BMC Racemachine Frame Review
    Forever a Student

Thumbs down BMC Racemachine Frame Review

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    that is horrible, i am very close to picking up a roadmachine 01 and this makes me pause

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by systemr View Post
    that is horrible, i am very close to picking up a roadmachine 01 and this makes me pause
    The only bit of comfort I can give you is that BMC uses different factories and that the Roadmachine is a newer product.

After watching and talking to carbon repair people for years (Predator, Calfee, Spyder, this guy), one thing that's obvious is that things are improving. Almost all carbon bikes from 5 years ago look like trash on the inside. Today they have much better techniques, but it's a matter if the factory employs them or not.

Is BMC still making really terrible product like shown in the video above? Does all of their new stuff look like this on the inside? All I can say is hope not.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I'm afraid to search for the video of the Team Machine now. My TM is pretty new so hoping (blindly) that some of the issues were cleaned up. Thanks for sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    He hasn't cut up a teammachine, so I don't think that video exists.

That frame is several years old. I'm sure if there were serious integrity issues with frames like this we would hear about them here and other places.

I have about 20,000 hard miles on a 2014 GF-01. I'm 6' 5" and weighed nearly 300 lbs when I bought it (worked my way down to about 230lbs in the process).

If that frame were going to fail, it likely would have by now.

Maybe when I decide to retire it, I'll send it to him to cut up and video, just to see how poorly made it was.

Forever a Student
    He hasn't made too many cut up videos in general. He plans to, has a real long list of bikes already cut up or ready to be cut right there. I think he said that next (after the SuperSix Evo) would be a Chinarello Dogpile.

I eagerly await all of them, I think it's good information.

Metal bikes all look quite similar on the inside, but carbon laminate bikes are wildly different. I'd love to have my carbon bikes scanned for peace of mind and general knowledge. And once retired I'd like to have them cut up and shown too. His SuperSix video made me feel okay about my Cannondale. I'd love to see Canyon and Giant and hell... I want to see them all cut up.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    He hasn't made too many cut up videos in general. He plans to, has a real long list of bikes already cut up or ready to be cut right there. I think he said that next (after the SuperSix Evo) would be a Chinarello Dogpile.

I eagerly await all of them, I think it's good information.

Metal bikes all look quite similar on the inside, but carbon laminate bikes are wildly different. I'd love to have my carbon bikes scanned for peace of mind and general knowledge. And once retired I'd like to have them cut up and shown too. His SuperSix video made me feel okay about my Cannondale. I'd love to see Canyon and Giant and hell... I want to see them all cut up.
    amazing,, and that thinning of material within the first inch or two of the bottom bracket, and then thickening further up the tube is quite counterproductive to ride quality..

In contrast my old Cannondale had "triple butted tubing", achieving strength near the tube junctions and thinner tubing near the mid length of the tubing?? theoretically allowing a little "flex"..

again, thank you for posting, what many of us have suspected of our carbon frames for some time??

MMs, did anybody's cutaway come out looking "exemplary" on the inside?? this was the first video I had watched, I love the BMC shape,,, but those seat stays with the kitty hair at the top juncture??? scary