LBS Dropping BMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

LBS Dropping BMC

Last Summer there were 4 BMC dealers in my area. Now there's just 1. I spoke to 2 of the owners who I know well and both said that BMC has become impossible to deal with. They love the bikes but there was a lot of venom when they spoke about BMC USA. Is anyone else seeing this trend or is it just the Northeast?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    My favorite LBS is a BMC dealer (I own three of them). I've not heard about them dropping BMC, but honestly I haven't been in there much lately. It's too nice outside to not be riding....

In fact, the last time I was in there the BMC rep was there (were on a first name basis ). I didn't sense any tension, so I assume all is well...

Im curious now. Next time I stop in, I'll see if I can get anything out of the managers. They sell a lot of BMC's, so I'd be surprised if they did drop them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Bike shops add and drop brands all the time. I just can't remember 3 out of 4 shops dropping the same brand in the same year.

I also met the BMC rep who my favorite shop introduced me to. He hooked me up with the ALR-01 as soon as it came out last year. He also used to funnel excess stock from other shops to this one. They sold a bunch of Alpenchallenge bikes that were probably too expensive for the area they were previously in.

It's strange how they went from doing so well that they would take inventory from other stores to dropping the brand. I definitely think it must be do to stocking requirements or financing terms because they had no problem selling the bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have heard rumors about BMC's demise. I don't know if it's a distribution channel thing or what so I won't speculate further. If true, bring on the BMC liquidation sales!

Has anyone ever not gotten screwed by manuf. warranty anyway? Would buy.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Forever a Student
    Their margins tend to be lower than other brands. Their service tends to be worse than other brands. Add them up and several LBS's don't want to deal with it anymore, not worth their time. There's been a lot of dropping and picking up of BMC in my area, seems a new shop has them every year.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I just talked to some folks at the local BMC shop. They are not only keeping BMC, but they are expanding their product line, and working on some kind of exclusive online partnership with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I just talked to some folks at the local BMC shop. They are not only keeping BMC, but they are expanding their product line, and working on some kind of exclusive online partnership with them.
    THEY are expanding their product line? Let's stick to road... BMC only had the incredibly expensive - and incredibly sexy looking as leaning up against my wall - SLR01 for years. Then came the GF01 which was still pricey in comparison to other brands. BMC then woke up and said gee we need a cheaper entry product to compete with [insert a dozen other manufacturers here].

As a BMC dealer it only makes sense to stock up on entry level products GF02, SLR02 and SLR03...it's not a choice per se, the dealers were DYING for brand expansion, hopefully it's not too late.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    They already carry all of the models in some form or the other. Team Machine, Cross Machine, Gran Fondo, Time Machine, Alpenchallenge, and whatever the mountain bikes are.

What I meant by expanding is that they are going to allocate more floor space and storage space to keep more sizes and models available on hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Well, this is an interesting development

BMC launches Roadmachine endurance bike line | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

I surely hope this is an all new bike, and it's not replacing the Gran Fondo. I'm still hoping they release the Gran Fondo RBX that their UCI team used in Paris Roubaix the last two years. Or at least something similar, perhaps with disc brakes.

I'll have to take a closer look at the geometries of the new Roadmachines, but just a quick glance, it doesn't look like a bike I'd trade my Gran Fondo GF-01 for. I'll be interested to ride one when the shop gets them in.

The geometries

Edit:
    UGH! Looking at their website, the Gran Fondo is GONE... yikes...
    BMC Switzerland - Performance Bikes

Edit2: Just a quick glance at the specs. This bike is slightly more agressive geometry than my beloved GF-01. Slightly shorter stack and slightly longer reach. I really wanted to consider upgrading my GF-01 in the next year or two, but I'm not getting any younger, and I'm not sure I'm looking for more aggressive geometry at this point. I guess it's understandable that BMC isn't exactly marketing their race bikes (even the endurance models) towards old men like me.
    Last edited by Migen21; 06-10-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Forever a Student
    Edit2: Just a quick glance at the specs. This bike is slightly more agressive geometry than my beloved GF-01. Slightly shorter stack and slightly longer reach.
    It's very close to the geometry of the Granfondo, certainly close enough.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Re: the geometry, individually the changes are small, collectively... we'll see. One thing that jumps out at me immediately, at least visually, there is much less slope to the top tube. On my 61cm Gran Fondo, much of the compliance comes from having the 'compliancepost' so far above the top of the frame.

I'm a little dissappointed in the integrated crap too. GF has a standard, round 27.2 seatpost. Roadmachine has a proprietary D shaped thing with a integrated clamp.

Not quite sure what's going on with the headset and stem. It also looks proprietary. I tend to change my stem on occasion as needed, based on physical issues. This doesn't bode well.

And then, there are those colors... Ugh... At least the frameset is the old standard "Team Red". I didn't think it was possible to make an uglier bike than last years Gran Fondo coffee colorway, but that green bike in the promo video.. yikes...

Anyway, as always, I'll take one out for a nice, long test ride before I decide, but at this point, I'll probably be sticking with my trusty 2014 GF01 for another couple of years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015
    Does anyone by chance have any recommendations in the north/east or mid atlantic area for a shop that would allow me to test a couple BMC's? (R & A doesn't allow test rides)
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucca View Post
    Does anyone by chance have any recommendations in the north/east or mid atlantic area for a shop that would allow me to test a couple BMC's? (R & A doesn't allow test rides)
    Thanks.
    Put a zip code in here.

Find a BMC retailer - BMC Switzerland

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks. I have already tried that and gone to every website for the shops listed in about a five hour radius of my house. None of the shops have much in the way of a BMC Roadmachine. If anyone has any personal knowledge of a shop with a good supply of BMC's to test in the N/E or mid atl. area I'd love to hear about it.