Rear derailleur performance tweek?
    Self-Banned

Rear derailleur performance tweek?

I've always had a chronic problem with missed/under shifting my rear rear derailleur (up shifting to the next largest cog) going back to the first Campy Ergo levers in the '90s and it continues to this day with 11 speed. I never had a problem mastering perfect shifting technique back in the old days of Super Record with friction shifters.

I know the reason is that I'm not able to easily actuate complete rotations (clockwise motion) of the right shifter paddle to one click consistently (coming just short) to always make clean/crisp shifts up the cassette and I believe this problem is attributable to my small hands and short fingers.

I've been thinking about whether there may be a simple modification I can make to the system so it functions better for my ergonomic needs and I wonder whether just a touch more travel of the RD for each rotation of the shifter paddle may be the solution. I'm thinking about C-40's mod to the mounting bolt to convert 10 speed RDs for 11 speed shifting.

Thoughts... Suggestions... C-40?

EDIT: Thought about it more and realize slightly more travel alone wont work.
    Last edited by rocco; 03-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Off the back
    I suggest you go to Dura Ace.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd
    I suggest you go to Dura Ace.

If anyone wants to give me a Di2 group I'd consider it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thoughts...

Maybe use a bit more cable tension. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. I have short fingers too. The only problem I have is reaching the brake lever from the hooks. I can fix that. A little epoxy putty on the ergo body, behind the quick release pin brings the brake levers in closer. I find the new 11 speed easier to operate and more precise than the previous design. Can't complain at all. I did have some of the problems you describe with 10 speed Centaur levers. With such a vague click, I often got lazy and didn't move the lever far enough. I fixed that by converting the shifters to 11 speed.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Maybe use a bit more cable tension. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. I have short fingers too. The only problem I have is reaching the brake lever from the hooks. I can fix that. A little epoxy putty on the ergo body, behind the quick release pin brings the brake levers in closer. I find the new 11 speed easier to operate and more precise than the previous design. Can't complain at all. I did have some of the problems you describe with 10 speed Centaur levers. With such a vague click, I often got lazy and didn't move the lever far enough. I fixed that by converting the shifters to 11 speed.
    Thank you... I was afraid this would be the case. I have my cable tension tuned up very close to max. but I'll try to see if I can squeeze in just a touch more tension without mucking up the down shift performance. I might also have to see about an epoxy extension for my right index finger.