weird observation re: bar-end & DT shifters
    duh...

weird observation re: bar-end & DT shifters

the 9-spd shift ring part # is SL-RE219, and has been since 9-spd was first introduced, i.e., it did not change when the rear derailleurs were redesigned with the introduction of 10-spd... is that not odd?

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    the 9-spd shift ring part # is SL-RE219, and has been since 9-spd was first introduced, i.e., it did not change when the rear derailleurs were redesigned with the introduction of 10-spd... is that not odd?
    The RDs didn't change for the 10-speed. - TF

EDIT - Campy - never mind. I know nothing of this. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred View Post

I'm also considering this.

I use an SL-RE219 in an orig. 8spd SL-01RE CG down tube shifter together with a 1996 8spd Record rear derailleur and a modern Record rear hub with 9spd cassettes: works fine.

Now I wonder whether the same setup will work together with a 2004 10sp rear derailleur where the pull ratio is supposed to have increased from 1.4 to 1.5. I guess I will have to shave off a little bit of that diameter (from 25 mm to 23.3?) where the cable uncoils on that shifter.

It could be the 9 speed notches of SL-RE219 make sense with the old pull ratio. The design of the 10 sp notches of SL-RE319 could compensate the 1.5 pull ratio of the 10 speed derailleurs and later though. Could, but not probable.

How many people may be around that use SL-01RE CG upgraded with SL-RE219 together with 9spd or 10sp cassettes and 1.5 pull ratio derailleurs ;-) Probably not too many.