BMC Streetracer Info/FAQ Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Short coming: Lack of tire clearance

There is one short coming with this bike and that is the narrow tire clearance. I think this is worth noting because potential buyers should be aware of this.

Given that this bike is aimed towards recreational and fitness riders, I think BMC should have given the frame and fork more tire clearance. Fitness riders may want the option of more cush from larger tires because comfort can be an important factor. It would seem fitting for this bike to fit all 25c tires (See my previous post regarding 25c tires)

Other brands' equivalent bikes (Fuji Roubaix, Felt Z series, Specialized Secteur) easily fit larger tires. The Felt & Specialzied even comes stock with 25c tires. The 2011 Fuji Roubaix has enough clearance for 28c tires even.

But all is not lost, you can fit some 25c tires, but as I mentioned before it is a trial and error process. I recommend buying from a shop that allows you to return the 25c tires for a refund should they not fit. Retailers like Performance Bikes have impressive return policies. I've seen worn shoes returned for full refund there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

User review link

Here's the link to the Streetracer SR02 review page here on RBR.

Share your thoughts!

BMC Street Racer SR02 Road Bike Reviews

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Hey guys, my 2011 SR01 Ultegra compact arrived a few weeks back. Since it's full winter on the northern hemisphere, I've had all the time in the world to browse around - but no chance to ride it. Thanks for this thread!

Got mine from a german retailer for 999 euros which I think is a cracking deal. Had to call them though to get instructions how to order online, since the website only let's you choose Germany as destination of delivery.

A few questions
    1) What's the main difference between 01 & 02, is it just the groupset and components? The geo seems about the same
    2) I got a Fizik Arione from a friend that I want to test out. Since the toptube is about 1 cm longer than on the racier carbon BMC models and Arione is about the longest saddle out there, do you think I will have problems finding a good seat position?
    3) I'm considering a few upgrades - Deda stem, handlebars (or FSA) and seatpost + some blue/black Durano S' for the spring. Have you guys upgraded anything yet (besides the FSA bars)?

Cheers!
    Last edited by vx600; 02-24-2012 at 11:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vx600 View Post
    A few questions
    1) What's the main difference between 01 & 02, is it just the groupset and components? The geo seems about the same
    2) I got a Fizik Arione from a friend that I want to test out. Since the toptube is about 1 cm longer than on the racier carbon BMC models and Arione is about the longest saddle out there, do you think I will have problems finding a good seat position?
    3) I'm considering a few upgrades - Deda stem, handlebars (or FSA) and seatpost + some blue/black Durano S' for the spring. Have you guys upgraded anything yet (besides the FSA bars)?

Cheers!
    Congrats on a sweet bike

1) Difference between 01 and 02 designations are just components and color. Otherwise same frame.

2) As for the saddle and top tube, only way to know is to test ride it and adjust accordingly. I think you should be able to adjust the placement to suit you.

And your 3rd question about upgrades...
    Saddle: now riding a Specialized Avatar 143mm wide saddle
    Seatpost: installed a white Ritchey WCS white seat post to match the white frame
    Bartape: Specialized S-Wrap Classic bar tape for its slicker texture
    Tires: Forte Pro+ 25c tires for added cush over stock 23c

Maybe new wheels later this spring if I can prove to myself to ride often enough to justify it. If I do, it'll be either Ksyrium Elites or Ultegra hoops.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by holy cromoly View Post
    Congrats on a sweet bike

1) Difference between 01 and 02 designations are just components and color. Otherwise same frame.

2) As for the saddle and top tube, only way to know is to test ride it and adjust accordingly. I think you should be able to adjust the placement to suit you.

And your 3rd question about upgrades...
    Saddle: now riding a Specialized Avatar 143mm wide saddle
    Seatpost: installed a white Ritchey WCS white seat post to match the white frame
    Bartape: Specialized S-Wrap Classic bar tape for its slicker texture
    Tires: Forte Pro+ 25c tires for added cush over stock 23c

Maybe new wheels later this spring if I can prove to myself to ride often enough to justify it. If I do, it'll be either Ksyrium Elites or Ultegra hoops.
    Ksyrium ftw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

25c Follow-up: No go.

After several weeks of running 25c tires, I cannot recommend running them on the Streetracer.

I had posted some photos of how tight clearance is. When on the work stand, the tires seemingly have just enough room to clear.

However under actual riding, slight rubbing does occurs from tire contact as well as debris stuck to the tires like tiny asphalt and tarmac bits.

So the 25c's are coming off and back goes on the 23c tires.

This has been my only disappointment with the other sweet Streetracer.

S2H
    wut?
    To be fair, you are trying to run 25s on a bike with the word "racer" in the name...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    holy_cromoly,

Though I am not very much fond of sloping frames, I really loved your approach to the SR01 and I have found your posts very nice to read. Thanks.

I hope somebody will love the RM01 as much as you love the SR01

Good night,

batur

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    To be fair, you are trying to run 25s on a bike with the word "racer" in the name...
    Good point indeed.

The takeaway for me is that BMC's execution of a sport and fitness bike is still race oriented.
    Reminds of BMW cars really, even their family sedans are still stiff riding and sporty. My four door 1990 325i drives like a two door sports car.

The Streetracer is really just an alum version of the Roadracer really. So at the end of the day it's still a racer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Here's a couple Youtube video of the 2012 Streetracer SR01.

2012 gets a new color/paint scheme.

And the house brand SCOR parts seem to be replaced by Easton parts (seat post, stem).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by batura View Post
    holy_cromoly,

Though I am not very much fond of sloping frames, I really loved your approach to the SR01 and I have found your posts very nice to read. Thanks.

I hope somebody will love the RM01 as much as you love the SR01

Good night,

batur
    Hello batur.

My favorite BMC is actually the 2011 blue/orange RM01... your bike!

I was searching high and low for a 53cm, but to no avail. The 2012 Race Machine colors are not as exciting as the 2011 ones.

Enjoy your beautiful bike and happy riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Here's a promo video video for the 2012 Streetracer shot by Evans Cycles in the UK

HELL ON WHEELS
    So I was going to ask the stem length, putting it up for sale on CL, but upon taking a closer look I found it.

Scor MKIII Stem:
    +/- 7
    100mm
    5Nm ( this is the torque spec. for tightening the bolts, thank you looigi )
    Last edited by BigTex_BMC; 04-12-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nm means Newton-meters. That's a max torque spec for tightening the screws.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    so, 4 years later, would be crazy to pay 700 $ for an used streetracer sr02? s-l1600.jpg

the bbb says:

2012 BMC Streetracer SR01 (105) - New and Used Bike Value

I know it is not the same model but it is the closest one that I could find
    dalps

Ride safe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12