BMC Roadmachine! - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    The integrate Garmin mounts are not available for any Roadmachine. That's straight from BMC. No ETA as of a month or so ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Ok RBR,

I'm ready to order by Roadmachine, but can't decide on which route to go.

I know colors are subjective, but I'm interested in everyones opinions on my two options.

Option 1 is to go the same route at Boogermin did and build up the frameset.

This is the "Team" red colorway. I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other, but I don't love that bright white BMC logo on the downtube. I'd be building this up with Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailleurs, and a DA9070 crankset.

Stock photo from BMC

Boogermin's build from his post above

The alternative is to just buy an already built Ultegra Di2 in the Orange and Black colorway. I don't love or hate this either, although other than the videos posted in the "Quiver Killer" thread, I've never seen this bike in motion, and have never seen one in person (none of my LBS's stock it for some reason).

A minor advantage to going this route is, the cost of the bike build is factored into the bikes cost. Wheras the team build, I'd probably be building it myself or paying for the bike build service at the shop ($300 I think). I don't mind doing it myself, but if I can get them to do it for free, why not? ~

Stock photo from BMC

Cost is not an issue. Depending on a few variables, there could be a cost savings of a couple of hundred dollars either way. In the long run it's not enough to sway my decision.

I keep going back and forth on this. I don't hate the orange, but having never seen it in person, it's a little scary comitting to it. I've talked to a couple of folks who have seen them in person and they didn't like them, but, this is a subjective thing.

So, it just comes down to color.

BTW, if it matters, mine will be the largest size - 61cm

What say you RBR? Lets hear your subjective opinions. Team Red? or Orange Black?
    Last edited by Migen21; 11-18-2016 at 09:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Black, red and white are the classic BMC colors. If it were me that's what I'd go for. It's like Bianchi with celeste.

I will say from personal experience, orange is not a color that lasts long in bar tape. It shows dirt almost as badly as white. If you are anything like me you're going to swap that out for black. Try to think of the orange model with black tape instead of the stock orange and factor that into your decision

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Black, red and white are the classic BMC colors. If it were me that's what I'd go for. It's like Bianchi with celeste.

I will say from personal experience, orange is not a color that lasts long in bar tape. It shows dirt almost as badly as white. If you are anything like me you're going to swap that out for black. Try to think of the orange model with black tape instead of the stock orange and factor that into your decision
    This is pretty much in line with what I'm thinking.

The bar tape thing doesn't worry me too much. I would put black on the top half above the hoods, and orange below, just to give it a little more color.

I actually think my eye prefers the color scheme of the orange/black, but the black/red/white is kinda the default for a BMC, and it's their Team bike colors again this year. That's currently where I'm leaning (it's also slightly less expensive to go this way, as I already have a DA Crank and PM to use - so the Ultegra would get pulled off the orange).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    @Migen21, my vote is for the orange and black. It's different enough to pack a little style, which many BMC bikes have been lacking. But if your heart is set on running the Enve wheels, the frameset makes more sense from a financial standpoint I guess. It's still close though and I like the look of the black and orange quite a bit more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer the black and red. I know that is what we are all used to seeing, but I still love looking at mine. What would worry me is not seeing the orange/black in person. Hate to see you order it and get it out in the sun and say yuck. I think it looks good though. If you could see both it would definitely make this easier. Good luck and congrats on the pending order, that is an exciting time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    It turns out the orange/black Ultegra Di2 is not going to be available until Feb. The 61cm "Team" frameset is sitting on a shelf in the stock room..

I'll be picking up the frameset tomorrow.

I won't be able to build it up until the wheels arrive (two weeks or so).

That'll give me time to get the rest of the components ready.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Drive-side chainstay clearance ok?

Quote Originally Posted by boogermin View Post
    Attachment 316745Here's my new ride. Bought the frame set and built it up with Dura Ace 9070 and Enve SES 4.5ARs on 28mm GP4000SII's. So far, so good.
    I just got the RM01 Ultegra and am also looking at the 4.5AR's. In the stock setup, it looks like the gap between the tire and drive-side chain stay is the tightest spot for tire clearance. Any issues with your setup? How much space do you have there?

Thx!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Do your homework on these Enve 4.5ARs. They are not standard dimensions and have a very limited tire selection. They require a non beaded tubeless compatible tire (i.e. Shwalbe), and the tires are impossible to mount without tire levers, and even then it's *really* hard to get them over the rims.

I also have a RM01 in Team Red, and have it set up with Enve 3.4 SES Disc. Just for kicks, I put some 32mm Clement Strada USH inflated to 60psi. I'm hoping to use this tire for a dedicated gravel setup. This was a tad too close to the drive side chainstay for my liking. I think it was partly due to the fact that the tires were freshly mounted and not fully seated in the bead tracks (I didn't notice this until I was pulling the tires off).

My current setup is with 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, which will be my all around all weather tire. There is plenty of clearance all around with this tire on the 3.4 SES Disc.

I'm still waiting for a rear brake caliper and a 12x100 thru axle adapter (for DT240S Centerlock) to finish the build. Once it's done, I'll post some pictures and perhaps a first ride impression, assuming we get some decent weather before spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Do your homework on this Enve 4.5ARs. They are not standard dimensions and have a very limited tire selection. They require a non beaded tubeless compatible tire (i.e. Shwalbe), and the tires are impossible to mount without tire levers, and even then it's *really* hard to get them over the rims.

I also have a RM01, and have it set up with 3.4 SES Disc. Just for kicks, I put some 32mm Clement Strada USH inflated to 60psi. I'm hoping to use this tire for a dedicated gravel setup. This was a tad too close to the chainstay for my liking. I think it was partly due to the fact that the tires were freshly mounted and not fully seated in the bead tracks (I didnt notice this until I was pulling the tires off).

My current setup is with 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, which will be my all around all weather tire. There is plenty of clearance all around with this tire on the 3.4 SES Disc.

I'm still waiting for a rear brake caliper to finish the build. Once it's done, I'll post some pictures and perhaps a first ride impression, assuming we get some decent weather before spring.
    Thanks for the feedback. I saw on Enve's support site you need a min of 40mm between the chain stays for the AR's, which is exactly what it measures on my RM01 (58cm FWIW). That said, the clearance is not symmetrical, with noticeably less on the drive side.

I'm thinking the 4.5AR's might not be the right fit for me. Will probably go for the 5.6 disc instead and use trusty GP4KsII's

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrastrial View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I saw on Enve's support site you need a min of 40mm between the chain stays for the AR's, which is exactly what it measures on my RM01 (58cm FWIW). That said, the clearance is not symmetrical, with noticeably less on the drive side.

I'm thinking the 4.5AR's might not be the right fit for me. Will probably go for the 5.6 disc instead and use trusty GP4KsII's

cheers
    No issues with clearance/rubbing/etc with the AR4.5s on my RM01. Running 28mm Conti GP4000SIIs FWIW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Thx for the feedback. I've gone with the Enve 5.6's. They are on their way. Sounds like the 4.5AR's might have worked despite the Enve requirements. I'm sure I'll like the 5.6 any way. :-)

Cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I finally finished by RM-01 build.

BMC RoadMachine RM-01 61cm Frameset ("Team Red" Colorway)
    Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 derailleurs (GS for rear)
    Shimano R785 Shifters
    Dura Ace Crankset (50/34 175mm)
    Ultegra 11sp 11-32 Cassette
    Shimano BR-RS805 brake calipers/Shimano RT-99 Rotors (140R/160F)
    Enve 3.4 SES Disc Wheels with DT-240S Centerlock Hubs (High Engagement Freehub)
    Continental Gran Prix 4000s II 28 Tires (will probably swap to Schwalbe Strada USH 32's or Conti 4 Season 28s for the winter).
    Enve 44cm Handlebar
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle
    Speedplay Zero Cro-Moly Pedals (will swap to the Speedplay Pave at some point)

Here are a few preliminary pictures. The weather has been too crappy to be outside, but we are expecting a little sun this week. I'll try to get some better pictures and post them.

These are primarily aimed at the cable routing/stem and seat post, as I had recieved some PM requests for close up pictures of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nice build man! It looks like you are ready to get out there and put in some work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I finally finished by RM-01 build.

BMC RoadMachine RM-01 61cm Frameset ("Team Red" Colorway)
    Shimano Ultegra Di2 6870 derailleurs (GS for rear)
    Shimano R785 Shifters
    Dura Ace Crankset (50/34 175mm)
    Ultegra 11sp 11-32 Cassette
    Shimano BR-RS805 brake calipers/Shimano RT-99 Rotors (140R/160F)
    Enve 3.4 SES Disc Wheels with DT-240S Centerlock Hubs (High Engagement Freehub)
    Continental Gran Prix 4000s II 28 Tires (will probably swap to Schwalbe Strada USH 32's or Conti 4 Season 28s for the winter).
    Enve 44cm Handlebar
    Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle
    Speedplay Zero Cro-Moly Pedals (will swap to the Speedplay Pave at some point)
    Very nice Bike!
    I just ordered mine in black-orange in size 61... actual weight 7,55kg or 16,65lbs (w/o pedals). I wonder to know the final weight of your version. Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Hey Pons,

I don't have a scale to weigh it on. Next time I'm at the shop, if I remember I'll ask them to weigh it for me.

Honestly, I gave zero consideration to weight when building the bike. None. I didn't even research the weight of the bike before I bought it.

Being 6'5" (195cm) and 225lbs (102kg), a few grams of weight on a 61cm bike is not going to make a lot of difference.

Other than a short spin around the parking lot, I still haven't even ridden it. It's been really crappy weather. Either heavy, cold rain, or temps in the teens. Neither of those are conducive to a nice 'get to know you' shakedown ride. Especially considering it was my first time building a bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

I'll take it for a long ride on the next decently warm (above 40f) dry day. The way things are going, it might be March though.

Edit: I almost ordered the Orange/Black ultegra bike. I considered that vs the Team Red frameset. I was kinda torn on the color choices. Unfortunately, the BMC rep told me that there were not black/orange Ultegra Di2 bikes available until early 2017, and my money was burning a hole in my pocket. So I went with the frameset option.

I'm really curious about how yours looks. Please post some pictures of it in natural lighting when you get it. I'm also interested in your impressions of the stock wheels.
    Last edited by Migen21; 12-14-2016 at 07:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Smile

I'm really curious about how yours looks. Please post some pictures of it in natural lighting when you get it. I'm also interested in your impressions of the stock wheels.
    I had a chance to have two test bikes in size 58 and 61 with me at home for 5 days, I really enjoyed this test phase. The bike is great in every situation, I set my new PR up and downhill!

About the stock wheels... I'm not such a big expert, what I can say is that in comparison to the alluminuim DT Swiss R32 tested on the non-Di2 Roadmachine 01, the 3T roll very well, also on climbs, making the bike more reactive. They also look very nice in the carbon-stealth finish, they only could have been a little more aero (40mm instead 32mm).

Here some real pics of the bike, I really like the orange-black contrast, making it very original with a fresh style:

IMG_2997.jpgIMG_2937.jpgIMG_2943.jpgIMG_2938.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    That orange looks really nice in natural light. I think I actually like it better than the Team Red...

I was at the shop and weighed my bike today. Ready to ride, including pedals (no bottle cages) and 28mm tires, it came in at 17.75 lbs (8.0kg). It's the largest size available (61cm) and is built with a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2 components.

Here are a few pictures of the bike in natural light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Red face

New colorscheme for 2017 RM1:
    - Team Red (matte) IMG_0491.jpg
    - Grey IMG_0493.jpg
    - Blue (matte) waiting for an official picture

Comes form Velofollies Belgium ... Team will officially rides it on spring classics (cobbles)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Hello, I am thinking of ordering a Roadmachine01 and just saw the photos of the red frameset. So I have got 2 questions: 1.) does anybody know the reason why BMC added a cover / protection plate (or whatever it is) in the area where the seatpost is inserted into the Frame? If so, will it come with new models only? 2.) Does anybody have Problems with slipping seatposts on their roadmachines? Thank you guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleCAD3 View Post
    Hello, I am thinking of ordering a Roadmachine01 and just saw the photos of the red frameset. So I have got 2 questions: 1.) does anybody know the reason why BMC added a cover / protection plate (or whatever it is) in the area where the seatpost is inserted into the Frame? If so, will it come with new models only? 2.) Does anybody have Problems with slipping seatposts on their roadmachines? Thank you guys!
    Hi
    I just saw this plastic cover on a RM01 in a shop (see pic), I suppose the old little piece (round) was easy to lose. I saw it on a "old" color scheme model.
    Second, I must say that the seatpost is a bit slippy, you have to close it a bit more than recommended, then it is OK.

IMG_8912.JPG
    I

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Hello Pons, thank you very much for your answer! This helps a lot in my decision.
    It seems there was no major change to the frame, but only to the cover / protection
    around the seatpost and the seatpost bolt.
    Great photo, exactly what I wanted to see! ;-)

Anyone else who noticed the seatpost slipping in when tightened with the recommended
    torque? I just want to figure out if it is a problem with this bike, as I read several test reports
    and 2 of those said that the seatpost is slipping in. I already tested one bike before I knew
    anything about the seatpost and the seatpost on the testbike did not perform well….
    ( my weight is 80 kgs, which should be still ok for this bike) Thank you guys!

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Pons View Post
    Second, I must say that the seatpost is a bit slippy, you have to close it a bit more than recommended, then it is OK.
    No, this does not make it OK, this is VERY bad.

You don't over-tighten a seatpost clamp to stop the seatpost from slipping, you remove the post, clean it, and apply a generous amount of thick carbon assembly paste. You then re-install it and use NO MORE than the recommended torque setting. The recommended setting is a MAX, it's not like a speed limit on the roads you can just disobey or go over all the time. Don't be stupid, don't do what's quoted above, never go over a recommend torque spec for any reason.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    My seatpost slipped down on my first ride. It was more of a migration over an hour and a half. It was down about 3mm at the end of the ride.

It had been installed exactly to spec torque with carbon paste.

I took it into the shop where I bought it and they re-installed it with fresh carbon paste and an allen key (no torque wrench), probably a little more torque that spec'd.

I have only had it out for one short 20 mile ride since then and it was fine.

I suspect I will end up warrantying the frame with them due to this. It's kind of a bummer. I really like the black/red color scheme.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Migen21, this is very sad story....hope you get it replaced under warranty.did you try montage paste? This is exactly why i am interested in the seatpost / seatpost clamp issue. I thought there were done any changes to the seatpost clamp as I saw the pictures of the red frame. Anyone else having this problem?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast