Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixt00l View Post
    Hello! I am back - a high-speed crash threw me out of the sport for a long time, and I am still recovering. It was totally my fault, as I had been warned about that descent :-( I quite hope you all are doing OK, without accidents / injuries. I now have more questions, since Campagnolo has introduced affordable 11s options. So the question should I go for 10s, or 11s remains...
    This time I want to do the best for my bike, so no skimping. All my option are within the budget, and I do not ride that much, so money would not be a problem. I realized that only when I get the best possible scenario, only then will I ride, instead of reading forums everyday. I currently have a Centaur ITA BB (the shorter Chorus BB made the chainset rub in the frame), a PZ Racing Carbon CT chainset with 34 /46, and a Veloce 9s 13-26 in the back, and the short cage 9s RD from 1998. The Chorus shifters from 1998 had been rebuilt and are now upgradeable to 10s, I mated them to the spectacular TRP CX 8.4 Sram / Campagnolo mini V-brakes. The Chorus RD had been checked in the UK service centre and the pulleys had been replaced. This setup has about 1000 miles on it. So it looks like I have 3 options :

1. Do not upgrade - just ride some 10 000 miles, until my repaired, like-new setup totally wears out. A local coach insist that for Audax, a 34x26 on a 11 kg bike is totally fine even for a 10-mile steep climb. He even insists that I HTFU, climbing at 34x15. By the way, I will buy the TA Specialites 33t inner ring :-)

2. Send the right lever to the UK service centre, to be upgraded to 10sp. This will match the two Chorus CT FDs that I own ( I bought two, so I can have a spare one ). And buy the Veloce RD in medium cage, and a 13-29. Not a big upgrade over the 9s 13-26, it will only add a 29t cog, nothing else. The local team coach recommends it instead of the 12-30, as the gradation of the easier gears is closer than on the 12-30. All in all, HTFU again :-) I tried my 9s Chorus levers with a 10s Veloce RD, and the Ultrashift worked fine. In some forums, experts claim the Power Shift RDs have a weaker spring that returns differently, and shifting would decrease over time ? The local coach insists tourist should not use Ultrashift, they should HTFU, and improve cadence and muscular power by carefully shifting 1 gear at a time, and avoid stressing the legs. I know a quite a fast local rider with a very high-end Cippolini with SR11, who also does not use the Ultrashift feature. On the other hand, I tried on other bikes the Veloce Ultrashift levers, and the Centaur 10s Power-shifts...and those smaller buttons are not my cup of tea. I am perfectly aware of the advantages of those affordable shifters, but I do not like them.

3. The more future-proof option is to either buy Potenza 11s levers, medium cage RD and chain, and Centaur 12-32 cassette ( it has the 16T that the 11-32 lacks ). Some people report this is the best shifting mechanical groupset that Campagnolo has to offer. Only that I do not know if that setup will work with the TRP CX 8.4 brakes, the 10s chainset with the 10s Chorus CT FD, and the Centaur 115.5 BB... Or buy Chorus 11s shifters and a medium cage Chorus HO RD for the 12-32 for better shifting quality ( not using the Ultra-shift feature ).
    Well, since you said no skimping I would go with option 3. Mixing parts is always a frustrating crap shoot. You can probably find a complete Potenza group in Europe for less than 850 euros. As far as the brakes I dont think the brake pull has changed so it "should" be OK if it worked before. BTW, I think that HTFU is great advice (unless training for Paris-Roubaix). Get the gears you are comfortable with

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    After countless hours of browsing, I found Athena 11s shifters and RD, all in Aluminium. I realized that I do not want plastic polymer bits - some people in this forum complained about the plastic bits in Potenza shifters and RD. A friend of mine has the highest-end SR11, and his carbon paddle that sits behind the brake lever snapped... I am curious about the shifting quality difference between Athena and Potenza. I even read that Athena long cage RD can take the new 32t cassettes. But I remember that some mechanics claim that a Campagnolo long RD does not work well with dual chainsets ? Here`s what I found so far :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...19.m1438.l2649

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixt00l View Post
    After countless hours of browsing, I found Athena 11s shifters and RD, all in Aluminium. I realized that I do not want plastic polymer bits - some people in this forum complained about the plastic bits in Potenza shifters and RD. A friend of mine has the highest-end SR11, and his carbon paddle that sits behind the brake lever snapped... I am curious about the shifting quality difference between Athena and Potenza. I even read that Athena long cage RD can take the new 32t cassettes. But I remember that some mechanics claim that a Campagnolo long RD does not work well with dual chainsets ? Here`s what I found so far :

I have both Athena (2013-ish) and Potenza groups. I don't think there is all that much difference in shifting performance, although Potenza will claim the the "Embrace technology" is the schit. I do prefer the "droopy" thumb shifter on Potenza as you can shift faster. Athena pre-dates the ability to use the 32t cassette so I do not think that will work. In fact, Campy claims the all the Potenza shifters and levers are not compatible with the rest of the line. I use the Potenza 32t cassette on my Lynskey and it works very well. Athena has the advantage that the silver shifters use aluminum for both the brake and shifter levers, making it a bit more retro looking. Potenza uses a composite for the shift lever

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I am also worried about longevity. Plastic or carbon levers are more prone to breaking, and losing their finish. Somehow I trust the all-metal levers and paddles more...On the other hand, I adore the way my 9s Chorus levers shift, although they are too slow and sometimes miss ( after being broken and rebuilt in Campag UK service centre ). I will not use the Ultrashift feature, as I am learining to ride in a different way, to improve cadence, but is it true that the Powershift mechanism is spongy and buttery, compared to the crisp, quick and clean Ultrashift ( speaking about single shifts only ) ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Cheapskate had asked me to share information about 32t, should I learn anything new. Campagnolo`s official website says you need a post-2015 medium cage RD from either groupset. And here`s what a famous technician has to say about it :

https://www.bikeforums.net/19646123-post17.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Well, since I am successfully recovering after some quite serious orthopedic problems that lastet for years, I am happy to say that I won`t get surgery. I started visiting a renowned fitness coach, changed my life completely - I cook my own, healthy food, I bought dozens of kilograms of protein / amino-acids, and for the first time in my life, I moved out to a very nice place, that was built just 3 years ago. Best of all - it has an awesome, roomy basements. My first thought was - I am buying two more bikes, so a total of 4!!!
    Back to this thread, I finally scored a decent deal for a used Campagnolo Chorus medium cage RD. Mr. Graeme was kind enough to explain that upgrading my 9-speed Ergo to 10 speed would cost just above 100 GBP. I think this is fair, and checking the RD and replacing the pulleys is a good idea, too. I still fancy rebuilds - less waste, better price savings, and I want aluminium levers and paddles. So, I use a Veloce 13-26 cassette in 9s, and I`d be able to use a 13-29 Veloce in 10s. I never use the 11-12 cogs, and I even rarely use the 13, as I amin the process of improving my cadence. Riding downhill on quite a bad asphalt, spinning like crazy resulted in precisely 69,96 km/h, which I find plenty for Audax. I am happy that the 11s Centaur 12-32 cassette has a 16T, instead of the 11T cog. I would not miss it for the world, this is why I abandoned the idea of buying a 10s Centaur 12-30 cassette.
    When I asked Mr.Graeme for his advice, he said he`d just buy 11s Chorus parts, if he was me. This seems like the obvious option, but I have 3 Chorus CT FDs, I payed 50 EUR for each of them, and I am afraid I won`t be able to use my PZ RACING COMPACT CARBON CHAINSET. It is for 10s, and it was not easy to find quality 34-46 chainrings in 110 BCD. This stops me for going 11s, and I do not know if I will be able to use my 3 sets of Ultrashift cables, part number CG-ER600R...The other thing that stops me is durability. I quite like the aluminium Potenza in silver, but a little browsing showed complaints about defects after just a few thousand miles for both Potenza and Chorus 11. Somehow I do not trust the newer design, nor do I like the feel of carbon levers. What are your thoughts, gents?

Last edited by Fixt00l; 1 Week Ago at 06:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key View Post
    Using a Shimano grease on a Campy part will result in a new world order, your wheels will only spin one way, your bottom bracket will only turn from 12 oclock to 6 oclock, your headset will only turn left. Big problems. Use Sram and your bike will only roll backwards.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234