Athena cassette and SR cassette
    Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Athena cassette and SR cassette

I have been trying out alternative wheels on my Super Record 11 equipped bike. The wheel with my Athena 11 speed cassette runs and shifts more smoothly than my Super Record 11 speed cassette.

The drivetrain has always been especially smooth and quiet on my Athena equipped bike and the drivetrain on the Super Record equipped bike has never quite settled in.

I'm figuring that the Athena gruppo utilizes Chorus cassettes. If/when I need to replace my SR cassette, I will seriously consider replacing it with the Chorus cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are the hubs the same? If not they may be slightly different in the distance that the sprockets sit in relation to the dropout. I have DT Swiss & Record which are a hair different. Consequently the shifting is inconsistent between them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always use Chorus on my SR bike.. not paying for SR when they wear faster.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
    Are the hubs the same? If not they may be slightly different in the distance that the sprockets sit in relation to the dropout. I have DT Swiss & Record which are a hair different. Consequently the shifting is inconsistent between them.
    No. I am using Campy Record hubs for the Athena cassette. The SR11 cassette is on a set of Reynolds wheels. You might have a point there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    If correctly installed, there should be no mechanical difference between the SR and Chorus cassettes. I'd second the suggestion that it may be a difference in the freehubs between the wheels in question.

I don't really see myself buying SR cassettes, although I do have a Record 11-25 which I don't ride that often. Titanium cogs have a diminishing value or 'return on investment' in any size under 21 teeth in my view. Bigger cogs have a bigger weight differential between steel and Ti, and the smaller ones wear faster. Nice to have slightly lighter gear but the cost-benefit argument of dollars per gram isn't always the best rationale. A Super Record 11-23 cassette is the absolute lightest Campagnolo make but definitely the least durable.

With a well-maintained drivetrain, regular cleaning and chain replacement, the larger-sized (three of 21, 23, 25, 26, 27 or 29) Ti cogs should be OK for a few thousand km's wear, each. I wouldn't expect the average lifespan of a 16t or 17t Ti cog to get anywhere near that. There again, 95% of the time I'm riding my Campy equipped bike it's a Chorus cassette on there.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    No. I am using Campy Record hubs for the Athena cassette. The SR11 cassette is on a set of Reynolds wheels. You might have a point there.
    yes

I use also SR11 on record hubs, smooth as silk since day one ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    The drivetrain has always been especially smooth and quiet on my Athena equipped bike and the drivetrain on the Super Record equipped bike has never quite settled in.
    Hmm. Is that an early SR? I had that, and never was quite pleased. Just recently I swapped the right hand shifter body for a 2013 Record and the (2009) SR RD for a 2013 Record RD. Now it shifts and feels very similar to the way I remember my 2002 Record ten speed.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't think there was an Athena cassette? The Athena group uses a Chorus cassette.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Sogno figured so.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelPaul View Post
    I didn't think there was an Athena cassette? The Athena group uses a Chorus cassette.
    Yep, there's no Athena cassette.