Grands Tours and the classics on TV in Canada
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    kerosene
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3

    Grands Tours and the classics on TV in Canada

    Does anyone know how to get the Grands Tours and the classics on TV in Canada. I live around Montreal and contacted all the cable and satellite signals distributors and no one is offering something...


    Thank you

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by ingLatour
    Does anyone know how to get the Grands Tours and the classics on TV in Canada. I live around Montreal and contacted all the cable and satellite signals distributors and no one is offering something...


    Thank you
    Got to the city last year in May and looked desperately to find cable (apartment building, no alternative) that was showing cycling... I was lucky for the Tour de France since OLN Canada (otherwise known as "NO"LN) has a pretty decent coverage of the Tour. The other one is Canal Evasion (in French) and IMHO these guys don't have a clue when it comes to a) broadcasting a bike race and b) delivering a comment to what the spectator is seing.
    I've seen race coverage all over Europe and even the German TV has better coverage than Evasion...

    If you search real carefully you may be able to find some bits and pieces of cycling news (snippets of 10 seconds) in sports shows, news channels... but as to live or even tape delay coverage of Giro, Vuelta, LBL, Paris-Roubiax... fuggedabbouddit !

    See my comment on http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?...letters#Vuelta after last year's Vuelta where I was frustrated to the bone of having NO coverage of the race.

    There is an alternative if you have satellite. Have a "friend" get you a US dish and you get all the goodies that OLN US has... But as I said, no luck for me as my apartment building does not allow dishes.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: arctic hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchoux
    Got to the city last year in May and looked desperately to find cable (apartment building, no alternative) that was showing cycling... I was lucky for the Tour de France since OLN Canada (otherwise known as "NO"LN) has a pretty decent coverage of the Tour. The other one is Canal Evasion (in French) and IMHO these guys don't have a clue when it comes to a) broadcasting a bike race and b) delivering a comment to what the spectator is seing.
    I've seen race coverage all over Europe and even the German TV has better coverage than Evasion...

    If you search real carefully you may be able to find some bits and pieces of cycling news (snippets of 10 seconds) in sports shows, news channels... but as to live or even tape delay coverage of Giro, Vuelta, LBL, Paris-Roubiax... fuggedabbouddit !

    See my comment on http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?...letters#Vuelta after last year's Vuelta where I was frustrated to the bone of having NO coverage of the race.

    There is an alternative if you have satellite. Have a "friend" get you a US dish and you get all the goodies that OLN US has... But as I said, no luck for me as my apartment building does not allow dishes.
    Touch base with The Irregulars. Some members can probably help you out.
    http://www.irregulars.ca/forum/
    Me on running at RunningMania.com http://www.runningmania.com/forum/vi...15813&start=50

    In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate generously to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
    Proud supporter of local shops!

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    194

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by arctic hawk
    Touch base with The Irregulars. Some members can probably help you out.
    http://www.irregulars.ca/forum/
    Try to repost in the general section to get more hits. I know how you feel, I live in Ottawa and all I can get the TDF on OLN. I have wrote CAN OLN but they put on crap like Bass Masters and Bull Riding instead of classic european cycling. Go Figure?

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale_boy
    Try to repost in the general section to get more hits. I know how you feel, I live in Ottawa and all I can get the TDF on OLN. I have wrote CAN OLN but they put on crap like Bass Masters and Bull Riding instead of classic european cycling. Go Figure?
    Well I guess N-OLN has not figured out yet that there are potentially as much cycling enthusiasts as redneck-fishing-and-hunting-goobers... and I believe there are a few folks out there who are BOTH ! Let's e-mail NO! - LN and get them on our side !!!!

    http://www.tsn.ca/oln/contact.asp

    I'll send this one...

    I understand that you guys are a little more North-of-the-border-oriented and therefore show more Canadian shows... But I woulk like to know why you do not get more cycling into the schedule... I understand that fishing, hunting, and boating (just to name a few) are fun and may have their followers... But have you been in any cycling forums lately ? There are a LOT of cyclist out there and there are a lot of cycling enthusiasts out there...and there are a lot of Canadian cycling enthusiasts out there who have cable or satellite tv... and who would just LOOOOOOVE to see the same great coverage of the cycling world North of the borther as in the US.

    Thanks already for the Tour... that's really special... but what about the rest?

    Thx for your answer.
    Last edited by LSchoux; 05-23-2004 at 10:35 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178

    Angry No response, ey ? We'll see about that...

    Ok... Since my letter to OLN Canada has not had ANY reaction whatsoever from RDS (the guys in charge of programming OLN in Canada)... I will now step things up. Major cycling magazines in North America, a couple of Montreal Newspapers... a few cycling news sites... will ALL get a letter from me about Canada's cycling coverage in general.

    I'll sit down today and write it and will post it here (and any responses I'll get).

    Cheerio !
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: arctic hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchoux
    Ok... Since my letter to OLN Canada has not had ANY reaction whatsoever from RDS (the guys in charge of programming OLN in Canada)... I will now step things up. Major cycling magazines in North America, a couple of Montreal Newspapers... a few cycling news sites... will ALL get a letter from me about Canada's cycling coverage in general.

    I'll sit down today and write it and will post it here (and any responses I'll get).

    Cheerio !
    Have you written directly to RDS? I would be curious as whether they would respond or not considering they have excellent coverage for F1. I am mildly surprised / annoyed that RDS does not cover any cycling given that Team Rona is rather French Canadian, to say the very least & Lynn Bessette, though she rides for a US team, makes her home in La Belle Province. I suppose we can forget TSN (Toronto Sports Network) altogether. If the sport doesn't take place in Southern Ontario (for the most part), they cover less than RDS.

    I am going to guess that your best chance will be with Le Journal de Montreal. I don't know why but I just have this feeling ...
    Me on running at RunningMania.com http://www.runningmania.com/forum/vi...15813&start=50

    In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate generously to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
    Proud supporter of local shops!

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178

    Open letter to the world of cycling and Canadian TV executives

    Dear [Magazine or Whatever Media I will send this too],

    I am desperate because I cannot help but feel deeply frustrated about cycling in Canada.

    It’s this time of year again… Summer, sun and cycling. For a lot of us, riding a bike is more than just transportation, more than just physical exercise, more than just riding… it’s a way of life. Living in Montreal we experience a special kind of frustration every year when we are confronted with the ridiculously patched (if at all) roads that resemble (as one of my fellow riders put it) the “Ho Chi Min Trail after a bombardment”. But hold your comments, the famous Quebec-potholes are not the subject of this letter. There is another frustration if you love the sport of cycling. Since the Tour de France is upon us and since Canadian television viewers are graced with some coverage of the single biggest yearly sporting event in the world (yes the numbers of world-wide TV spectators and road spectators are higher for the 3 week Tour than for any other yearly sporting event) we cannot help but wonder why we are only blessed during this time of the year ?

    Now I do want to get of on a rant here: Why does OLN Canada only show the Tour de France and not (as their US counterparts) the spring classics, the Giro d’Italia, the Vuelta a Espana, other world cup races, … ? Why do the two biggest sports channels in Canada (namely RDS or TSN) not show any cycling ? Why does Canal Evasion (somewhat the French counterpart to OLN) not show more cycling ? Why ?

    I understand that Canadian TV stations are a little more North-of-the-border-oriented and therefore show more Canadian shows... I understand that fishing, hunting, and boating (just to name a few) are fun and may have their followers... But there are also millions of cyclists out there. There are thousands and thousands of cycling fans out there. We would welcome (even a tape delay or a summary report of races such as Liège-Bastogne-Liège, The Het Volk, or Milan-San Remo. And mind you, we are not picky… Show us a tape delay of a race at 3:00am and we WILL set our VCRs and tape it. Cut the race into small 5-minute segments and stuff the schedule with commercials for exercise machines, juicers and miracle hair growth products and we WILL not mind.

    I would love to see a program director go to a newsstand, compare the number of specialty magazines for boating, fishing, football, soccer, Formula 1, and cycling and sit down and rethink the overall schedule for the upcoming months.

    Cycling rules and should not be treated like the distant cousin that nobody wants to see all year round but is nevertheless invited for X-mas dinner (i.e. the Tour de France).

    Keep on riding and (hopefully more and more) watching !

    L Schoux
    Montreal, Canada
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: arctic hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchoux
    Cycling rules and should not be treated like the distant cousin that nobody wants to see all year round but is nevertheless invited for X-mas dinner (i.e. the Tour de France).
    Nice letter! I would prefer "Cycling is important and ..." as I personally hate using the slang "rules". It's really just me, I think, that hates that word for whatever reason.

    On a different note, do you ride along Gouin (near Pont Lachapelle) around 6:00pm on weekdays?

    A-Hawk
    Me on running at RunningMania.com http://www.runningmania.com/forum/vi...15813&start=50

    In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate generously to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
    Proud supporter of local shops!

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic hawk
    Nice letter! I would prefer "Cycling is important and ..." as I personally hate using the slang "rules". It's really just me, I think, that hates that word for whatever reason.

    On a different note, do you ride along Gouin (near Pont Lachapelle) around 6:00pm on weekdays?

    A-Hawk
    Nah, weekdays I usually hang around CamHoude, Clarke or any other climb up the Mount Royal... or the F1 track. Wednesdays are club nights and I ride with the gang out of Beaconsfield.... we usually head West to Perrot and beyond.

    I only made it a couple of times to Gouin, both on weekends.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Get channel 134 on Bell Expressvu (Canal Evasion)

    Hello,

    I just watched the Prologue on channel 134 (Canal Evasion) on Bell Expressvu here in Montreal.

    They will have daily shows regarding the TDF, and every day at 08:30am and supper time on CKAC radio there will be some comments from Louis Bertrand regarding the tour.

    This is all in french, but I just thought I would let yoy know !

    François_L

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by François_L
    Hello,

    I just watched the Prologue on channel 134 (Canal Evasion) on Bell Expressvu here in Montreal.

    They will have daily shows regarding the TDF, and every day at 08:30am and supper time on CKAC radio there will be some comments from Louis Bertrand regarding the tour.

    This is all in french, but I just thought I would let yoy know !

    François_L
    Sadly but true Canal Evasion has the Tour... Sorry François, I dunno if you like them or not... but these Bozos are as good at what they do (i.e. commenting a TV picture from their Studio here in Montreal) as my mother is riding a bike... Well ...bad analogy...you don't know my mom... Ok... ...here's a better one... as good as I am at making analogies !

    Seriously they stink. I believe they eat Valium in the morning to wake up. I watched the Team Time Trial, first on Tape (taped it from OLN) and since I was home and had nothing else to do... I also watched it on Evasion at night. Boy are the LAME. No excitement in their voice, NOTHING. Sorry but they don't cut it. Since I am perfectly bilingual (actually throw in some German and Italian in there too) and I've seen Belgian, French, German, Swiss, Italian, Eurosport (both English and German) and even Dutch commentaries before coming to Canada... I hate to say this but Canal Evasion is the "lanterne rouge" any may actually be in the broom wagon altogether.

    No, sorry to say this but other than an "All-For-Lance" OLN commentary there is no real alternative.

    But that's beside the point... and here comes the kicker: I WOULD EVEN WATCH THE SPRING CLASSICS, GIRO, VUELTA ... ON CANAL EVASION !!!! But allas... we're not out of the desert yet on that point ... ou comment on dit en Français: On n'est pas sorti de l'auberge !

    But that's just my opinion, I could be slightly wrong
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    178
    And another response to my letter on cyclingnews.com...

    Canadian TV
    I too have complained to OLN Canada regarding the horrible shows they choose to broadcast over cycling. After no responses I did some research and found that the CRTC only allows OLN to take up 5% of their broadcast time with professional sports. This year they applied to have that increased to 15% but were opposed by "The Score" who complained that since OLN was owned by TSN, they would be forcing The Score out of its market if OLN was allowed to increase its professional sports coverage (of course the Score has no inclination of showing the Classics or the other Grand Tours). The CRTC to my knowledge ruled in favour of OLN's request but with the condition (of course) they broadcast more Canadian made shows. So as far as I'm concerned we're getting crap cycling coverage because 1) OLN Canada believes strongman competitions from the early '90's will draw more viewers and 2) the CRTC believes the Canadian identity is at risk by a bunch of spandex-wearing euros (gotta love communism!).

    Geoffrey Webb
    Calgary, Alberta
    Monday, July 12, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------
    Driven, pushed, pulled, stretched, smacked, cracked and torn apart... by what's inside !

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    [QUOTE=LSchoux]And another response to my letter on cyclingnews.com...

    LSchoux,

    I agree with you that they could be much better, however this is better than nothing, it enables me to watch the tour every day.

    Being forced to stay at home for 5 days (medical) let's just say that I really enjoy the fact that I have something worthwhile to watch on TV !!!

    Enjoy your cycling season

    François

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    get an illegal dish, now

    Quote Originally Posted by LSchoux
    And another response to my letter on cyclingnews.com...

    2) the CRTC believes the Canadian identity is at risk by a bunch of spandex-wearing euros (gotta love communism!).

    Geoffrey Webb
    Calgary, Alberta
    Monday, July 12, 2004

    Well the CRTC can eat my spandex shorts! I'm getting an illegal US Sat dish some day ... trouble is, I already ponied up $600 for an Expressvu dish, PVR, 2yr contract just to tape the Tour, then later learned about the exclusion of all the other races. Exasperating! It was only a few years ago that TSN used to broadcast all the Classics and grand Tours while the US was left out. Tables turned, we're burned !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.