BMC Roadmachine! - Page 4
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    Does anyone know the link to the weight limit of the BMC RoadMachine? This thread plus the "Quiver Killer" thread makes me seriously think of putting this bike on the short list. I know Im overweight right now but this bikes aesthetics alone makes me want to get out there and ride!!! Now, its time for me to look at a good pair of wheels to accompany this bike and make this whole thing work!
    Nope, but I use the 240lb mark as a rule of thumb.

I too am having a hard time keeping this off of a buying list, love the geometry, especially of the fendered one.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I don't think BMC publishes a max weight limit ( I could be wrong).

I rode a BMC GF-01 for 2 years starting at 270lbs down to 220 lbs with no issues. I had a set of Chris King/HED Belgium Plus 32 spoke wheels and they worked flawlessly also.

My experience with the GF-01 contributed largely to my decision to stay with the brand when I upgraded to the RM 01.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forever a Student

New Color

use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I rode a BMC GF-01 for 2 years starting at 270lbs down to 220 lbs with no issues. I had a set of Chris King/HED Belgium Plus 32 spoke wheels and they worked flawlessly also.

My experience with the GF-01 contributed largely to my decision to stay with the brand when I upgraded to the RM 01.
    Migen21... with your and some senior forum members assessment of the bike... Im seriously considering of taking this route. I did want to ask you a quick question (without derailing this topic) about the HED Plus 32 rims with Chris Kings? Im looking at the same exact spec but what price point am I looking at? If I view it from wheelbuilder.com it looks like its going to be another $1200 to get the pair of wheels.

But in regards to this bike, I am probably going to get the RM01 with Ultegra DI2 (Orange on Black). Even though Im not very fond of having the primary color as black (Im more of a hi-vis color friendly type of guy.) I wish there was a way to purchase the green frameset and build it with DI2 Ultegra?!?!

It is more expensive than the Domane I was leaning towards but the BMC really looks like a sexy machine and it definitely checks all the boxes! If I can preempt my purchase with a new wheelset with 30s/32s before I start with the bike then I think it would be a win-win for myself.

Last question is: The articles state that the mfg max is 30 but has anyone else tried 32s or higher?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I got my HED/King wheels through my LBS, where I buy my bikes, and got them at a substantial discount - This was three years ago now and I think I paid about $875 (rim brake version) plus tax for the set. I can't remember if they were a special order from Chris King Wheelshop, or if they built them elsewhere - I just told them what I wanted and they showed up a week or two later - but yes, $1200 retail sounds about right for the disc wheelset.

BTW, you can get King built wheels directly from their wheel shop, but I don't see the 32/32 on there - only 28/28. They might build them 32/32 if you call them. I doubt the price would change much unless they charge extra for a special order.
    Chris King Wheels.

Re: tires, I did try a set of 32mm Clement Strada USH. These things are really beefy in just about every way - I was seriously hoping to use them for a winter and gravel tire, however...

...they were a little too cozy to the chain stay for my liking (inside of 2mm). With rim and tire flex there is a good chance they would rub, especially at low pressures. A skinnier 32 might work, but I'm really happy with the 28mm Continental 4 seasons I have on it now .(will switch to 28mm Continental GP4000 SII once the weather dries up and the crud is off the roads). I will experiment with other tires as the riding season comes around - right now the weather is bad and I'm mostly riding indoors.

Re: colors, honestly, I kinda like the Black/Orange and almost bought it. I ended up with the "Team Black" frameset and the built bike looks a lot better to me than the frameset did in pictures.

This is my current favorite picture of my built bike. FYI I built mine up with the "High Stack" variation of the cap spacer, and I have a single 1cm spacer and the 120mm stem- the angle of the picture makes the shift levers look kinda high, but they are nearly flat (I like a little angle for wrist comfort). Edit to add: these are the Continental GP 4000 SII 28mm tires - you can see that this is a lot of tire - the only reason I'm interested in 30mm and 32mm tires would be for a second set of dedicated gravel wheels.

If you built it up from a frameset with whatever components you want - depending on who does the work, and what components you get you *might* save a little money, especially since you don't have to pay for the OEM wheels.

If you don't like black, these are the new frameset colors available per the BMC website. They should be in the supply system now, or, very soon.

roadmachine 01 ONE ? Road ? BMC Switzerland

Silver

Mexico Blue

Team Red

Make sure you are aware of the seatpost issue - Mine was creeping down about 1-2mm every ride (2+hour rides). I've tried a couple of tricks (noted in this thread), but the weather has been too crappy to ride outside lately, so I'm not sure if it's resolved yet. At your weight, it will likely be an issue (minor or otherwise). At this point, I'm not terribly concerned, but that is mostly due to the fact that I have a really good relationship with the shop where i purchased the bike, and am comfortable that they will take care of me if it becomes a more serious problem.

Something else to understand about the RM-01 that some may not be aware of (unless you've built the bike up). The fork steerer and stem design are unique - which is a polite way of saying proprietary - the steerer is not round - it has flat sides to allow for the internal cable routing. It also has shims that go into the gaps inside the stem to help it grip the steerer. The steerer has a dense foam material inside of it that has a nut threaded into it. This nut is what you screw the stem cap into. So far it's all worked flawlessly, but be aware that you aren't going to swap out off the shelf parts here - if you need to replace any of it, its going to have to be ordered from BMC, including the stems and stem spacers.

It's very difficult to describe this, and I didn't bother to take pictures while I was building it. You can see how it all goes together in the assembly instruction manual at this link.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/file..._Manual_EN.pdf

I knew all of this before I bought my frameset - and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the proprietary nature of the design. I pondered buying an RM-02 instead, which uses a standard steerer/stem/bar setup, but ultimately, with reassurances from the mechanics, shop manager and the BMC rep that they would 'take care of me' if there were issues, I decided to stick with the RM-01 ,and, so far so good.

Feel free to ask any more questions - use PM's if you are concerned about thread derails, etc...
    Last edited by Migen21; 02-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    You can bring down the Price for the ultegra di2 model (ifyou do not mind using the stock wheels) by negotiating hard! ;-).... I also ordered the stock Version and wanted to Change wheels, because the 3T wheels are too expensive for what they can offer (IMO). My LBS did not want to Change and I did not want to pay, but I can live with the 3T wheels. So I got a fair Discount which was in any case cheaper than building up starting from a frameset. I will receive mine mid of March, but I am worried / excited about the seatpost issue... I will update you on that. Keep an eye on the complete RM LTD, which offers partial DURA ACE and is a very good deal IMO. Only the wheelset can not be clearly specified... could not find any info in the Web...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleCAD3 View Post
    You can bring down the Price for the ultegra di2 model (ifyou do not mind using the stock wheels) by negotiating hard! ;-).... I also ordered the stock Version and wanted to Change wheels, because the 3T wheels are too expensive for what they can offer (IMO). My LBS did not want to Change and I did not want to pay, but I can live with the 3T wheels. So I got a fair Discount which was in any case cheaper than building up starting from a frameset. I will receive mine mid of March, but I am worried / excited about the seatpost issue... I will update you on that. Keep an eye on the complete RM LTD, which offers partial DURA ACE and is a very good deal IMO. Only the wheelset can not be clearly specified... could not find any info in the Web...
    YES! Please keep us all informed! I look forward to more posts about this bike. And I too am concerned about the seat post since it will effect me more due to my weight! =)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    @ Rasto: I just did some Research and found out, that the weight saving on the STI R9170 will be around 100 gr. compared to the Standard STIīs... I think we have to search for another item to save 300 gr. ;
    Dura ACE: 365 gr. (according to shimano), ST-R785: 498 gr. (according to Shimano), This means 133 gr. saving ;-)
    Last edited by cannondaleCAD3; 02-26-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: addition

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    How many Headset spacers do you use on your RM01? Do I have to cut the hydraulic cables when changing spacer Setup. I think I will Need to go with "High stack" - spacer and 1 additional spacer, maybe 2 additional spacers. So my Switch will be from stock Level (3 spacers) to 1 spacer at least.... I will also ask my LBS when Fitting the bike, but I am interested in your experiences :-).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I used one 1cm spacer on mine, but I opted for the "High Stack" option.

The spacers are 'split', so you can add-remove them without having to cut or remove any cables - just pull the stem off and modify as needed - Of course steerer length could be an issue - You wouldn't be able to use the BMC spacers above the stem, although thinking about it- a standard round spacer should work ok.

Take a look at the manual to see how it all goes together.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/filea..._Manual_EN.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleCAD3 View Post
    @ Rasto: I just did some Research and found out, that the weight saving on the STI R9170 will be around 100 gr. compared to the Standard STIīs... I think we have to search for another item to save 300 gr. ;
    Dura ACE: 365 gr. (according to shimano), ST-R785: 498 gr. (according to Shimano), This means 133 gr. saving ;-)
    If you read my previous post carefully, you will see that I compared new di2 DA r9170 shifters to mechanical rs685 which are currently installed on my RM01 ultegra. One pair of rs685 shifters is about 645g (according to weights)! R9170 real weight is about 316g according to this source (find photo attached).
    So there is weight saving of 329g!
    I suggest not to rely on weights provided by shimano because you actually don't know what's in it... (hose, housing, cable, fittings etc.)

But I agree that if your bike is already equipped with an electric shimano group with
    ST-R785 shifters than upgrade to r9170 may not be that interesting. If that's the case you can save a lot of grams by going tubeless for example

To adress your question about spacers; My bike came with a high stack ICS spacer and 3 x 1 cm split spacers (13g each). To achieve the same riding position like on my previous bike I have to remove all 1 cm split spacers and use a low stack ICS spacer. As
    Migen21 mentioned you don't have to open braking system to add/remove 1 cm spacers but to change the ICS spacer you are going to have to at least disconnect brake hoses from levers or even cut/change them to compensate for lenght...

BTW I took weight of the low stack spacer and I was surprised that it weights just 29 g (carbon)
    . Although I don't know the weight of high stack spacer. I guess I will save about 80-90g by this change (3x 1cm spacer, low ICS spacer and cut steerer), so I'm super happy
    Last edited by Rasto; 02-27-2017 at 02:34 AM. Reason: added photo and link

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Hello Rasto, this is great Information at all! Thank you for that! I did not know about the exact height of the spacers, which is answered now. Honestly I did not read it carrefully... your bike is equipped with mechanical shifting... I know that, but forgot it while comparing components ;-). Thank you also for the weight Information on the spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    It's ok Did you already make an order? If yes which version/colour did you choose?

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed that you answered this question in your previous post ;)
    Last edited by Rasto; 02-27-2017 at 04:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Yes, I already ordered a Di2 Model RM01 in Black/orange, which was my favourite colour from the beginning... Normally I ride my Roadbike 6-10 years.. therefore I Need to choose a colour which is OK for that period of time... ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Does anybody here own the garmin Mount for the RM01 stem? I saw it in some bike-tests on the web, but do not find it anywhere for purchase. ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale CAD3
    Does anybody here own the garmin Mount for the RM01 stem? I saw it in some bike-tests on the web, but do not find it anywhere for purchase. ...

When I bought my bike, it wasn't available yet - that was back in Nov - I haven't checked since.

I don't use a Garmin (I use Wahoo Elemnt), so I'm not even sure I need it - hopefully the device adapter is interchangeable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I'm interested in the garmin mount as well. I communicated with the czech distributor and according to them the mount (301007 ICS Stem Garmin/GoPro mount set) will be available 6/2017.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Thatīs great News... then we have to be Patient until June 17. If it is priced like the bikes, then it will cost as much as a set of cheap wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I have been shopping around for a decent tubeless gravel tire that would fit between the chainstays on my RoadMachine RM-01.

The best I have come up with so far is the Schwalbe G-One Speed - 700x30mm

I've never used these tires before, and had some bad experiences with some of the original Schwalbe One's when they first came out. That said, these look ideal for mixed tarmac/gravel/dirt roads, which is what I plan to use them for. I don't expect they will be long wearing, but if they are durable and don't cut sidewalls on gravel, I'll live with a short lifespan.

I have yet to take them for their first ride, so not sure on pressures yet. I'll probably start at around 60f 65r and work my way down from there.

Here are some pictures of them mounted on a set of HED Belgium Plus wheels.

Looks to be a fairly comfortable 2.5mm on the right chainstay (it's not as close as it looks in the picture)

A little more room on the left side

Lots of room in front of the rear tire

Calipers showing the width at ~30.4mm

And a view of the tire profile on the rim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I went to the lbs BMC vendor today and unfortunately I felt the RM01 was still pretty aggressive posture for my needs. Im trying to find if there are different stems that come in a "positive angle" (Im trying to find out the right words to describe...) vs just the different length of stems?

What I felt is that I was "reaching" to far forward. Im sure that can be fixed with a positive stem but since the RM01 stem is proprietary... do they have that? While I liked the test ride... its difficult to determine if the true comfort is there?

Also, the lbs store informed me that I should be concerned about the seat stem (not the actual stem but what the stem goes into... again, trying to find the appropriate word choice) reports that it has been "cracking!" And the BMC warranty can normally take up to 3 months to deliver a new frame? Are there any known information about this information?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The stem on the RoadMachine only comes in one angle - there are various lengths available from BMC.

What it does have, rather than a variable angle stem, is an alternative stem cap piece - there are two options - Low Stack and High Stack - using these, combined with the 1cm spacers is how you raise or lower the front end of the bike.

And if make the RM01 front end work you could consider the RM-03, which uses a standard stem/bar setup (cost of of the hidden cable routing in the bars). It should be a little more accomodating.

If that doesn't work, the trusty old tried and true BMC GF-01 has a sloping top tube, higher stand and more relaxed geometry.

Here is an image showing the stack height options - not sure which one you were trying today - you might ask your shop about this - it should be included with the bike, and they should be willing to swap it out for you (swapping this piece requires disconnecting the brake lines).

Here is a pretty good view of the "High Stack" stack piece on my 61cm bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Migen... I totally hear you and the bike had the "high stack" on it. I kinda think it was a longer stem. While I truly loved the bike and very comfortable on my test ride... its going to become a much larger expense than msrp of the bike. Unfortunately I got a final quote from the lbs and the shop wont credit the parts to be changed so that will be an added expense on top of the bike! =(

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The most important thing is that it fits - if it doesn't look for something that does

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the options.

If you have BMC dealer see if they have a GF-01 in your size - it's probably a more friendly fit for you.

Specialized Roubaix and Trek Domane are probably worth a look as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    The most important thing is that it fits - if it doesn't look for something that does

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the options.

If you have BMC dealer see if they have a GF-01 in your size - it's probably a more friendly fit for you.

Specialized Roubaix and Trek Domane are probably worth a look as well.
    Yeah... unfortunately, the dealer confirmed that they will not credit the rm01 replacement parts and wheelset after the fitting. So, I will be paying the price for the bike plus full price for replacement items. But, going project one trek allows a credit for items replaced. So... it looks like im going that route!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    I also wanted to trade in the Standard wheels and the LBS was not amused... I have to say: I can live with These wheels, but they are overpriced in my opinion. Therefore I asked my shop to Change the wheels. They were not amused, but gave me some other Options (all cheaper!) - in the end I got a fair Discount when taking the bike with the 3T wheelset.. in Addition I will get my handlebar changed from 42 to 44 cm for free. Therefore my Suggestion: try to find another shop! This should be the Minimum Service they can do for you. If they are not interested in doing this, what will they do if there are any Problems. I assume you are talking about RM01, which costs as much as a small car... I think it should be possible for any shop to come up to customers expectations up to some Level. Maybe you have to buy a second stem, as this is a RM01 specific part, which they can not sell very easy to any other customer, but also your shop should be interested in the fact that you are seated / fitted well on your new bike!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast