Length of 11 speed Ergo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Length of 11 speed Ergo levers

The new 11 speed Ergo levers have a longer body. You can fit three fingers easily underneath. For the people who have switched from the 9/10 shape Ergo to 11 Ergo on the same bike, is the reach while riding the hoods longer? Assuming the same stem length and same hadlebars reach. Do you need to shorten the stem, bars if using the longer 11 Ergo.
    Last edited by RussellS; 02-19-2010 at 08:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

maybe...

I did some really careful measurements, using a dowel rod spanning between the brake hoods and came up with a reach increase in the 3-5mm range. I did not make any changes to the stem length when I changed three bikes over to 11 speed. I use Easton EC90-SLX3 bars.

The reach to the brake levers from the hooks is a bit shorter, but not much. I've got really short fingers and always need to get the brake lever closer to the bars. That can be done quite easily with a little epoxy putty applied to the ergo body, were the brake lever stop pin touches it. I've done this minor modification to ergo levers for many years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I thought the reach of the newer levers was shorter than the previous models.
    My dilemma now is I am not crazy about the 2008 record shifters I have now.

I wanted to put on a set of the 2010 Centaur shifters as I have read the brake lever reach has been reduced while in the drops. Can anyone confirm that the newer 2010 10S centaur does in fact have a shorter reach for grappbing the brakes while in the drops?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

yes....

The reach to the brake levers is less, but not much, just a few millimeters. Read my earlier repsonse. The reach can be reduced much more, if desired.

Officially, Campy says the distance from the back of the hook to the front of the brake lever has been reduced by 4%, which is only 3-4mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The reach to the brake levers is less, but not much, just a few millimeters. Read my earlier repsonse. The reach can be reduced much more, if desired.

Officially, Campy says the distance from the back of the hook to the front of the brake lever has been reduced by 4%, which is only 3-4mm.

What kind of Epoxy did you use I tried JB weld and some other eopoxies and they are all not sticking to the body. I sanded the body with some 80 grit to get it ready, cleaned with alcohol to make sure the body is ready but still I can peal the epoxy off with my finger nails. Just not sticking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

putty...

Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman
    What kind of Epoxy did you use I tried JB weld and some other eopoxies and they are all not sticking to the body. I sanded the body with some 80 grit to get it ready, cleaned with alcohol to make sure the body is ready but still I can peal the epoxy off with my finger nails. Just not sticking
    There are a number of putties that should stick. Putty is much easier to use than a glue-type product. Devcon, Loctite and other brands sell 5-minute putties. Maybe use a little acetone before applying and remember that full adhesion might take 24-48 hours. Even then, the adhesion isn't real strong, but that makes the alteration reversable.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(bq...aspx?SKU=12451