Record Red ergopower pricing
    Rocket Scientist

Record Red ergopower pricing

What's a fair deal for a set of the team issue Record Red ergopower? I received an extra pair of them and don't need them since the '09 stuff is arriving soon. Consequently, I'll probably sell them. I see them going on eBay for $640+ which I think is a total rip off. I also see Competitive Cyclist asking $700 for them. Definitely not a fair price, imo, and the sample size is too small to make a judgement on the real going rates. So what have people seen them selling for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Sherpa23; 09-16-2008 at 11:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thoughts...

All they are is a standard pair with stiffer g-springs and an aluminum g-spring carrier. You can get a conversion kit pretty cheap. Sellthem on e-bay and start the bidding at what you paid for them. If no one bids, the price is too high.

I just got the 2009 Centaur ergopower levers installed. A nice improvement over 2008 Record, IMO.

Rocket Scientist
    I was trying not sell them on eBay but I think that since no one knows what the market price seems to be, it might be the only way to go.

I know that there are supposed conversion kits available but I don't know how well they work. Before I knew I was receiving a 2nd set of red lovers, I figured I would convert my other regular record levers. So I looked up posts on here about them and I found things like this:

"I tried the so called RED UPGRADE and i did not feel a difference. Actually, when i look at the ring that was removed from my shifters (metal one by the way) i cannot see what the difference is between the supposedly red upgrade and the regular one. i think i just wasted 80 + dollars in a gimmick."

and this:
    "no offense to anyone that has purchased these, but it all seems like a load of bullshit. i read "new Campagnolo Race metal spring carrier and bushing and firmer Race G-springs" and question it.

new Campy Race metal spring carrier and bushing? how's it different from the normal metal spring carrier and metal washer that can be found in non-Record shifters? I wonder if my customers know that I'm upgrading them to Campy Ergo Red bits and pieces?

and firmer G-springs? AKA slightly bent standard G-springs?"
    Last edited by Sherpa23; 09-16-2008 at 03:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

more thoughts...

I suppose that someone could sell bogus conversion kits, but that is all there is to it. My Record ergos all have a plastic composite g-spring carrier.

I guess you could ask $450 and see if someone bites, but regular levers are $350 or less, so you may not get any takers. It is interesting that the new ultra shift mechanism is just the opposite with right finger lever clicks that can scarcely be felt or heard. The thumb buttons and left finger lever still have significant clicks.

Rocket Scientist
    Wow. Interesting. I'm picking up my '09 stuff at interbike so I don't have it yet to see but do you think that you could swiitch the carrier and the g spring from the red levers to the '09 10 speed levers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

no...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23
    Wow. Interesting. I'm picking up my '09 stuff at interbike so I don't have it yet to see but do you think that you could swiitch the carrier and the g spring from the red levers to the '09 10 speed levers?
    The '09 ultra shift is an entirely new design. There is not supposed to be any cross compatibility with the old design. The new design is supposed to greatly reduce wear, probably by eliminating the g springs entirely. Whenever Campy post the exploded spare part PDF, more will be known.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I was bidding on a set of the red levers about a month ago, and stopped bidding once they got to $400. They ended up selling for $480. Another pair after them sold for about that much. So, I bought a set of ordinary 2008 Record levers from PRK for $250.

Put the levers on ebay and you will get the market price for them. If ebay isn't a good place to find out what the "market price" is, I have no idea what would be.

Rocket Scientist
    Thanks. Looks like eBay will have to be where I put them. I'll let the market figure it out. I was thinking that $450 or so would be what they go for so $480 makes sense. Either way, I'll just put it on there and let it rip. I would have preferred not to go via ebay (I was thinking about veloswap) but for this, it will probably be the way to go. Thanks, definitely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Branford Bike told me the Red shifters actually use the composite carrier, even though everyone seems to be selling the "upgrade" with the alloy. Anyone opened up the Red and checked it out?

Feb 2004
    The 09 Campy small parts catalog was posted somewhere. As I was told a few weeks ago, G-Springs are gone.

Oddly enough, SR, R, and C share the same lever body, and there's no part number for the bearings...I'm wondering what the big difference is between R and C, as the only difference I'm seeing is the lever blade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    The 09 Campy small parts catalog was posted somewhere. As I was told a few weeks ago, G-Springs are gone.

Oddly enough, SR, R, and C share the same lever body, and there's no part number for the bearings...I'm wondering what the big difference is between R and C, as the only difference I'm seeing is the lever blade.

Chorus was reported in Campy literature to have a bushing on the main shaft, instead of ball bearings. Centaur lever should be nearly identical, except for the 10 speed indexing.

The spare parts PDF says differently, with only one spare parts number for the ergo body, with the bearings for ALL models. No telling which one is correct at this point.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...s09-A-1509.pdf
    Last edited by C-40; 09-21-2008 at 07:06 AM.

kytyree
    C-40, would you mind elaborating on the advantages of the new Centaur over the older Record levers.

Thanks.

Rocket Scientist
    Put them on eBay, someone hit the buy it now in the first 12 hours. Guess I still don't know what the true market price is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    What was the Buy It Now price and what was the starting price? Since I started using ebay 2 years ago, I have been a pretty big fan of it.

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    What was the Buy It Now price and what was the starting price? Since I started using ebay 2 years ago, I have been a pretty big fan of it.

Sorry for the late reply - only just saw this:

BIN was $530 including shipping and new set of cables. I think that I started it at $0.