BMC Roadmachine! - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that they did in fact change something about the fork blades?

The only other thing I could think of is warped rotor, or if your fit is somehow in the extreme then weight distribution.
    The article I linked details the changes to the fork. Thinner, stiffer blades, and asymmetrical design. I have no idea if this was to address the problem I had or not.

My problem was definitely not a warped rotor, as it persisted throughout the life of the bike, across multiple rotor changes (and even switching from 140 to 160 and back).

It was very scary pulsing sort of thing where the front brake would grab and flex the fork to the aft, then release, and repeat (sort of a fast fluttering feel). I got worse (more exaggerated) the longer I applied braking pressure, and didn't stop until I released the front brake lever.

I even had the shop swap a fork out to a spare they had, and the problem still persisted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    The article I linked details the changes to the fork. Thinner, stiffer blades, and asymmetrical design. I have no idea if this was to address the problem I had or not.

My problem was definitely not a warped rotor, as it persisted throughout the life of the bike, across multiple rotor changes (and even switching from 140 to 160 and back).

It was very scary pulsing sort of thing where the front brake would grab and flex the fork to the aft, then release, and repeat (sort of a fast fluttering feel). I got worse (more exaggerated) the longer I applied braking pressure, and didn't stop until I released the front brake lever.

I even had the shop swap a fork out to a spare they had, and the problem still persisted.
    I am riding on a '14 TeamMachine with a big ol gouge in the carbon (chainstay) from chain suck. I'm around your weight and have been beating the blank out of the bike for years now. To me it's been bulletproof, however your experience appears demonstrably different. Bullsh!t on BMC's part for releasing a bike and then "surprise!" a year later revamping everything, these toys are not exactly cheap. Have you reached out to BMC to address? I'd be curious of their response as I am thinking of purchasing another BMC in the future.

Also, I realize they are not as big as some other manufacturers and some portions of the manufacturing process are proprietary, but them releasing all frames with the same STA/HTA geometries is another thing where I am also kind of like "really?".
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I am riding on a '14 TeamMachine with a big ol gouge in the carbon (chainstay) from chain suck. I'm around your weight and have been beating the blank out of the bike for years now. To me it's been bulletproof, however your experience appears demonstrably different. Bullsh!t on BMC's part for releasing a bike and then "surprise!" a year later revamping everything, these toys are not exactly cheap. Have you reached out to BMC to address? I'd be curious of their response as I am thinking of purchasing another BMC in the future.

Also, I realize they are not as big as some other manufacturers and some portions of the manufacturing process are proprietary, but them releasing all frames with the same STA/HTA geometries is another thing where I am also kind of like "really?".
    I could easily reproduce the issue, and went for a ride with the BMC Rep when he was visiting the shop.

He stated he had never seen or heard of this specific problem. It was his suggestion to try a different (new) fork. When we did that and the problem persisted, so he offered by a frame swap, but acknowledged it wouldn't likely resolve the issue. At that point I just decided to move on. I didn't love the 'feel' of the bike anyway. I been riding a Canyon Endurace since I sold my RM-01 and absolutely love the ride and feel. It's perfect for me.

As far as them coming out with a new model, it's just part of the business. The design is 4 years old now, and the old design was determined to be non-UCI compliant (see a few posts above), so it was no secret the bike would either see a complete overhaul or replacement. Who knows, now maybe we'll see Team Dimension Data riding them on the cobbles next year?

FYI, they also have two other non-race bikes coming out for the gravel/adventure market (to compliment the existing RoadMachine X until it is phased out).

Regarding the question about the fork trail and rake. I just did a quick check of the geometry charts, and the new 2020 bike has the same rake and trail as the 2017 Roadmachine (at least if the charts are correct).

Edit: Don't misunderstand. I still love BMC as a brand. I think they do a lot of things right. Some of the cockpit integration stuff is a bit over the top on the high end models, which affects the ability to travel with the bike, but they have lower range models with standard cockpits for that stuff. I do really love the overall engineering and design that goes into them. They aren't making cookie cutter bikes that look just like everyone elses. My first 'nice' carbon bike was a 2014 GranFondo GF-01, and it will forever be my favorite bike (unfortunately I broke the top tube in a nasty incident involving a garage door being closed on it ).
    Last edited by Finx; 06-27-2019 at 01:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I didn't compare the geometry details. I sold my RM01 as well, but it was due to the fork vibration under heavy braking. I hadn't heard anyone else complaining about this (several in my riding group ride RM01s), so it may have been a problem unique to me (I'm a serious Clyde at 6' 5" and 230lbs).
    A friend bought almost the identical bike. He's on the 54cm, I had the 56cm. I never mentioned the cornering characteristics to him but I noticed when i got a new bike he tried to follow my speed around a corner and went off the road. He can't keep the same line on any corner. Not very scientific but I had no confidence with the front end, he doesn't seem to either. I gave the bike a good try with 8,000 miles.
    There was also a recall on my timemachine forks. Little design errors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy996 View Post
    A friend bought almost the identical bike. He's on the 54cm, I had the 56cm. I never mentioned the cornering characteristics to him but I noticed when i got a new bike he tried to follow my speed around a corner and went off the road. He can't keep the same line on any corner. Not very scientific but I had no confidence with the front end, he doesn't seem to either. I gave the bike a good try with 8,000 miles.
    There was also a recall on my timemachine forks. Little design errors.
    I never had any problem descending on mine. In fact almost all of my strava KOM's are descents on that bike. My problem occurred when hard braking to a stop, the brake would catch and cause the fork to shudder front to back until I released it (or stopped completely).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I never had any problem descending on mine. In fact almost all of my strava KOM's are descents on that bike. My problem occurred when hard braking to a stop, the brake would catch and cause the fork to shudder front to back until I released it (or stopped completely).
    Not the same issue but I had a lot of trouble getting the front caliper positioned to prevent drag. The front fork with insert wasn't manufactured quite right, making lining up the caliper difficult. I had to dremel the parts a little. It was never right though and touched easily with lateral flex off the saddle. Something wasn't right down there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy996 View Post
    Not the same issue but I had a lot of trouble getting the front caliper positioned to prevent drag. The front fork with insert wasn't manufactured quite right, making lining up the caliper difficult. I had to dremel the parts a little. It was never right though and touched easily with lateral flex off the saddle. Something wasn't right down there.
    I remember struggling with the front caliper as well. I was able to get it lined up, but ended up using a couple of shim/spacers from McMaster-Carr to get the rotor centered in the caliper...

Here is the thread discussing it. There were two of us with road machines who used this solution.
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...rs-360342.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2019
    Will a 2018 rm01 ics fork be retrofitted on a 2019 rm02?? I had a good deal with my lbs for a rm02 three (free upgrade to di2) and planning to buy a 2018 rm01 fork to keep everything neat as i did save a

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516