I agree... but since the bearings were going on the Rolfs (or would be eventually anyways), and since Rolf went out of business and the replacement company (Rolf Prima) isn't making parts for the old Rolf wheels, I was limited to aftermarket parts, which for that wheelset seemed a bit sub-par. What would really make this baby pop would be a set of HED3s. But at that point I might as well look at a real tri bike.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbulmann View Post
    I agree... but since the bearings were going on the Rolfs (or would be eventually anyways), and since Rolf went out of business and the replacement company (Rolf Prima) isn't making parts for the old Rolf wheels, I was limited to aftermarket parts, which for that wheelset seemed a bit sub-par. What would really make this baby pop would be a set of HED3s. But at that point I might as well look at a real tri bike.
    What are you talking about? Rolf never actually made the bearings (which aren't even worn out yet?) for those hubs, they bought them. You can replace all the bearings in both hubs for less than $40.00. Why on earth would you think you'd need to get them from Rolf? They're just normal cartridge bearings.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

is riding in MOPP4
    I'm with Ventruck...straight blades would look better, but if the original stem length fits you, I'd keep it and the original fork. The Profile Design stuff looks okay, but it really does take away a bit of its appeal. Also, aren't the Rolf's better than the Ksyriums? Either way, the Rolf's are likely to be better for tri's.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    What are you talking about? Rolf never actually made the bearings (which aren't even worn out yet?) for those hubs, they bought them. You can replace all the bearings in both hubs for less than $40.00. Why on earth would you think you'd need to get them from Rolf? They're just normal cartridge bearings.
    There are several posts on this, including one in which I asked about a comparison of the two wheelsets and was given the same answer, that since Rolf closed there is no support and limited parts. You are the first to report otherwise, and I did find stainless bearings for these wheels but not standard ones, and either way the rear one was worn and I sold the wheelset already. Maybe I can buy it back down the road, I liked how the colors matched the flames better than the bright red and white of the Ksyriums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    I'm with Ventruck...straight blades would look better, but if the original stem length fits you, I'd keep it and the original fork. The Profile Design stuff looks okay, but it really does take away a bit of its appeal.
    The original stem length was too short when moving the seat forward for a more aero position, but that part could always be changed out if I really wanted to stay with threaded. I won't be sticking with the clipons, I'll be converting to actual tri bars and using those Bontrager drops & brifters on a different bike, so maybe it won't be so unappealing. Hopefully. I'm also leaning toward having the replacement threadless fork painted to match, and covering any PD logos. I never liked riding a bike that feels like a billboard on wheels. Specialized is even worse.