New pictures of Campagnolo Electronic Groupset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

Air Force
    I really am not liking the way the new shifters are looking. Not very Italian or is it just me??

Jul 2007
    Still looks a bit rough for final production, IMHO.

Did you ever think you've have a LAN on your bike?

I imagine at some point they'll go digital w/ the data and run the power and shift/data signals over the same network.

You can already see the future generation of frames w/ embedded circuitry for power/data. They could just run a ribbons of copper under the cosmetic weave on most CF frames w/ water-resistant connections.

To answer your question - not too crazy about the shifters. I frankly prefer the look of the new dura ace shifters to what I've seen of the new campy stuff.

The good news is that since our gear can be maintained and last essentially forever, we can keep our flat hoods.
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

Jan 2008
    Those hoods can sway alot of Campy users from even considering switching when it comes out ..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    So we spend thousands of $ on lightweight parts to only to pack on the weight with a battery to power all this crap?

Right. Great idea.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newridr
    So we spend thousands of $ on lightweight parts to only to pack on the weight with a battery to power all this crap?

Right. Great idea.
    wouldn't knock it yet - battery tech is improving all the time - I suspect, like it or not, that in the not too distant future, the most expensive gear will be all electric and the bikes will have integrated systems.

the rest of us will be riding retro bikes with cable operated shifters and separate power sources for various sensors.

I'm with you - looks like a solution in search of a problem, but engineers need jobs too.
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

RBR Veteran Opinionater

I have an electric screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by millerinva
    I'm with you - looks like a solution in search of a problem, but engineers need jobs too.
    It's how we get great stuff. I understand how silly some things seem - I remember when clusters with more than 5 gears came out, many of us thought they were ridiculous. Does anyone who has ridden a 10 (5X2) speed want to give up indexed 10s to go back?

As they develop this, I bet we'll see nearly automatic shifting, with sensors that trim the FD, and even the RD.
    Escalate. Always escalate.