Campy 11 speed shifting with SRAM 10 speed chainrings
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 32and3cross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,135

    Campy 11 speed shifting with SRAM 10 speed chainrings

    So Im considering a change from SRAM to Chorus 11 speed but I have a Quark Cinqo built around a SRAM crank withe SRAM red chain rings. I'm wondering will that shift well with the new 11 speed. I can't afford to switch the cranks out and even replacing the rings withe FSA 11 speed rings is not an option due to the fact those rings do not calibrate well. I know the widths are not much off but my concern is chain suck with an 11 speed chain (or is it possible to use a 10 speed) and also the down shift from the big ring (use 9 speed rings withe 10 speed SRAM cause the chain to sometimes not seat on down shift but instead skip along the top of the small rings teeth)

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,154

    thoughts...

    Chain suck has nothing to do with this combination. Chain suck is the result of worn chainrings.

    Using a 9 speed ring may or may not have an effect, but if the tooth to tooth spacing is truly wider with the 9 speed ring, that's certainly not needed.

    Don't use a 10 speed chain, it's too wide to fit between the cogs. Chains are always designed to provide ample clearance between the cogs and chain.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 32and3cross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Chain suck has nothing to do with this combination. Chain suck is the result of worn chainrings.

    Using a 9 speed ring may or may not have an effect, but if the tooth to tooth spacing is truly wider with the 9 speed ring, that's certainly not needed.

    Don't use a 10 speed chain, it's too wide to fit between the cogs. Chains are always designed to provide ample clearance between the cogs and chain.
    I won't be using 9 speed rings I will be using 10 speed rings and Im wondering if that will be and issue shifting wise.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,154

    well...

    Most people report no problems. I guess you'll find out for sure when you try it.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 32and3cross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Most people report no problems. I guess you'll find out for sure when you try it.
    Actually with a definative answer I prolly wont try it, would like to try campy but its not worth the price to switch just to have "ok" shifting. I realize that with 11 speed cranks this would be no issue but right now I don't see a way to get around that.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    247
    Buy an Athena 11sp crank from Ribble for $225 +$20 cups and sell the SRAM crank you have. If it is BB30 just buy those cups. CAMP10 10% discount code still works even though the banner is not there telling you.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 32and3cross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,135
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjacobsen3
    Buy an Athena 11sp crank from Ribble for $225 +$20 cups and sell the SRAM crank you have. If it is BB30 just buy those cups. CAMP10 10% discount code still works even though the banner is not there telling you.

    That won't work the campy crank will not work with my Cinqo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.