HELP..2008 UT Record Crank Arm Rub
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

HELP..2008 UT Record Crank Arm Rub

to all who can help i appreciate it in advance, here is the situation:
    Building up a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma stock size of 56, have a 2008 campy record kit go with it. My LBS was building it up and discovered that the drive side crank arm was hitting the chain stay. The cranks are 175mm doubles. But here is the puzzle. We put a DA 7800 175mm crank set on the bike and no rub? Am I S.O.L with the UT design or will i be able to use the 2006 square taper crank set i have? is the BB wider in the 2006 set up? please anyone who can help chime in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

I would say that you are SOL with regard to the UT crank. There is no ability to alter the crank position with this design, since the BB shell width must be 67.2-68.8mm.

I don't know how the UT crank width compares to the earlier model square taper, although I doubt there is any significant difference in the tread width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you buy the frame straight from Dario? Check the link below for a similar situation (but non-drive side) from a few years back. Sounds like it might be of the same vintage if your is a used frame.

Might be worth an email to him just to try and clear up the issue nonetheless as it was definitely designed with the capability to run Campy cranks and you shouldn't have to deal with the problem

http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19372

p.s., clipped from the previous thread so you can see the description of his situation:

Pegoretti disappointment....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered a Big Leg Emma one year ago. Flew to Vegas to meet Dario at Interbike 2005 where he measured me for frame fit. Then I waited 9 months for the frame to arrive. Dropped it off today to be built up with brand new Campy Record group, Eurus wheels, the works... Mechanic called me mid-build to tell me about a 'crank issue.'

The non-drive side arm of the Campy Record carbon compact crankset touches the left chain stay. Barely kisses it, but it does make contact, and any load whatsoever (I applied 'load' with my little finger while rotating the cranks) pushes the arm firmly against the chain stay. It was properly installed with a torque wrench, so it's not an issue of being torqued too hard. The bottom bracket is standard Italian 70 x 102. Crank arm length is 175mm as I specified when I was fit for the bike. (A shorter crank arm length would make no difference anyway and still rub the chain stay). And there's no way I want to 'correct' it by using a triple BB or by switching out to another brand of crankset altogether.

I'm heart broken, sickened and stumped by this discovery. I had the mechanic remove all the parts and the frame is now back in its box.

I will contact the shop I ordered it through on Wednesday.

But...what the 'f' could be wrong? Is this an oversight or defect in the build? Is this something that can be remedied by 'cold setting' the tubes? (I don't know how that could be done, given the beefiness of the rear triangle. The rear wheel was centered in the stays, the frame appeared to be aligned - plus it was prepped by the shop before it was shipped to me where any alignment issues I would hope would have been caught.)

Does anyone have any idea what will have to be done to remedy this problem?

I'm just really bummed and want some answers.
    Last edited by kjmunc; 05-19-2009 at 12:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    No its a stock 56 which is a great fit for me. I was looking at Phil Wood BB but dont know. I am in the army and this happened while i was on leave..am currently overseas and will be back in August. I contacted Gita about it and awaiting a response. Its all stripped down for when i get back in August for a solution. Thanks for this post reference. a great insight.

Big is relative
    I've had two different UT cranksets on my 60cm Big Leg Emma with no issues. The first was an alloy Centaur and now I have a Record 11. Pegoretti should make it right and you shouldn't have to resort to a PW bottom bracket. I'll look at my chainstays when I get home take a picture. I ride a Gunnar to work.
    Retired sailor