1999 Racing Triple
    WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002

1999 Racing Triple

I have a triple crank, FD & RD all Racing T from either 1999 or 2000, it had 9 speed shifters. Everything is in pretty good shape as I switched the entire drivetrain to 10 spd compact double in 2006.

2 questions:
    Will 10 speed shifters work with the Racing T? Or do I need to find 9 spd shifters?

Does the left shifter have to be specifically for the triple FD?

Thanks in advance for help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am not sure how your question relates to your conversion to the 10 speed with a compact double, but as to the second part of your question, I have read here that the left shifter works with both double and triple front gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Well if you change the rear cassette to 10 it might work fine, the FD will work for sure but the RD it might or it might not, dunno if the cable ration was changed when campagnolo went to 10 speed.

Yes 10 speed shifters work with triple. As long as you get a pre 2010 one, those will work with triple, i believe the 2010 - 2011 veloce escape wont work with triple. Chorus and record 10s always worked with triple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz
    I have a triple crank, FD & RD all Racing T from either 1999 or 2000, it had 9 speed shifters. Everything is in pretty good shape as I switched the entire drivetrain to 10 spd compact double in 2006.

2 questions:
    Will 10 speed shifters work with the Racing T?
    Moving to 10 speeds your best and perhaps least expensive choice is a used 10-speed long-cage rear derailleur from E-bay. A Jtek Shiftmate would be my second choice.

The front derailleur should be fine. The rear derailleur won't index right (9-speed derailleurs with a B-tension screw in the traditional location instead of a screw on the second pivot use a different pull ratio from 10 speed and 2001+ 9-speed). Some people have problems with chain skate on 9 speed cranksets with 10 speed chains.

Or do I need to find 9 spd shifters?
    Just the index disc (EC-RE313; note that this is different than the 2001 and newer 9-speed part EC-RE063 and may be unavailable) and if you're particular the front ratchet (EC-RE133) although you could get 9-speed shifters made in 1997-2000. Newer 9 speed shifters have the wrong pull ratio. Might want to avoid 1997 shifters too (identified by the pointy first generation hoods) because Campagnolo has been discontinuing small parts like spring carriers and return springs.

Does the left shifter have to be specifically for the triple FD?
    No.
    Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.