Saying goodbye to an old friend
    RoadBikeReview Member

Saying goodbye to an old friend

Hey guys...I know what you are all going to say here (knives coming out)....but it's time that I tried something different. I have been on Campagnolo groupsets all through out my time riding 15+ years but feel that I want a change..I am not turning my back on you guys so to be fare I would say "its not you, its me!" Its been great but I really want to give the BB30 system a go in my new Felt f series frame...

So I guess the only thing now is to decide what to do with the 11speed Chorus groupo I just got? Hang onto it cause I will come running back with my tail between my legs or get what I can?

Not sure but would like to hear some input on all of the above...

Ps I am on night shift and it makes me think stupid things

Stu
    S-Works Sl3 Project Black....nice!!

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Trying an inferior group will just make you appreciate Campagnolo all the more. I can't really decide what's crappier though Shimano or SRAM. Whatever you choose you'll wind up hating it. So, I guess it doesn't matter. Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Why can't you use your Campagnolo group with the Cannondale BB30 crank, which is supposed to be outstanding? I agree with cs1; if you agree that Campy 10 was great (and far better than Shimano and Sram), 11s will blow you away if you have not tried it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thoughts..

Try the BB 30 crank with the Chorus group - it should work fine. Sell the Chorus crank if you must, or use it with the BB30 adapter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    For all of the hype, can a normal rider, non pro, really tell the differance between BB30, BB30 with adapter, Ultra Torque, Campy non UT? With all of the technology that constantly trickles down to us, with stiffness and weight, I am not sure if most of us can really tell the differance. 30 yrs ago I could not tell the differance between Reynolds vs. Colombus. Now, Ceramic vs. non ceramic bearings? A Specialized with Zert inserts vs non Zert? If your frame is new it will of course feel different than your current ride, but will the BB30 make that big a differance? With adapter would you be able to use? On paper the engineering makes sense that it will be stronger, bigger BB shell and tubing, etc.. I just think about all the pros that generated all of that power without BB30 and still did ok. If you like Campy, stick with Campy. If you switch to another crank with Campy, you loose performace theoretically anyway. The Felt is stiff as hell for us mortals with anything between those pipes, the Campy is still as hell in any frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

no way

Correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive you used to ride a Colnago with Campagnolo?
    Now you purchased a Felt w/BB30?
    I hope you find what you are looking for...
    Sometimes you end up back where you began.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key
    For all of the hype, can a normal rider, non pro, really tell the differance between BB30, BB30 with adapter, Ultra Torque, Campy non UT?
    Well a pro can't either, as most independent testing has shown only a 1-6% increase in stiffness with BB30, which is also statistically insignificant. The mistake cannondale made with BB30 is they made the axle stiffer without considering how it reacts within a complete system. In any case it seems most crank manufacturers are embracing BBright now, which allows them to produce one crankest and have it be compatible with BBright, BB86, BB30, and BSA systems like Rotors new 3D+. That is the way of the future, BB30's proprietary axle length is too much of a pain for most manufacturers to deal with when there is a more universal standard available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey all thanks for you words..

Yeah I was on two Colnagos with Campag. 1 with Record and all the light trimings and one with Chorus 11speed and Racing 1s...but dont discount the 2011 Felt's they are going to be a hot item this year.

I have the Campagnolo press fit cups already so when the new frame comes I will give it a go.

Sure with all % talk these days its no wonder why people start think other things!! From my experiance on the Chorus 11speed so far I can say that it hasnt failed me yet. I have all the tooling you could need to keep it running right and she gets a going over every couple of days. (maybe here I just answered my own question)

One thing that did cross my mind before was getting a set of the Dal SL cranks...but damn those things are not cheap...Current 2011 Super Record cranks are even cheaper! So worth a mention if anyone has a set laying round.....PM me please

BTW at a 1000Aud for Force BB30 and 1600Aud for Red BB30 I am tempted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I had SL cranks with Campy

For what it's worth - I did two years of Campy Chorus 11 with a Cannondale SL crank. That crank is great, no doubt - and I moved the crank and the group set to two different frames: a cannondale super six and a CAAD 9. I wanted to go back to a 180mm crank and the SL crank only goes up to 175mm. Because of 11 speed I settled on going w/ a campy crank - you know what, after one ride I didn't notice any difference. Yes the Q factor is improved on the SL cranks, yes the weight is less, but the campy cranks are just as stiff and the campy BB30 cups are very well thought out. I did notice the longer length and if dale made a sl crank in 180mm I would go there, but I can't. I'm perfectly happy with my campy crank and bb30 cups. Perfectly happy. I will say this, though, both times I took out the SL cranks, the bottom bracket and spindle turned for crap. on the super six I had ceramic and on the caad the regular - both were pressed and installed by Dale and the spindle turned fine on install, but after when I took it off - turned for crap. I was certainly loosing wattage, but I of course didn't notice.

I race cat II for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWN Stu
    I have the Campagnolo press fit cups already so when the new frame comes I will give it a go.

One thing that did cross my mind before was getting a set of the Dal SL cranks...but damn those things are not cheap...Current 2011 Super Record cranks are even cheaper! So worth a mention if anyone has a set laying round.....PM me please

BTW at a 1000Aud for Force BB30 and 1600Aud for Red BB30 I am tempted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK I could be back...with out even turning my back yet!! Just picked up a set of BNIB Super Record cranks on a super record deal that was hard to say no to..Light, Stiff and Ceramics (nice to have) so I should be happy running these and not chance the Dal SLs were some are talking of slipping and sticking problems.