Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by megladon View Post
    I have a 2018 RM 02 but was just curious what is needed to use the integrated stem from either the new 2019 RM 02 or 2018 RM 01

A friend of mine said the only way to do it is to use the whole fork of the 01 on the 02, but if thatís the only way Iím not gonna bother lol maybe just purchase another stem that will fit the 02.

Any thoughts?
    2019 02 frames come with a new ICStem that can be put on pre-2019 02 frames as well. This stem is actually very similar to the old ICStem for 01 frames, but my LBS told me the internals are a bit different to prevent creaking with round-steerer fork. So yeah, it looks like you can retrofit just the stem and the appropriate carbon top cone to your 2018 RM 02. Note that you still won't have full internal cable routing. For that, you'll need the ICFork as well. Please double check this with your LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Hi xterrastrial,

I have recently purchased a RoadMachine 02 2019, and after one week I started to get creaks around the stem region every time I lean my weight on either sides of the handlebar (e.g. out of saddle on climbs or sprinting or starting from a stand position). I checked the front thru axle, the stem bolts, the pins on the 1 spacer I use, greased and torqued everything and the two bolts of the stem clamp to spec (5Nm), still with no result. Did you find a fix? As grease I use Muc-off BioGrease. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as the creaks are driving me crazy ((

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Hi George - I feel your pain. I *may* have finally come across a solution. My RM01 has been creak free for 2-3 weeks now ... longest time ever. The fix was one of two things the LBS did recently.

1) I noticed that the o ring was missing inside the bmc headset cone. I had the low version put on pretty soon after I got the bike (they all come stock with the high version). Not sure if it ever had the o ring in the groove, or if it got lost during a rebuild with the new frameset that bmc sent me trying to fix the problem last winter.

2) the other thing the mechanic did was apply a grease (need to confirm what kind) in the contact points of the puzzle piece stem face plate. Just between the stem parts, not touching the bars.

Other than that, he used grease for bolts and friction paste for contact points between bars and stem ... but I had been doing that for well over a year.

Do a quick check for the o ring in the groove inside the headset cone, then try grease in the puzzle piece. And when tightening the stem face plate bolts with the torque wrench, go slow and alternate between the two a little at a time to get both to a proper 5Nn (you might be already doing this).

Let me know how that goes.

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    If my frame has just the cover do I need a special BMC grommet to put RS910 junction box in frame cut out? I see two screws and a hole cut out.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314