10 speed campy shifters with 10 speed Shimano cassette OR 11 speed campy cassette
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020

10 speed campy shifters with 10 speed Shimano cassette OR 11 speed campy cassette

Hey folks,

Another question for someone far more experienced than me 😊

I recently purchased a wheel-on smart trainer to get zwifting. The person I bought it off gave me a trainer wheel to go with it with a hub that supports Shimano 8/9/10 speed cassettes. He did also include a campagnolo hub to swap as I run 10 speed campy ergopower shifters but it states that it only allows campy 11 speed cassettes.

So here is my dilemma and trying to pick the combo that will work best if anyone out there has any experience. Do I go with a 10 speed Shimano cassette with my 10 speed campy shifters OR run an 11 speed campy cassette with my 10 speed campy shifters.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you all.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinof View Post
    Do I go with a 10 speed Shimano cassette with my 10 speed campy shifters
    No

OR run an 11 speed campy cassette with my 10 speed campy shifters.
    No

Shimano and Campy have different widths and spacings. And Campy 10-11 cassettes have different widths and spacings. You can't mix them.

He did also include a campagnolo hub to swap as I run 10 speed campy ergopower shifters but it states that it only allows campy 11 speed cassettes.
    I'm not a Campy expert but I don't know how that's the case. Campy 10 and 11 speed cassettes use the same hub.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Sup...speed_groupset
    Yes, it is certainly possible. The Campagnolo FW body was not changed and is compatible with the 9/10/11/12 speed groupsets.

forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13101058/campagnolo-10-speed-cassette-on-11-speed-hub
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Thank you TLG - not sure why the package stated 11-speed Campy only. It is a PowerTap Hub - visited this link (https://powermetercity.com/product/p...ehub-body-kit/) and it clearly states that "he PowerTap Freehub Body Kit allows you to convert your PowerTap G3 Hub to be Shimano and Campy 11-speed compatible. The Freehub Body Kit also includes an adapter which allows you to use it with 8-, 9- or 10-speed cassettes"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinof View Post
    Thank you TLG - not sure why the package stated 11-speed Campy only. It is a PowerTap Hub
    Maybe just poor wording on the package. Probably meant to say:
    11 Speed Hub. Campy Only.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks again TLG so a question that you may be able to answer, will the attached Campagnolo hub style (alloy one pictured) work with the Shimano wheel style (black hub) I have? I don't know too much about how hubs work.20200330_180145.jpg20200330_180106.jpg20200330_180145.jpg20200330_180106.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't really tell what you're trying to accomplish here, but the Campy/Powertap cassette body you're holding will not fit the Shimano hub and vice versa. They have different internals and even different axle diameters.
    Alleged "Campy fanboy" and "Einstein".

Matnlely Dregaend
    FYI they make Shimano splined cassettes that have Campy spacing. It's called a conversion cassette. They used to be cheap but are harder to find now.

https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...y-spacing-4929
    Last edited by DrSmile; 04-22-2020 at 04:22 AM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody