Yikes-Beyer's Dogma2 frame failure causes crash!
    Daft Punk built my hotrod

Exclamation Yikes-Beyer's Dogma2 frame failure causes crash!

Holy crap. Check out the pics. Competitive Cyclist's Chad Beyer crashed heavily on a practice ride today getting ready for the first stage of the Tour of Utah.

Scroll through the pics. Apparently it was a "mechanical failure" that caused the frame to fail. There is a picture of the crash itself.

Beyer was rushed to the hospital.

Photo Gallery :: 6-day Tour of Utah starts Tuesday :: The Salt Lake Tribune

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    "a mechanical failure that caused his frame to fail" WTF???!!!

reminds me a story from motor racing - driver said his car stopped due to 'electrical failure' in that a con-rod broke, sent a piston through the side of the block and knocked off the alternator.

Happily absent RBR Member
    Looks like his front wheel fell out (or something) and he went into the ground. You can see the bare wheel bouncing up the road with the QR in place but no part of fork attached.

I'd bet the frame isn't at fault.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    That will teach him riding counterfeit chinese knockoffs.

Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Looks like his front wheel fell out (or something) and he went into the ground. You can see the bare wheel bouncing up the road with the QR in place but no part of fork attached.

Good eye. Maybe they QR wasn't tightened down well. It looked to be a very bad crash from the photo of the mechanic carrying the pieces of the frame.

Excuses are for the weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post

Oh wait...
    Your comment, given the fact that this cyclist is seriously hurt and has been rushed to hospital is both tasteless and utterly offensive. I'm sure I speak for all in saying that your remarks have no place on this forum.

Think before you write, next time...
    It never gets easier - you just go faster
    2007 Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzzy004 View Post
    Your comment, given the fact that this cyclist is seriously hurt and has been rushed to hospital is both tasteless and utterly offensive. I'm sure I speak for all in saying that your remarks have no place on this forum.

Wow... Hopefully he wasn't too seriously hurt.

Happily absent RBR Member

I thought it was mildly amusing satire. It isn't like the comment had anything to actually do with the victim. People on this forum are often much more directly offensive than this.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

Beyer apparently landed on his face and required, 60 stitches. That's a pretty terrible crash.

Hopefully he will recover quickly. I wonder what happened. Seems strange that they would forget to lock the wheel in place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Agreed, it's very strange to see a wheel all by itself. If the fork broke part of it would be attached to the wheel.

Maybe the shaft of the quick release broke? Lots of guys use ti quick releases and push way too hard on them.

Hopefully the rider makes a full recovery, stitches on your face are horrible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I'm pretty sure his comment had nothing to do with wishing Beyer ill, but was more a funny commentary on the constant fake Pinarello threads posted on this board - which do look like just like the bike in the photos.
    That was exactly that.

This is what I read in the picture of the crash :
    (Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune) The Competitive Cyclist team had a mishap in Monday's morning practice ride. Rider Chad Beyer (foreground) had a mechanical failure that caused his frame to fail, and he hit the pavement with team mate Max Jenkins. Beyer was rushed to Ogden Regional Medical Center. The team added a rider to replace Beyer as it preps for the Tour of Utah in Ogden, Monday, August 6, 2012.

I genuinely think the Salt Lake Tribune would have put a report about the rider's condition if it was serious.

I guess some people are just too sensitive...I won't comment further on the words used by Juzzy0004.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The thread title is kind of misleading, and potentially damaging to Pinarello no? Especially if it was an issue with the wheel/qr.

Hopefully the rider is ok and recovers quickly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    After spending a lot of money on a new Pinarello, he's a little sensitive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Is that comment directed at me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    No. Juzzy004. Sorry. I should have been clearer and I meant that to him tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stanseven View Post
    After spending a lot of money on a new Pinarello, he's a little sensitive
    Why would spending good money on a great bike make a person sensitive? Think you're talking through your hat there, Stan...

The fact that I have the same bike makes no difference to this situation at all. It's simply bad form to make fun of another persons misfortune, regardless of whether it's tongue-in-cheek, satire humor or whatever else - period.

None of you blokes would like someone taking the piss out of you if you had a serious crash.

If anyone knows Pinarello frames, the ones in the pictures look nothing like the Chinese knock-offs that are floating these forums.
    2007 Look 585

Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    The thread title is kind of misleading, and potentially damaging to Pinarello no? Especially if it was an issue with the wheel/qr.

Hopefully the rider is ok and recovers quickly.
    The thread title was taken from the article. You can quibble with them if you'd like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post

Oh wait...
    lol rep added. That was comedy.

Sorry to hear about the rider.

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Deleted...
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Apparently, he's had to undergo at least 60 stitches to lacerations on his face after falling head first into the bitumen.

No one likes hearing, reading about, or even worse still, seeing a fellow rider get hurt participating as a cyclist. Then you read stupid comments from a#%hats that obviously have no idea what a Pinarello even looks like, or can't help dribbling #%@$
    "Lighten up Francis!"

I know what a Pinarello looks like that's why I ride Colnago! I don't know who the pisan was that designed the latest, goofy, curvy frames for Pinarello, but he must have been on ludes or smoking their lunch!!

Hope the rider recovers quickly...
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Why would spending good money on a great bike make a person sensitive? Think you're talking through your hat there, Stan...

The fact that I have the same bike makes no difference to this situation at all. It's simply bad form to make fun of another persons misfortune, regardless of whether it's tongue-in-cheek, satire humor or whatever else - period.

None of you blokes would like someone taking the piss out of you if you had a serious crash.

If anyone knows Pinarello frames, the ones in the pictures look nothing like the Chinese knock-offs that are floating these forums.
    We all know this isn't a chinese knockoff. This is the reason my post shouldn't have been taken seriously. I'm not fluent in english but I thought it was obvious.

Now relax a little. And judging from your posts full of hate, you are not in a position to give lessons about respect.

The only thing I 'hate' is missing a ride due to bad weather...

Just be extra careful with those Tiawanese carbon wheels. Wouldn't like to read that you've come off your bike.
    2007 Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Dont be upset that your hyper expensive bike breaks just like the "cheap" asian stuff ;)

'Hyper Expensive'??? Let me guess - Gen Y phrase that no one else understands?!
    2007 Look 585

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Indeed, looks like the front wheel took off, clearly if that happened then the fork would hit the floor hard and then probably cause the frame to crack in that way.

Anything can break BTW, Chinese, Taiwanese, Congolese,Italian or Abzerbaijani. no need to fight over it.

And about the Pinas real or copies I just don't like the aesthetics. that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.