Campy 11 speed shifting with SRAM 10 speed chainrings
    RoadBikeReview Member

Campy 11 speed shifting with SRAM 10 speed chainrings

So Im considering a change from SRAM to Chorus 11 speed but I have a Quark Cinqo built around a SRAM crank withe SRAM red chain rings. I'm wondering will that shift well with the new 11 speed. I can't afford to switch the cranks out and even replacing the rings withe FSA 11 speed rings is not an option due to the fact those rings do not calibrate well. I know the widths are not much off but my concern is chain suck with an 11 speed chain (or is it possible to use a 10 speed) and also the down shift from the big ring (use 9 speed rings withe 10 speed SRAM cause the chain to sometimes not seat on down shift but instead skip along the top of the small rings teeth)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thoughts...

Chain suck has nothing to do with this combination. Chain suck is the result of worn chainrings.

Using a 9 speed ring may or may not have an effect, but if the tooth to tooth spacing is truly wider with the 9 speed ring, that's certainly not needed.

Don't use a 10 speed chain, it's too wide to fit between the cogs. Chains are always designed to provide ample clearance between the cogs and chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Chain suck has nothing to do with this combination. Chain suck is the result of worn chainrings.

Using a 9 speed ring may or may not have an effect, but if the tooth to tooth spacing is truly wider with the 9 speed ring, that's certainly not needed.

Don't use a 10 speed chain, it's too wide to fit between the cogs. Chains are always designed to provide ample clearance between the cogs and chain.
    I won't be using 9 speed rings I will be using 10 speed rings and Im wondering if that will be and issue shifting wise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

well...

Most people report no problems. I guess you'll find out for sure when you try it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Most people report no problems. I guess you'll find out for sure when you try it.
    Actually with a definative answer I prolly wont try it, would like to try campy but its not worth the price to switch just to have "ok" shifting. I realize that with 11 speed cranks this would be no issue but right now I don't see a way to get around that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Buy an Athena 11sp crank from Ribble for $225 +$20 cups and sell the SRAM crank you have. If it is BB30 just buy those cups. CAMP10 10% discount code still works even though the banner is not there telling you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjacobsen3
    Buy an Athena 11sp crank from Ribble for $225 +$20 cups and sell the SRAM crank you have. If it is BB30 just buy those cups. CAMP10 10% discount code still works even though the banner is not there telling you.

That won't work the campy crank will not work with my Cinqo.