FD Athena11 will it work with 10speed cassett and chain?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

FD Athena11 will it work with 10speed cassett and chain?

FD Athena11 will it work with 10speed cassett and chain? My shifting is fiction...I just want to make sure there's no chain rub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

well...

Just about all FDs creates chain rub unless you trim the cage at some point. The 11 speed FDs have the narrowest cage width ever made by Campy, since the chain is only 5.5mm in width, compared to the 5.9mm 10 speed chain.

Why choose this FD over a cheap Centaur or Veloce 10 FD?
    Last edited by C-40; 06-22-2010 at 04:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Well....I should have gotten the Centaur 10 front...but ordered the Athena since it was a better group not realizing it was Athena 11. I might have to get the Centour 10 then.

all the gear - no idea
    Sep 2003

yes

Quote Originally Posted by mycl500
    FD Athena11 will it work with 10speed cassett and chain? My shifting is fiction...I just want to make sure there's no chain rub.
    yes works fine for me with both a standard and compact chainset - some fiddling to eliminate chain rub but that's why campy permits FD trim

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by mycl500
    I used a Chorus 11 FD with an otherwise 10 sp 50/36 drivetrain for a while with no problems. The cage of the FD is a little narrower than a 10 sp FD, so you just have to get used to trimming more carefully.

I hope that your shifting is not pure fiction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Thx for all the feedbacks. It took me like 1 hr to make all the adjustment to make the Athena 11 worked. I have to trim when on my 42 and high gear 13-15.

Here's my upgrade...I was running everything 1987 Super Record but needed new wheels:

1. Fulcrum Racing 5
    2. Centaur 10 sp cassette.
    3. Record 10 sp chain.
    4. Anthena 11 FD (I ordered the Centaur 10 anyway). I hade to make this upgrade due to the SR cable bolt hole got stripped (bad design but it lasted me 23 yrs)
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Myci500,
    Very nice bike but the forum cannot look the other way and condone those wheels and that Athena 11spd front derailleur with you beautiful vintage SR crank and derailleur. You are mixing at best 7 speed and 11 speed. Tell your wife you need another bike with all 11spd Athena and the one shown being kept pure SR (we can overlook the C record levers).
    Moral issues aside, how is the 10 speed chain working with the old derailleur and crank?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I had to get new wheels due to the the Matrix ISO II gone bad...due to having for 23 yrs now. I had to change out the super record FD due to bold hole got striped. Shifting is fine with the Athena 11 but I will put in Centaur 10 for the FD. Surprisingly the Record 10sp
    Chain has no problem with the 87 SR Crank chainrings. BTW the C-record level I got it like 22.5 yrs ago b/c I didn't like the Gum Hood and I can routed Aero...the was the coolest invention at the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I love fiction shifting....it just work with everything out there. Everything works like a charm with the new setup....the 1987 SR is one of the best groupset (expect FD the hole was too soft...just bad design) and the GIOS still rides wonderfully. This is is it in terms of upgrade (which I was forced to do). Going go get a Carbon bike and SR set to last me another 25 yrs....then I should go into retirement by then.