BMC Roadmachine! - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by megladon View Post
    I have a 2018 RM 02 but was just curious what is needed to use the integrated stem from either the new 2019 RM 02 or 2018 RM 01

A friend of mine said the only way to do it is to use the whole fork of the 01 on the 02, but if thatís the only way Iím not gonna bother lol maybe just purchase another stem that will fit the 02.

Any thoughts?
    2019 02 frames come with a new ICStem that can be put on pre-2019 02 frames as well. This stem is actually very similar to the old ICStem for 01 frames, but my LBS told me the internals are a bit different to prevent creaking with round-steerer fork. So yeah, it looks like you can retrofit just the stem and the appropriate carbon top cone to your 2018 RM 02. Note that you still won't have full internal cable routing. For that, you'll need the ICFork as well. Please double check this with your LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Hi xterrastrial,

I have recently purchased a RoadMachine 02 2019, and after one week I started to get creaks around the stem region every time I lean my weight on either sides of the handlebar (e.g. out of saddle on climbs or sprinting or starting from a stand position). I checked the front thru axle, the stem bolts, the pins on the 1 spacer I use, greased and torqued everything and the two bolts of the stem clamp to spec (5Nm), still with no result. Did you find a fix? As grease I use Muc-off BioGrease. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as the creaks are driving me crazy ((

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Hi George - I feel your pain. I *may* have finally come across a solution. My RM01 has been creak free for 2-3 weeks now ... longest time ever. The fix was one of two things the LBS did recently.

1) I noticed that the o ring was missing inside the bmc headset cone. I had the low version put on pretty soon after I got the bike (they all come stock with the high version). Not sure if it ever had the o ring in the groove, or if it got lost during a rebuild with the new frameset that bmc sent me trying to fix the problem last winter.

2) the other thing the mechanic did was apply a grease (need to confirm what kind) in the contact points of the puzzle piece stem face plate. Just between the stem parts, not touching the bars.

Other than that, he used grease for bolts and friction paste for contact points between bars and stem ... but I had been doing that for well over a year.

Do a quick check for the o ring in the groove inside the headset cone, then try grease in the puzzle piece. And when tightening the stem face plate bolts with the torque wrench, go slow and alternate between the two a little at a time to get both to a proper 5Nn (you might be already doing this).

Let me know how that goes.

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    If my frame has just the cover do I need a special BMC grommet to put RS910 junction box in frame cut out? I see two screws and a hole cut out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Hey guys! I'm a happy owner of a used (new to me) Roadmachine 02. I was wondering if BMC offers a 0 offset seatpost for the Roadmachine. I read somewhere that they do but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurk700 View Post
    Hey guys! I'm a happy owner of a used (new to me) Roadmachine 02. I was wondering if BMC offers a 0 offset seatpost for the Roadmachine. I read somewhere that they do but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like the bike is a bit on the large side, yeah? I have my Prologo seat almost all the way forward on its rails with the standard post on a bike that is on the larger end of my range. Plus is being able to run very little spacers.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gurk700 View Post
    This question can really only be answered definitively by a BMC dealer.

I believe Element Cycles in Redmond WA is a premium (online) dealer for BMC. I've had good luck working with them in the past.

If you are in the US, you might want to drop them an email or call and see if they can answer your question.

Here is their contact page.
    https://www.elementcycles.net/contact/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    has anyone had any trouble with rear hydraulic brake cable getting in the way of bottom bracket? there seems to be only one way to route it and when I do, the cable is definitely sitting where the middle cylinder part of the bottom bracket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    gurk700, the instruction manual says: "The rear brake hydraulic housingwill pass UNDER the bottombracket"
    As far as I remember, I didn't have any problem with routing the brake hose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Indeed. Under it goes..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Guys, I'm thinking of getting some aero bars for my RM01 and I came across this BMC ICS aero combo (developed for the new BMC Timemachine). I like the design of it and the fact that all cables are completely hidden inside. I wonder whether the ICS aero stem fits the roadmachine RM01 frame. I guess it doesn't fit but that's just my guess. Anybody know? Thanks.BMC Roadmachine!-csm_innovation-771x480-ics_aero-bar_d7779521c0.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Based on this link, I'm going to guess they are not the same.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-e...ockpit-system/

They look very similar, but I think where it breaks down is that stem cap shape is different between the Roadmachine/TeamMachine and the new TimeMachine Road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Yes but check this out. The spacers below the aero stem look really similar to those on roadmachine. If spacers are the same then the stem should fit as well i think.BMC Roadmachine!-csm_timemchine_road_771x480_ergon3_1d2cd24277.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I agree that they look 'similar' and even said so in my post above. Whether you could get it to work with your stem cap and steerer is still unknown.

I'd stop by your local BMC dealer and ask them. They build the bikes every day and would likely know....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Hi there,

I'm in the market for a high-end Roadmachine and wondering what you guys would make out of this piece of information. It's from the list of UCI approved frames. Several questions:

1) Out of 43 pages of approved frames, the Roadmachine 1+2 are the only ones (!!!) that have been crossed out. Obviously the Roadmachine once had UCI approval until something happened Ė but what?

2) Has the Roadmachine actually ever been used in Pro racing, like e.g. the Specialized Roubaix?

3) With something called the "Roadmachine 20" having been approved on 14.11.2018, are we in for a major overhaul soon?

Looking forward to your thoughts
    Cheers

BMC Roadmachine!-2019-01-29-18_21_02-liste-des-modeles-de-cadres-et-fourches-homologues-list-approved-models.png
    Last edited by bodyelectric; 01-30-2019 at 02:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm not sure what the current status is. At some point, the seat tube on the RoadMachine was determined to be too thin to meet UCI standards.

I am pretty sure the guys at the LBS told me that the issue had been resolved.

Is that list current?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Is that list current?
    as of today

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I just looked at it and saw that it was still on there. Kind of surprised. It specifically says this applies to RoadMachines that have the UCI sticker (the sentence in French under the lined out listing).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    I researched the topic a little more and found a Danish cycling website that cited violation of article 1.3.020 as the reason. Article 1.3.020 states that "the frame of the bicycle shall be of a traditional pattern, i.e. built around a main triangle" and goes on to explain how the seat tube shall go into the center of the bottom bracket - which the seat tube on the Roadmachine clearly does not ...

BMC Roadmachine!-2019-01-30-11_22_20-bmc-roadmachine-01-two-9.jpg-jpeg-grafik-1600%A0%D7%A01067-pixel-.jpg

Well, I couldn't care less about the UCI's preoccupation w/ preserving the traditional look of bikes, but I don't like the fact that BMC cannot prove their design by actually racing their bikes on the cobbled classics like e.g. Paris-Roubaix.

And lastly I'm really surprised that nobody is jumping on the Roadmachine 2.0 leak. I for one am definitely not going to buy a bike that will probably be replaced at the end of the season.
    Last edited by bodyelectric; 01-30-2019 at 04:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    What roadmachine 2.0 leak are you talking about? Have a link?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    *sigh*

(Have a close look at what Dimension Data will ride on 14th April)
    Last edited by bodyelectric; 02-02-2019 at 03:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I asked BMC about the compatibility of the ICS aero stem/bars and roadmachine RM01 frame and to my surprise they answered that it is compatible.

This is what they actually wrote:
    "Yes it's possible to mount the ICS Aero Handlebar and Aero Stem (ICS Aero Bar - Compatible with ICS Aero stem only) on your Roadmachine 01, assuming you already have the ICS stem."
    Last edited by Rasto; 02-08-2019 at 02:52 AM. Reason: correct a mistake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    RM01 or 2?

I've been saving for about a year and have been test riding, researching, etc... I've narrowed my purchase down to two models of the BMC roadmachine that are within my budget.
    My budget is right at $4000 which (barring finding a great deal on a used RM01) between two models.
    RM01 FOUR 2018 $4239 https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-e...chine-01/four/
    RM02 TWO 2019 $3999 https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-e...achine-02-two/
    Both have mechanical Ultegra. I would really like to go with the RM01 to keep the weight down in the long run but I'm not in love with the blue/grey paint scheme. It has the integrated cockpit which is cool.
    The RM02 airforce grey appeals to me much more but I would take a 180 gram penalty due to the lower grade carbon compared to the 01.
    My long term plan is to replace the wheelset on either choice so wheels are not really a factor in my decision. I may one day want to go with Di2 and either frame is ready for that already. I would be more excited to invest in Di2 on the 01 frame since it's a higher quality carbon layup vs. the 02.
    So do I go with the better looking (to me) and slightly heavier bike or do I spend a few extra hundred to get into the RM01 frameset even though I don't dig the paint job so much?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    With the Roadmachine 2.0 on the horizon I wouldn't buy into an outdated frame design.
    Last edited by bodyelectric; 02-08-2019 at 04:53 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyelectric View Post
    *sigh*

(Have a close look at what Dimension Data will ride on 14th April)
    Can't find anything on this. I call bogus.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast