Partial upgrade to 11 speed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

Partial upgrade to 11 speed

I have 2006 Chorus and I am thinking of upgrading some of the group to Chorus 11 speed. Can I just buy the shifters, rear derailleur, cassette and chain (and tool)? Or do I also need the front derailleur and crankset? Thanks,

Guy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    You're crankset will work just fine. You might want to get the front der.... they aren't too much money. Some reports say they got it to work with the old one... but most agree the new front ders shift better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is 2006 the bottom bracket type? That's what I have, and I'd just as soon keep the crankset and just add ergo, etc. when I switch over. I have a short rear 10 derailleur, will that have enough chain-wrap for a 12-27 11 speed? Can I just change out the pulley wheels, or do I need to get a rear derailleur, too?
    Last edited by David Loving; 01-26-2009 at 06:21 AM.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

Nearly all of these questions have been asked and answered long ago, if you look down the page. Just about any 10 speed crank will work and so will most FDs. Here's some new info on the 10 speed RD. You will need the chain tool unless you want to risk joining the chain with a link like the SRAM 10 powerloc.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=160601

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very ingenious. IIUYC, the diameter of the lower fixing bolt is reduced, shortening the lever arm.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe we should have one sticky thread about all 10-11 speed compatibility issues.

BTW I don't remember we covered this version:
    11 sp FD with 10 sp cranks
    Real life situation: you might get shiny new 11 speed stuff and then 10 days before going to Alps realize there is no 29t 11 sp cassette yet. Suddenly compact cranks make sense, but can't justify expense of Chorus/Record/SR cranks. For those 10 days logical is to get 10sp Veloce cranks. By now we all know now that it will shift, but how good?
    Oh, and I'm not talking about myself...it is my friend.
    Last edited by smokva; 01-26-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

I've use both 10 and 11 speed FDs with 10 speed cranks. Either one will work. Their is only a trivial .6mm difference in the chainring spacing. FD's have lots of adjustment between the limit screws and cable tension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    I've use both 10 and 11 speed FDs with 10 speed cranks. Either one will work. Their is only a trivial .6mm difference in the chainring spacing. FD's have lots of adjustment between the limit screws and cable tension.
    That's great, so I'll..ehmmm my friend will buy Veloce CT cranks before Alps this summer
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...