Cracked SLR01...I think
    RoadBikeReview Member

Cracked SLR01...I think

Found what appeared to be a hairline crack in my top tube on my 2013 SLR01. Doesn't appear to be much and my initial thought was a crack in the paint job. The place I bought it from doesn't sell BMC anymore so I took it to another LBS. They were fantastic about taking the bike in and stated that they would take a look at it closely, possibly do some smoke test on it to see if it was a crack that went all of the way through, and show it to the BMC rep in the next few days. I have a feeling I am being over cautious and it really is nothing, but I guess better safe than sorry. As soon as this gets sorted out I will give the proper rep to the shop on here if they come through for me. Not sure if anyone else has had a crack show up on the top tube or not (right on/near the Team Machine sticker)? Hopefully this is nothing and I get the bike back soon, if not I'm not sure how or if a warranty will be exercised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I've never heard of a "smoke test" but I can imagine what it is. Please enlighten me with details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never heard of it before either and thought it was the proverbial "smoke and mirrors" on me. The shop guy stated they take the bike apart and run smoke through the frame to see if there is a leak at the suspected crack. I'm no bike tech, so new to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    I've never heard of it before either and thought it was the proverbial "smoke and mirrors" on me. The shop guy stated they take the bike apart and run smoke through the frame to see if there is a leak at the suspected crack. I'm no bike tech, so new to me.
    That's the first time I am hearing about that method and I used to work in a bike shop. I can't find much info online either. I would ask for more info if I were you OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will get some more details, but I am going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. They seemed truly interested in helping and I didn't get the feeling that they were being shifty if that's what you are thinking. Again, I don't know squat about inspecting a crack in a frame other than just looking at it so I guess my naivety should have guided me to asking more questions. Thanks folks.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never heard of it either and it doesn't sound legit to me. A small hairline crack isn't going to vent smoke. You'd have to totally plug ever other orifice on the bike so the smoke doesn't just vent there. BB, head tube, seat tube, bottle cages, cable entries, etc etc. And probably pressurize it too.

Furthermore, what if the crack is only through 1/2 the carbon? Smoke wouldn't pass through, yet the frame is highly compromised.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I think it means they take the bike into the back of the shop, roll a few joints, sit around for a bit, then give you a call to tell you to buy a new bike from them.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by goodboyr View Post
    I think it means they take the bike into the back of the shop, roll a few joints, sit around for a bit, then give you a call to tell you to buy a new bike from them.
    certainly the most plausible.

smoke test?

lol
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some one is about to get rogered
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I had known the true meaning of a smoke test I could have driven through downtown DC and hooked them up if it meant getting the bike fixed. Dang, I'm a moreon

RoadBikeReview Member
    when I first purchased my second hand SLR01 I was paranoid about the history of the frame, even though I had spoken with the last owner and gotten a very good vibe. there are a lot of folds in the naked carbon which can look like cracks. I had multiple "oh ****, this is it, yep, i knew it" moments which were sorted in seconds when I realized that it's yet another carbon fold with the sun hitting it at just the right angle.

I'm assuming you weren't high when writing the original message: if you're not 250+lbs or throwing the bike around, where would the crack have come from? especially in that rather highly "guarded" area.

Pics or it didn't happen. c'mon I know you have a camera enabled smart phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I fully admit and believe I mentioned in my original post that I am being an overcautious twit. The shop did call me and let me know that they do not think it is a crack at all, just a scratch. I was thinking that's what it was, but when you put a lot of money in to something why not take it to the shop to be sure. At least now I don't need to worry about it.

I'm right at 148lbs, so I know it's not a weight problem. Don't recall hitting a pot hole or anything, so a scratch makes sense. Just doesn't really look like a scratch for some reason to me. It's weird, I know.

I would take a pic but I don't have it right now, and when I get it back I guess I just hope this thread dies a quick death so I don't have to keep thinking about all the time I've wasted of others because I was paranoid.

But hey, at least we now have heard of a smoke test.