2008 Campy Record pricing question

Oct 2008

2008 Campy Record pricing question

Ok. I bought a Record QS 10 sp groupset about 5 months ago and literally only has approximately 700 miles on it. .
    Then come to find out that Campy came out with the 11sp. My least favorite spec on the groupset are the shifters. Coming from D.A. ( shifters are more comfortable to me ), the Campy shifters have been ok, but still prefer the D.A. cushy-ness. Although I havent tested the new Campy. the shifters look as comfortable, if not more than D.A. So, I am serious considering upgrading to the 11 sp Record mostly for the shifters. I have a buddy who is considering buying my slightly used group as his Record is about 10 years old. I have been searching endlessly for some comps on the groupset to see if it's even worth making the switch but cannot find anything out there ( ie ebay, internet). I need help finding a good asking price. maybe a high and a low. It is 2008 Record QS ( the QS is in red if that matters ) shifters, brakes, short cage RD, braze on FD. 11-25 cassette, chain, 172.5 crankset w/bb, cables. Any help would be appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Total Cycling and PBK have both sold the 2008 groups for around $1350-1600 new, depending on the deal of the moment. eBay seems to be about the same on the higher side, though there are sellers asking more in the $1700 range. Not sure what the depreciation would be on 700 miles, but would affect the worth somewhat. Guess it depends on what it's worth to you and what you paid for it as well.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    If it were a regular Record group, 2008, with 700 miles, I would say you could sell yours for $1,100 +/-. That assumes full gruppo with crank, chain and cassette.

Record red sells for more. How much more? I'm not sure - red is fairly rare. Just the shifters can sell for $300 - 350 more.
    Escalate. Always escalate.

May 2006
    You could also get the 2009 Centaur levers, which have the new shape but the 10 speed internals. They would work with your current drivetrain. I saw them at Excel for about $435 or so, but they're probably cheaper elsewhere.
    Oh, to just grip your handlebars and lay down to it, and go ripping and tearing through streets and road, over railroad tracks and bridges, threading crowds, avoiding collisions, at twenty miles or more an hour, and wondering all the time when you're going to smash up. --Jack London

Oct 2008
    thanks for the input. To Brujenn or who ever else can answer. Not quite sure if my stuff is Record Red. The " Ultra 10" "QS Ultra " on the shifters are in Red. Is that what you are refering to? What is the difference from non red ones?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I think there are a few other threads on the red stuff, but from what I understand, the only difference is that the logos are red and there is a spring/part in the brifter that is a bit more "robust" than the normal ones. Aside from that, there were less of them made, so they have higher asking prices on eBay. They don't always sell for the higher prices though.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Slimjw is right on the asking vs selling prices. I just checked sold items on ebay and found red shifters have sold for just $50 - $75 more than record. The differences are few, and mostly appeal to the ego or irrational lust for Italian perfection.

I don't know about identifying red other than the shifters, which is done by the red ink.
    Escalate. Always escalate.