BB30 adapter advice
    RoadBikeReview Member

BB30 adapter advice

I'm going to be installing the Campy BB30 adapters for my Ultratorque crankset in a Cannondale frame.

The instructions seem to indicate to just put in dry - is that it, or is there some grease or locktite product needed?? thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Might be late but Campy has a video of that installation on YouTube

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker
    Might be late but Campy has a video of that installation on YouTube
    thanks. I just banged them in. so far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not sure if you should have banged them in - you should have used a press for it. I did and it works fine, though I do get some creaking when I stand. I put mine in dry, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not sure if you should have banged them in - you should have used a press for it. I did and it works fine, though I do get some creaking when I stand. I put mine in dry, too.

Road-Guy
    Mar 2010

Tricky Pressfit Issues

I have experienced many problems with an SR crankset on a Scott Addict R1 with a BB86 integrated shell. The cups were pressed in with carbon paste but never held. There was always crank movement and creaking. Locktite did not solve the problem.

I considered epoxy to permanently secure the cups but instead requested a warranty replacement from Scott. The 2010 R1 was replaced with a 2010 RC with a threaded bottom bracket and an integrated seat mast. Everything has improved as the UT crank position and stability is now perfect.

Interesting point. A friend with a Scott Addict press fit BB86 upgraded to Campy 11 components has experienced no negative issues. His cupset was installed with Locktite.

I've condensed this story for brevity. Ultra Torque cranks and any pressfit bottom bracket, BB30 or BB86 are "hit or miss" depending on the tolerancing of the particular frame.

For my money, I'll take a threaded BB for my ride. Pressfit is the answer to the question that NOBODY was asking, especially for Campagnolo UT.
    Road-Guy

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Feldman
    For my money, I'll take a threaded BB for my ride. Pressfit is the answer to the question that NOBODY was asking, especially for Campagnolo UT.
    Having ridden a few FSA cranksets, owning a few Campag UT crankssets, and having tested them on the same frame/wheelset, you're absolutely right: stiffness is not a problem for Campag UT. It is significantly better than even high-end FSA stuff.