RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

athena 11 alloy is sexy

Colnago Master X Light (PR99) Campy Athena 11, Alloy
    Ritchey Swiss Cross, Campy Athena 11, Carbon

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Pretty bike but I really question the whole retro thing. Kind of reminds me of boomers buying old relic muscle cars that they grew up street racing in their teens recapturing their younth when even modest modern cars do everything better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the laugh

Old bikes are like fine wine……a good vintage is timeless….
    Last edited by majorbanjo; 08-02-2014 at 05:19 PM.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the laugh

or...Old bikes are like old bikes i.e., heavy, poor handling and as stiff as a rag.
    Glad you like yours tho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Yep….at my age…..looking sexy while riding is my top priority….I've thrown away 10 top tier carbon bikes in the last 20 years….but the master keeps looking classic….

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Thanks for the laugh

You sire, have one drool worthy bike

Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    or...Old bikes are like old bikes i.e., heavy, poor handling and as stiff as a rag.
    Glad you like yours tho.
    LMAO.

There's a reason kids these days drop $2-5K on a brand spanking new plastic bike...and then in 1 or 2 years don't like their ride anymore and are pining for something new. No soul.

Don't worry junior, some day you'll get it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Beautiful bike executed to perfection. I'd take that over any carbon frame.

Big is relative
    Here is my lame, poor handling classic steel frame built up with all alloy Athena 11 with a NOS UT crankset. It is a Mark Nobilette built GT that started life as a Team Shaklee race bike. I had it painted by Southwest Frameworks and although it's heavy and outdated, I can still keep up with the locals on their new fangled carbon bikes and even occasionally take a sprint on training rides. It's almost like the engine is more important than the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigbill; 08-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Retired sailor

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You sire, have one drool worthy bike

There's a reason kids these days drop $2-5K on a brand spanking new plastic bike...and then in 1 or 2 years don't like their ride anymore and are pining for something new. No soul.

Don't worry junior, some day you'll get it.
    I'm sixty years old and grew up riding now Italian vintage bikes including Colnagos...lol.
    If you want to live in the past with technology, go for it. I prefer my Ipod to an 8 track and others are forever caught in a time warp I suppose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Great choice for my second bike

I rebuilt an old steel race frame with Athena earlier this year, mostly to make it compatible with my carbon bike which also has various Campy 11 parts. It's an aesthetic thing, sure, but it also functions far better than the parts I had on there 20 years ago.

It's a bit of a mixed bag of Athena parts since half of them were passed down from the carbon rig and half purchased new, therefore the cranks and rear derailleur are silver, the brakes and front mech are black, and the levers are 2010 ultra shift Athena in carbon wrap. That was the economical choice as well, while I upgraded more parts to Chorus or Record on my lightweight bike. The best part of it is, I can now ride modern Campy wheels with 11s on either.

Aesthetically though, I really like the Athena PT cranks in silver, I know a lot of posters hate Power Torque, but it's unlikely to be de-installed for some time yet. Also, it seems that when they re-designed it from the earlier Athena UT model, it shaved nearly 100 grams, at least according to my scales (744 g for 50/34 in 175 g for the PT cranks) versus the claimed weight for alloy UT though I have never weighed those myself (supposedly 840 g according to some listings). It's no weight weenie bike, but sure, I'll take that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Re: athena 11 alloy is sexy

I'm sixty years old and grew up riding now Italian vintage bikes including Colnagos...lol.
    If you want to live in the past with technology, go for it. I prefer my Ipod to an 8 track and others are forever caught in a time warp I suppose.
    I prefer my c-j tubes and vinyl over mp3s ;) , but as far as "old bikes", for me, it's not about nostalgia, as much as its about worrying if my plastic bike will fail if I hit a pot hole, drop a chain, etc...I don't have this fear on my "old" Master.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Steel vs carbon, new vs old are great discussions, but why ruin this thread when all this guy wants to do is to show off his new build?

If you do not like it, great. You do not have to post your nasty comments. If you don't like it and have to post [to move up your post count], then lie.

BTW, I like it. 11 speeds and all.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Butcher View Post
    Steel vs carbon, new vs old are great discussions, but why ruin this thread when all this guy wants to do is to show off his new build?

If you do not like it, great. You do not have to post your nasty comments. If you don't like it and have to post [to move up your post count], then lie.

BTW, I like it. 11 speeds and all.
    It is you who are sullying this thread by your criticism. Apparently you can't read. I said 'pretty' bike. I rode Colnago's growing up...did you? Do you know anything about them? My best friend still rides an Aluminum model in fact...along with a fleet of other carbon bikes and tandems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I chose not to ride/buy a Colnago frame. I thought buying that brand was not the way for me to go. I mowed a lot of yards in the day so all the money I made was a lot of hard work to get.

I had a custom made bike with Reynolds 531, built by Tom Ritchey. Yes, that Tom Ritchey. He was very small at the time, 1977 btw. Still have it, built with Campagnolo Super Record, Cinelli, Regina, you know all the old non Japanese stuff.

If I remember correctly, it was a bit cheaper but a much better value.
    Last edited by 1Butcher; 08-06-2014 at 06:13 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Plenty of weak responses on rbr lately. I think most should keep the criticism to themselves. That is a gorgeous bike. I have a couple of carbon bikes but would love one of these with campy 11. My guess is many people have several bikes and want a steel classic. What wheels are those? I don't see any provision for down tube shifters (which I want to avoid).....what frames , year etc do I look for to do a build like this one?

I am interested in a sort of resto mod build. Zipp 303s, blacked out trim and a white frame. I may just stick to something like the bike above because it looks so good. How much do they weigh? A couple of pounds is no big deal
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I would add to this thread, so far as the title is concerned, a quote that I learned a long time ago, about bike parts in general, no matter how elegant, exotic or expensive:

"remember, the metal is cold".

The passion is (or should be) in riding. Polished alloy is a timeless and classic look though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm an Athena devotee too--- beautiful bike major.

Lost in Space...
    Pretty bike but I really question the whole retro thing. Kind of reminds me of boomers buying old relic muscle cars that they grew up street racing in their teens recapturing their younth when even modest modern cars do everything better.

No, I'd love to have a 1970 Mopar E-body although such a model is roughly ten years older than my birth... Likewise, I love retro bikes with alloy parts (although I am a fan of indexed shifting and threadless stems)... it's just preference, nothing to do with recapturing anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    Plenty of weak responses on rbr lately. I think most should keep the criticism to themselves. That is a gorgeous bike. I have a couple of carbon bikes but would love one of these with campy 11. My guess is many people have several bikes and want a steel classic. What wheels are those? I don't see any provision for down tube shifters (which I want to avoid).....what frames , year etc do I look for to do a build like this one?

I am interested in a sort of resto mod build. Zipp 303s, blacked out trim and a white frame. I may just stick to something like the bike above because it looks so good. How much do they weigh? A couple of pounds is no big deal
    The wheels are custom built by Tom at GVH in Oregon..
    White Industries H2/H3 hubs
    Velocity A23 rims
    Sapim Laser spokes (32 spokes for this bike)
    alloy nipples
    weight - 1537g

On another note…..I love my master….I get stopped at every ride for folks to look at the bike……I built it for me, and what I like…..I acknowledge there are folks that don't appreciate it like I do…..and that's ok…….twenty years from now it will still be classic…..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The wheels are custom built by Tom at GVH in Oregon..
    White Industries H2/H3 hubs
    Velocity A23 rims
    Sapim Laser spokes (32 spokes for this bike)
    alloy nipples
    weight - 1537g
    Nice, I'm thinking of doing an A23 build on a pair of 9s Record (can do 11s) hubs 36° front and rear, for some heavy duty trailer-hauling rides with a tent. Are you running those tubeless?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Nice looking bike. Usually, I'm not a fan of white stems and saddles, but yours look really nice with the bike.

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by aa.mclaren View Post
    Nice, I'm thinking of doing an A23 build on a pair of 9s Record (can do 11s) hubs 36° front and rear, for some heavy duty trailer-hauling rides with a tent. Are you running those tubeless?
    Why A23'S? If you're going for the wider-is-better mentality, the H+Son TB14 keeps the classic look with a wider profile... it also has a 36h option.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    No, I'd love to have a 1970 Mopar E-body although such a model is roughly ten years older than my birth... Likewise, I love retro bikes with alloy parts (although I am a fan of indexed shifting and threadless stems)... it's just preference, nothing to do with recapturing anything.
    Hi headloss. I grew up building muscle cars and street racing. My dad worked at Chevy Engineering at the Tech center and used to bring home all the greatest muscle cars from the 60's and 70's...lots of Corvettes, SS Camaros and one notable LS6 450hp Chevelle we took out and ran the wheels off. If that car isn't crushed, it is worth a small fortune today. I can tell you a lot of stories about cars we built. Just a great period to grow up and wouldn't change it for the world.
    To me it is about recapturing because there is such a difference in new tech....so we disagree there. I had a ton of the bikes coveted by vintage fans including 3 different Schwinn Paramounts. In the real early days in the US, Schwinn was considered a great bike until the European bikes put them out of business essentially...perhaps you know the story there.

So aside from the aesthetic or art and nostalgia, I would much prefer to ride a modern carbon bike as I want the most performance. I wouldn't mind owning a Paramount to hang over the fireplace and remind me of my youth, but I don't. So a difference in opinion. By comparison, as much as I love old mid 60's Corvettes, I would much prefer a new one...or a Porsche. To be honest, a mid 60's Corvette is a bucket of bolts compared to a modern Corvette or even Camaro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love the Colnago. Master is a timeless bike. I really think the all white/silver works in this case. Enjoy it and ride safe!

I don't think there has to be a one or the other when it comes to bikes. I have a Pinarello Prince that I picked up 2nd hand from a guy with money is no object mentality...and there is no doubt it is the fastest, most fun, give you back what you put in to it x10 bike I have ever ridden + it is very comfortable. I recently built up a 80s Merckx with alloy 11s Athena and A23s, BTW. It is nostalgic and beautiful and fun in its own right. Very comfortable and super quiet. Just a pleasure to cruise on. My Colnago C-40 is somewhere in between. They are all bikes, we are all riders...plenty of room in the tent for everyone. I personally like having options for different rides/days/moods.

Can we all agree we like Campy?

AlloyLevers1.jpg

MM2.jpg

C40June3_3.jpg
    Last edited by rplace13; 08-04-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Lost in Space...
    Hi headloss. I grew up building muscle cars and street racing...
    But again, it's personal preference. My daily driver is going to be something new and modern (and sadly, disposable... my 98 Nissan Maxima is currently at 210,000 but it's on its last legs). For a "Sunday car" that stays in the garage, I want something with a unibody and a carburetor, something infinitely rebuildable and capable of being passed on to another generation (modern cars do not meet this criteria, too much plastic to save weight and a limited supply of replacement parts).

The scenario is different for bikes, it's just an aesthetics vs value thing. I like the look of steel... I also prefer steel for a commuter where a 25# frame is no big deal. I honestly have no interest in riding carbon as I get no advantage from it with my personal riding style. It's essentially just throwing away money for my condition and riding style... I would be owning carbon, purely for the sake of it, which seems like a dumb investment. If you prefer it and/or have a reason for it, more power to you. So, for me at least, it's not nostalgia but what suits my needs. I like my bucket of bolts, because I like longevity and repairability over lightness and competitive edge. I wouldn't own an old car with any aspirations of racing it (except maybe a Shelby Cobra kit car, and even then, it's more about building it than driving it...).

I guess with bikes, the most important thing to me is commuting/touring. With old cars, it's all about wrenching. I'm not racing either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast